Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,011 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering a divorce from my wife. We have been married 9 years and have 2 children, 7 and 5 years old. She is an alcoholic and suffers from depression. She has gone through outpatient treatment for alcohol and depression 3 times. I also have evidence that she has nearly cheated on me with 2 different men (text messages--she may have cheated, but the evidence I have doesn't offer proof of that).

My main question is that I've heard that the mom generally always gets custody of the kids. Is that true? Considering my wife's alcoholism and depression, is there a chance I would get custody?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Hello, I am considering a divorce from my wife. We have been married 9 years and have 2 children, 7 and 5 years old. She is an alcoholic and suffers from depression. She has gone through outpatient treatment for alcohol and depression 3 times. I also have evidence that she has nearly cheated on me with 2 different men (text messages--she may have cheated, but the evidence I have doesn't offer proof of that).

My main question is that I've heard that the mom generally always gets custody of the kids. Is that true? Considering my wife's alcoholism and depression, is there a chance I would get custody?

Get a lawyer.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Quote:
Get a lawyer.
My first thought. why would you get legal advice that could affect your life for the foreseeable future at an open forum where your questions might be answered by a 14 year old.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,624,105 times
Default your questions might be answered by a 14 year old.

So true, but it's free for now but will cost u later.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:

As others have said, get a lawyer. If you want custody, then go for custody, but YOU are going to have to write down/say some very difficult things for you to say about their mother. No one is just going to glance at her and say, "Oh yeah, Alkie here, give the father the kids." You will need documentation, and if you have been taking care of an alcoholic for a while, it is not going to be an easy thing for you to do.

I suggest that in addition to a lawyer, you go to Al-Anon meetings, get a therapist, or both.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
It's possible to get custody of your children. A former neighbor had custody of his three children--from two different marriages--and lived in the ex's grandparent's house, a rental property. I don't know the details.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,195 times
The courts main concern is the children and if you can prove she is a unfit parent due to her illness you shouldn't have a problem. Just be cautious because lawyers LOVE high conflict divorce since they get paid by the hour. Be clear with your lawyer in what you want from the divorce during the initial meeting. DO NOT let them interview you by way of asking about debts and liabilities first off, they do so so that they know how much money they can get out of you and will try to get every single penny.

Have a conversation with your wife so that she knows your intent and why. If she is silly enough to want to fight you over it remind her that it is her dirty laundry that will be aired in public.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:41 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Quote:
... My main question is that I've heard that the mom generally always gets custody of the kids. Is that true? Considering my wife's alcoholism and depression, is there a chance I would get custody? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
"Generally always"? Which is it, generally or always?

Q) "I've heard that the mom...always gets custody of the kids. Is that true?"
A) NO, that's not true.

Q) "...is there a chance I would get custody?"
A) Yes, there is more than a chance given their mother's provable problems.

Keep it as peaceful as possible. Regardless of her problems and your differences, this is YOUR CHILDREN'S MOTHER.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Like others have posted, get a lawyer.

I would add do not post anything, facts or opinions about your situation, on any web sites, going forward.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:

You should divorce this woman. You probably would get primary custody assuming you are a regular guy with a job, no criminal record, drug/alcohol problems, etc. The system is slanted towards women, but your wife sounds like a train wreck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey