Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM

21 posts, read 18,290 times

Advertisements

I have a new neighbor that moved into the apartment complex inApril. They constantly leave the commondoor that we share open. I have left afriendly note on the door asking them to please make sure the door is closedfor everyone’s safety. I even spokewith the husband about leaving the door open. I also went to the leasing office and made a complaint. The office saidthey would send a letter to the tenants expressing the importance of closingthe door. Any suggesting on how to resolvethis problem peacefully? I am truly losing my patience with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Are there other neighbors that share the common door?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
I used to have this exact same problem and I understand your concerns. Unfortunately you have already done everything you can do - complain to the tenant and complain to the leasing office. Is there anything in the lease that specifically states that the common door must be closed at all times?

Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Are there other neighbors that share the common door?

No, there are no other neighbors that share the common door.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:36 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unvme View Post
No, there are no other neighbors that share the common door.
Does the common door have one of those things that forces the door closed?
Something like this --> Norton 1601BF Barrier Free Aluminum Storefront Door Closer

First, a letter by registered mail to both the landlord and your neighbor documenting your concern and also that you will be holding the landlord and the neighbor responsible should something happen to you and your family because of someone gaining access through the unlocked door. This may get their attention.

My biggest concern would be if someone was hiding in the common doorway.
Are you able to see if there is someone standing there if you open the commond door or is the door solid?

Demand that the landlord put in a high ceiling corner a motion-activated light.
This will be someway of letting you know that there human activity.

Also, demand that the landlord put in a 180o peep hole on your front door so that you can see if someone is hiding outside your front door before you open it.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
First, a letter by registered mail to both the landlord and your neighbor documenting your concern and also that you will be holding the landlord and the neighbor responsible should something happen to you and your family because of someone gaining access through the unlocked door. This may get their attention.

My biggest concern would be if someone was hiding in the common doorway.
Are you able to see if there is someone standing there if you open the commond door or is the door solid?
There is nothing in the OP's information indicating that this is a problem with someone's failure to lock the door.
Instead, it appears to be simply a problem of not closing the door.

Closing and locking are two entirely different concepts, and if the door does not actually have a key-activated lock on it, then failure to close the door is not something that materially affects whether or not someone can gain access to the entryway.

@unvme--Does this common door have a lock that is activated by a key?
Please clarify this issue for us.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unvme View Post
I have a new neighbor that moved into the apartment complex inApril. They constantly leave the commondoor that we share open. I have left afriendly note on the door asking them to please make sure the door is closedfor everyone’s safety. I even spokewith the husband about leaving the door open. I also went to the leasing office and made a complaint. The office saidthey would send a letter to the tenants expressing the importance of closingthe door. Any suggesting on how to resolvethis problem peacefully? I am truly losing my patience with them
I recently had a problem with one group of my tenants doing the same thing. One common entry door for a first floor and a second floor apartment. Either my husband or I had to be over at the property quite a bit when the leases changed over at the end of the school year (we rent to college students & had some move-out issues to deal with, handyman to let in, we have coin operated washer/dryers in the basement that needed to be serviced and cleaned, we had some landscaping done and the sidewalk in the front and on the side of the house had to be replaced) and we would see the door open.

We'd shut/lock it and send a text to both sets of tenants to make sure the door was closed and locked. Apparently it didn't sink in, because even as soon as the next day when one of us would be at the property this particular door was wide open again.

What happened was the 2nd floor apt was broken in to (can't imagine why) so we installed an automatic door closer that day and found a residential lock that as long as the door is shut, the door is locked from the outside. You don't need to unlock the door to get out, you need a key to enter.

So far so good.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
There is nothing in the OP's information indicating that this is a problem with someone's failure to lock the door.
Instead, it appears to be simply a problem of not closing the door.

Closing and locking are two entirely different concepts, and if the door does not actually have a key-activated lock on it, then failure to close the door is not something that materially affects whether or not someone can gain access to the entryway.

@unvme--Does this common door have a lock that is activated by a key?
Please clarify this issue for us.

Hi guys sorry for the confusion. If the door is closed completely it locks. What my neighbors are doing is not pulling the door completely closed so that it locks. If the door is left open, when I exit my apartment someone could be in the stairwell and I can't see them. Even if I look out of the peephole I can only see if someone is standing directly in front of my door. Also when I come in someone could be in the stairwell. Although I live in a fairly safe neigborhood, I don't take anything for granted when it comes to being safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: