Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:32 PM

225 posts, read 352,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Well I always said it was, despite the infrastructure being junk:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Hoboken appears on a list of snobby cities in the US: oh no! Another black eye for the state of New Jersey.
Five cities in California appear on the same exact list: That means nothing because reasons.

I've recently cut down my postings on this website dramatically, which I quite like, but I just had to comment on this one particular post because it shows your hypocrisy in a nutshell. By the way if you respond to me I won't respond back. I have no interest in getting into a debate with someone who engages in cherry picking.

Last edited by Yac; 07-29-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Better than leading in brush fires, mud slides, and Kardashians!
You forgot Bubonic Plague.
Yup, Plague is...alive and well in California, which is one of the few places in the US where it is a public health threat.

I can vividly recall driving through the Angeles National Forest (only a short drive from L.A.) about 10 years ago, and seeing signs posted at all of the rest stops, campgrounds, and picnic areas stating... Danger--Plague Zone! Do Not Exit Your Car!

In case you think that this was an unusual or isolated incident...less than one year ago, a similar situation reared its ugly head in the same area:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...ia-campground/

Because of the ongoing danger, the California Department of Health issues periodic reports on this...unique...health problem.
Here is their most recent Plague Report: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/di...Compendium.pdf

Plague...it just doesn't get much better than that...

Last edited by Retriever; 07-22-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM

169 posts, read 294,157 times
Quote:
Wow. You are beyond idiotic with this post. I don't even know where to start. What in gods name are you smoking?
You don't know where to start because you don't know what to say. Can you do a google search? The figures are indeed true.

As far as idiotic, you must have been looking in the mirror when you uttered that. Or if that was directed towards me all I can say is your mother raised you well. She must be a RESPECTABLE woman!

Furthermore, your whole thread is preposterous. Also, California and I repeat is a colossal failure of a state. If you want to compare to NJ lets see.

The residents of NJ are smarter and more educated than the residents of California (in terms of college degree holders)

The residents of NJ make more money than the residents of California. NJ in per capita/household income always ranks in the top 3. California ranks between 10th-13th place!

NJ students outscore nearly all their pupils in scholastic aptitude tests across the board in every state. Bergen County has some of the absolute best performing public schools in the nation. California's public schools are an abomination as they constantly score in the bottom 5 of the 50 states in academic performance.

NJ towns like Ridgewood, Ho-Ho-Kus, Allendale, Montvale, Saddle River (and 200 others) have homes of character and charm and are set on beautiful property many on belgian block lined streets.

Want to laugh at urban planning gone AWRY, do a satellite flyover of almost anywhere in California. All I can say is it's clear the state was built in a hurry!

Although, forget NJ for a second. They are building master planned communities all over America and I have to say. Even when you go to North Carolina, Georgia, or anywhere in the South they build beautiful homes on 1/2 acre plus lots on streets that follow that natural curves of the land. California has a penchant for cheesy geometric shapes and houses which are whats the word "squished" together. Not to mention most are "Mediterranean" which I use that term lightly as I live in Italy and let me tell you. No house here is tacky box job like what you see throughout California.

I find it hysterical that somebody who lives in a place which is often referred to as the "Greece of the USA" and is used in newscasts to describe "all that is wrong in America" can try to prove it has an advantage over any state. Check you facts FreshFlakes757 and leave your typical baseless opinions at the door. I already gave you plenty of facts perhaps it is too much for you to handle?

Finally, you find it shocking Hoboken came in as snobby. I find it shocking that somebody who lives on a quarter acre parcel in a boxy characterless house with a red tile roof (deemed Mediterranean which trust me is not) can be snobby about where they call home. Furthermore, it should be an embarrassment that California topped the list rather than an accolade. Isn't being snobby the hallmark of the déclassé nouveau riche class? It is in NJ! A state with one of the highest millionaire populations who sit back and enjoy their massive wealth and don't type on their towns "Wikipedia page" pretentious "Blah Blah is an AFFLUENT community" like every town in Orange County.

PS. You mention Hoboken's poor infrastructure apparently you do not own a car out there. California's roads are a see of patch, re-patch, oh crap a hole and yet another patch! The state is running a nearly 300 billion dollar deficit that grows everyday and with that comes America's most dilapidated infrastructure.

Freshflakes757, why not answer back with something insightful (hopefully that won't be too much of a stretch) rather than your typical short worded INFANTILE insults. Which, by the way, demonstrates nothing more than a true lack of intelligent thought! Perhaps you may want to at least start by writing complete sentences.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:28 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
You don't know where to start because you don't know what to say. Can you do a google search? The figures are indeed true...
While I essentially agree with you, you have made one major blunder, namely failing to put that person on your "ignore" list--
as most of the regular members of this forum have done.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't care. It is located within an existing municipality. NJ was settled as an original colony and is extremely dense and well populated for its size. It has no municipalities that were created from nothing in the last 50 years, save for some development along barrier islands that has increased in the last 50-60 years. NJ has virtually no planned communities, especially compared to a state like CA or AZ, because it is full of older towns and cities dating to the time of the revolution, give or take a few decades. The original 13 differ from the rest of the country in this regard. It is an old area with completely different town and neighborhood structure.

Again, my friend's ENTIRE TOWN was recently created from nothing. I've had discussions with her about this, and the differences between her area and mine, because we both find it interesting.
Is there really a difference in constructing new developments within old towns or building out new subdivisions and incorporating a new town name straight up? Most of Orange County, CA was incorporated only 50-60 years ago. It's no surprise that your friend is living in a newer home (and what exactly is wrong with a NEW home again as long as it's built up to code?) It's not comparable to living in NJ at all.

In Basking Ridge, constant expansion of the Hills during the 1990s and early 2000s was highly critcized by environmentalists in which increased deer traffic occured in backyards. I think it's worse to expand upon a colonial era town than it is to build a new subdivision in Orange County. The land where the subdivision was probably just desert or orange fields, in NJ it was woods and forests getting torn up.

Hoboken is a completely different issue. It's new apartments built by these same companies that designed McMansions in places like the hills on top of old factory grounds with a fat sticker price added.

Last edited by Freshflakes757; 07-22-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
You don't know where to start because you don't know what to say. Can you do a google search? The figures are indeed true.

As far as idiotic, you must have been looking in the mirror when you uttered that. Or if that was directed towards me all I can say is your mother raised you well. She must be a RESPECTABLE woman!
Wow bringing in personal issues about my mom? Who the fu** are you again?

Let's see some links, sherlock. Do yourself a favor and go play with the traffic or stick to the topic you idiot.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While I essentially agree with you, you have made one major blunder, namely failing to put that person on your "ignore" list--
as most of the regular members of this forum have done.

You say to ignore me, yet you keep coming back for more!

I guess people on the NJ forum like Stockholm Syndrome.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
You say to ignore me, yet you keep coming back for more!

I guess people on the NJ forum like Stockholm Syndrome.
Check the mirror. Here you are again on the NJ forum.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,899 times
If Hoboken is snobby, tell all the Hobokenites to take a little train ride into Manhattan and go visit the Upper East Side, then they can sure check themselves there.

Hoboken is full of people who can't afford to live in Manhattan. Sure the place is cleaned up and a lot better than it was, but it will always be "Option B".

Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
My mother's family owned a home at 820 Bloomfield Street from 1930 till 1995...when visiting in the 1970's through mid-90's I saw Hoboken change from working-class neighborhood of italian,irish,german and later hispanic to a yuppie haven as Washington St. became an upscale restaurant/bar mecca in the mid-80's...My aunt worked for Bethlehem Steel for 40yrs and my uncle at Maxwell House for nearly as long...I now believe both now are home to high end condo's!!! I don't know if it's filled with snobs now or not...I just wish 820 was still in the family!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey