Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM

53 posts, read 141,439 times

Advertisements

I just received a nice promotion (with a 35% salary increase), but the downside is I will be commuting to NYC near Battery Park effective next week. I have never had to commute to NYC for work in my life. This has me totally stressed out at the moment. I will be commuting from Bergenfield (near Hackensack). I know there are many options around here (buses, NJ Transit trains, PATH), but I need some help figuring out my *best* option.

I would like to rely on mass transit as *little* as possible, so I'm thinking of driving to Harrison, parking in the garage next to the PATH station, taking the PATH to WTC and walking the slightly less than 3/4 mile to my office. The other option I'm considering would be to drive to Hackensack (much closer to me of course) pay a few dollars to park in the New Bridge Landing lot, take a NJ Transit train to Hoboken, take the Path to NYC and walk my same 3/4 mile to the office.

I *like* to drive, so driving to Harrison in my own car sounds much more comfortable to me than waiting and riding on a train from Hackensack. I do realize the drive will be approx. 35 min. without traffic. I plan to give myself an hour for the drive just to be safe. AM I COMPLETELY NUTS IN THINKING THIS IS DO-ABLE? I do realize I might be better off with a train or bus in snow though right??

I just leased my car last year and feel like I will be completely *wasting* my lease if I don't use the car for at least part of my commute. I realize it it will cost me more for gas and tolls (if I drive on toll routes).

Is it relatively safe for a woman commuting alone to take the PATH train from Harrison? It sounds like the area around the PATH station has been "revitalized" in recent years.

Is it likely that I will get a seat or will I be standing the whole ride to and from the WTC? I plan to get on the PATH between 7:45am and 8:00am. Should I plan it differently? I have to be to my office at 9:00am.

I do plan to branch out once I'm comfortable and try the NJ Transit train thing and even the bus from Bergenfield to the Port Authority. I just want to get myself there and back comfortably, efficiently and as stress free as possible the few weeks.

Also, does it sound reasonable to think I'll be able to "walk" the 3/4 mile to and from the PATH @ WTC to my office?

ANY help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,460,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsanonymous View Post
I just received a nice promotion (with a 35% salary increase), but the downside is I will be commuting to NYC near Battery Park effective next week. I have never had to commute to NYC for work in my life. This has me totally stressed out at the moment. I will be commuting from Bergenfield (near Hackensack). I know there are many options around here (buses, NJ Transit trains, PATH), but I need some help figuring out my *best* option.

I would like to rely on mass transit as *little* as possible, so I'm thinking of driving to Harrison, parking in the garage next to the PATH station, taking the PATH to WTC and walking the slightly less than 3/4 mile to my office. The other option I'm considering would be to drive to Hackensack (much closer to me of course) pay a few dollars to park in the New Bridge Landing lot, take a NJ Transit train to Hoboken, take the Path to NYC and walk my same 3/4 mile to the office.

I *like* to drive, so driving to Harrison in my own car sounds much more comfortable to me than waiting and riding on a train from Hackensack. I do realize the drive will be approx. 35 min. without traffic. I plan to give myself an hour for the drive just to be safe. AM I COMPLETELY NUTS IN THINKING THIS IS DO-ABLE? I do realize I might be better off with a train or bus in snow though right??

I just leased my car last year and feel like I will be completely *wasting* my lease if I don't use the car for at least part of my commute. I realize it it will cost me more for gas and tolls (if I drive on toll routes).

Is it relatively safe for a woman commuting alone to take the PATH train from Harrison? It sounds like the area around the PATH station has been "revitalized" in recent years.

Is it likely that I will get a seat or will I be standing the whole ride to and from the WTC? I plan to get on the PATH between 7:45am and 8:00am. Should I plan it differently? I have to be to my office at 9:00am.

I do plan to branch out once I'm comfortable and try the NJ Transit train thing and even the bus from Bergenfield to the Port Authority. I just want to get myself there and back comfortably, efficiently and as stress free as possible the few weeks.

Also, does it sound reasonable to think I'll be able to "walk" the 3/4 mile to and from the PATH @ WTC to my office?

I'd also look into the various ferries that go from NJ to lower Manhattan. There are a number of different ferries which will take you to the World Financial Center, Battery Park, Pier A, and Pier 11. Depending on exactly where your office is located, it may significantly reduce your walk from mass transit to the office. I know there is ample parking available at the ferry terminal in JC. (for the Hoboken based ferry, your best bet is the train to 'Boken, the ferry terminal is adjacent to the train station.)

KoalaNJ

Old 07-07-2014, 05:39 PM

Hi KoalaNJ,

I will be going to the intersection of State and Bridge St. Is there a ferry that goes near there? I don't know anything about the ferry or how much it costs to park (one reason I wanted to drive to Harrison is the parking is only $11 day for covered parking garage). Someone told me I could take the #1 train to my office, but from what I found I'd have to walk approx. 4/10 mile up to Chambers St. (from WTC) to get the train just to go back down. I know I'll get it all figured out eventually, but it seems a bit overwhelming right now.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:09 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,864,276 times
Take some time to look at these sites / maps which will help you decide. Choose a route & if you don't like it than try a different one.

This is the site for the Waterway Ferry: http://www.nywaterway.com/ferryroutesschedules.aspx

Waterway runs free buses on the NJ & NY side to/from their ferries. See site for ferry & bus routes. It looks like their Peak downtown NYC route doesn't run below W. Houston, but the off-peak goes down to Murray.

Note that the ferry is not a cheap option.

Also, find out which subway stop is closest to your work. If it's near Battery Park than besides the # 1 train near the Staten Island Ferry, there's also the Whitehall St. stop on the R train directly across the street.

After you know which subway stop is best than take a look at the MTA map:
mta.info | MTA Subway Map

When I worked near Battery Park I would walk down from the PATH train at WTC, or take the R train to Whitehall if the weather was bad.

If I recall correctly the downtown M5 bus runs down Broadway & stops near Battery Park (just another option.) MTA bus map: http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:

OK, laughed right out loud on that one. ALONE? Hordes of commuters get on the PATH train at Harrison. I am a woman who gets on the PATH at Newark, one stop before. Fear not. You will be just another commuter squashed up next to everyone else. I'm fortunate in that I'm abnormally tall for a female (6'1") so I get better air. Chances are very good that you will be standing. It's musical chairs. Planning differently to guarantee a seat may mean getting on the PATH at Harrison at, say, 6:30 a.m. or so. The actual train ride is 20 minutes or less, so it is bearable. Everyone kind of zones out and reads or naps or listens to music or stares out the window and thinks about what they are going to do with their life next.

Sorry, I know this is all new to you, but after commuting for 35 years, I just found the bolded statement humorous!

Quote:

Yes, the walk will be easy and should be fairly pleasant most days (except really bad weather). Dress for the weather, and you'll be fine.

As for my overall opinion--I have driven, taken buses, and taken trains over the years. IMO, the trains are the best way to go. They get through in most weather, and when the snow and ice and resulting accidents back up the highways into gridlock, the trains go through. There are those days when the trains will have trouble, but it's relatively infrequent, especially when the train goes to Hoboken.

Start with your plan, by driving, and see if you can deal with the traffic. If that works for you, great! Then maybe take the train for one week to see how you like that. Only you will be able to determine with which you are most comfortable.

Congratulations on that promotion!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM

State & Bridge ? OK, that's shorter than the walk I had from WTC to my office.

One ferry goes to the back of the World Financial Ctr., another ferry goes to Pier 11 Wall Street.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM

[quote=Mightyqueen801;35553022]OK, laughed right out loud on that one. ALONE? Hordes of commuters get on the PATH train at Harrison. I am a woman who gets on the PATH at Newark, one stop before. Fear not. You will be just another commuter squashed up next to everyone else. I'm fortunate in that I'm abnormally tall for a female (6'1") so I get better air. quote]

ROFL !

I'm short & on that train I just get armpits. LOL

Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, laughed right out loud on that one. ALONE? Hordes of commuters get on the PATH train at Harrison. I am a woman who gets on the PATH at Newark, one stop before. Fear not. You will be just another commuter squashed up next to everyone else. I'm fortunate in that I'm abnormally tall for a female (6'1") so I get better air. Chances are very good that you will be standing. It's musical chairs. Planning differently to guarantee a seat may mean getting on the PATH at Harrison at, say, 6:30 a.m. or so. The actual train ride is 20 minutes or less, so it is bearable. Everyone kind of zones out and reads or naps or listens to music or stares out the window and thinks about what they are going to do with their life next.

Sorry, I know this is all new to you, but after commuting for 35 years, I just found the bolded statement humorous!
Ok.... Ok.... I now realize how ridiculous that sounds. I guess I'm just spoiled by jumping in my car and driving 30 min. (max.) for my commute and this just seems overwhelming to me. I *know* that once I do it a few times I'll get in the groove and be just fine. Your post actually put me at ease because it knocked some sense in my head and reminded me I'll be just one of thousands trying to get from point A to point B and back again. Thank you for sharing your insight and experiences.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
State & Bridge ? OK, that's shorter than the walk I had from WTC to my office.

One ferry goes to the back of the World Financial Ctr., another ferry goes to Pier 11 Wall Street.
Ok. Great. I was hoping it was a reasonable walk. I also figure it will be good exercise. I will look into the R train and M5 bus just so I have options for bad weather. Once I get started there next week I can ask others what they do to. I was just nervous about this whole thing, but I feel better now after reading these replies. Thank you for your help!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Ok. Great. I was hoping it was a reasonable walk. I also figure it will be good exercise. I will look into the R train and M5 bus just so I have options for bad weather. Once I get started there next week I can ask others what they do to. I was just nervous about this whole thing, but I feel better now after reading these replies. Thank you for your help!

Don't get me wrong, it is a "walk" from WTC to your office, but when you exit WTC station you'll be carried off downtown in a sea of people heading downtown.

WTC PATH station, or the ferry at World Financial Ctr. is probably better than the ferry to Pier 11 because from WTC / WFC you have the option of subway / bus. Really no alternative to walking from Pier 11 to your office.

After trying several transporation methods I'm sure you'll find one that's good for you.

If you go to www.showmystreet.com & type in State & Bridge, NY, NY than you'll see the buildings at that corner. You can even use that site to "practice" walk from WTC to your office by moving the little orange stick figure in the box in the upper right-hand corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey