Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM

17 posts, read 244,044 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and every time I have wanted advice about certain areas, I have found the answers here. So long time lurker. Anyways, I am very hesitant checking out areas around the Newark area for obvious reasons. I am from the upper middle class suburbs around the Jersey Shore and just got a new full time job in the area working for the Catholic Church. I currently live in my parents house down by the shore and the commute kills me and my poor car!

My dream place would be a studio apartment on a quiet street with parking included. I don't need all that much room. The studio needs to have a stove!!! There are sooo many cheaper places out there (someone's attic) that I have found but they don't have a stove. I can't and don't want to go out to eat all that much. My ideal budget for rent is under $1000. There is some wiggle room there but I dont want to pay half my monthly salary on rent. I am a recent college graduate with no credit history (I don't want or need a credit card at this point in my life) and nothing on my record which would show up on a background check. I would like to keep it that way, so I don't want to live with people who might belong to gangs or really low-income people. For this reason i usually avoid listings welcoming section 8.

I would prefer to be north of Newark or at least north of my office in Newark. I have been looking at the areas that I included in my Title: East Orange, Belleville, Nutley, Montclair, Bloomfield etc.. I'd be willing to move to any one of these places and if there are nice places in Newark that I am not aware of, that would be ideal. I really like the Belleville area. Montclair is probably too expensive for me right now.

I have seen only two locations personally and looked at countless craigslist and zillow ads. I am trying to narrow down which apartment complex, if any, would be right for me and my wants. There really is no specific time frame and I am always on the lookout for the perfect place. Though, I think I would like to move within a month or two. Whether it would be a very small house or a room in a mansion. I am open to these other possibilities as well. However, I would like to avoid having roommates. Though it would be cool to live in a castle for a while.

I would love to hear from locals who have apartments in these areas. What the apartment is, who the residences are, how much you are paying etc... I would also like to have FIOS internet so let me know if FIOS is in your building. Yes, please tell me if gangs are living in your apartment complex so I can cross it off the list! If you live in a nice area of Newark please let me know. All I have heard about Newark is that it's a crappy area to be in. So any first hand accounts would be great.

Thanks for any help and advice! I appreciate it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 04:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Most of the New stuff is in Downtown Newark....which has cleaned up in recent years.... I did create a thread about the recent economy boom in Newark...The Recent Urban Revitalization Boom in Downtown Newark,New Jersey - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatenerd View Post
The studio needs to have a stove!!! There are sooo many cheaper places out there (someone's attic) that I have found but they don't have a stove. I can't and don't want to go out to eat all that much.
You could always just get a hot plate (or two) and they plug right in wherever you want. Couple that with a microwave and toaster/convection oven and you're good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey