Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM

107 posts, read 195,962 times

Advertisements

I don't want to move but If that's standard to do with this situation, then I will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_volt View Post
I don't want to move but If that's standard to do with this situation, then I will

Depends what town in Union County. If, for instance, you live in Rahway, than you can take NJ Transit (NorthEast Corridor Line) to Princeton Junction & take the 600 bus to Lawrence.

It will all depend on exactly where you live & exactly where you work. Is your work on a bus line? Or, will you have to take a taxi every day from Princeton Junction to work? That would be extremely expensive.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:55 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,693,200 times
Not exactly a fun commute.

Are you single? Do you have a family to worry about? Need to have a better picture before I give recommendations.

If you are single, I absolutely would not do that commute. I would move closer, like an apartment in a nicer part of Ewing/West Windsor/East Windsor.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:13 PM

223 posts, read 321,618 times
My husband commuted from Hamilton to Newark (which I realize is in Essex county) for two years as a teacher. It was hell on earth for him. We didn't move for numerous reasons, the biggest being my stable job in Trenton and the low cost of living in our area. I'm still at my job in Trenton and he's no longer a teacher in Newark (thank God), so I'm glad we didn't move. So no, I don't recommend that commute, either.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:33 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,596,404 times
As others mentioned, the answer is IT ALL DEPENDS.
If you can manage to drive in after the rush hour or similar it might help. The distance is not too bad, about average for NJ. I would try it and depending on where in Union County maybe you could figure out a different way than US 1.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:14 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,792,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
My husband commuted from Hamilton to Newark (which I realize is in Essex county) for two years as a teacher. It was hell on earth for him. We didn't move for numerous reasons, the biggest being my stable job in Trenton and the low cost of living in our area. I'm still at my job in Trenton and he's no longer a teacher in Newark (thank God), so I'm glad we didn't move. So no, I don't recommend that commute, either.
How long was the commute one-way?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,809,336 times
Quote:
Not necessarily a good comparison, since the OP is going against traffic.

NJ Turnpike to I-195 isn't bad. I drive south.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Not necessarily a good comparison, since the OP is going against traffic.

NJ Turnpike to I-195 isn't bad. I drive south.
Yeah, it was about 1 hour 15 minutes or more depending on traffic and accidents. He took NJTP to GSP and the first toll plaza (name escapes me) would get really backed up. He would also leave home at no later than 6:20 am, so even though he was going "with" traffic, it was early enough that he was traveling before normal rush hour (and leaving before normal rush hour, as well, since he would generally be on the road home by 3:30 pm).

Old 06-28-2014, 02:53 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,809,336 times
Quote:
Yeah, it was about 1 hour 15 minutes or more depending on traffic and accidents. He took NJTP to GSP and the first toll plaza (name escapes me) would get really backed up. He would also leave home at no later than 6:20 am, so even though he was going "with" traffic, it was early enough that he was traveling before normal rush hour (and leaving before normal rush hour, as well, since he would generally be on the road home by 3:30 pm).
The NJ Turnpike connects with GSP at exit 11.
If he has EZ-Pass, it should be an easy transition.
I don't know why more people don't use it.

But as I wrote before, the OP is going south which is against traffic.
That makes a big difference around here.

I have commuted both going north and going south, and there simply is no comparison.
Going south in the mornings is so much easier.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
The NJ Turnpike connects with GSP at exit 11.
If he has EZ-Pass, it should be an easy transition.
I don't know why more people don't use it.
He does have EZ Pass. The toll plaza is just a bottleneck in the mornings, whether you have EZ Pass or not.

Good luck, OP. I would consider moving closer to your job if you don't want to waste your life commuting. I have a 10-15 minute commute to work and I love it. I would never recommend or consider (for myself) a commute that was more than 30 minutes one way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey