Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 PM

110 posts, read 175,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Maybe if some of these people in Newark weren't such lowlife thugs the wealthier suburban towns wouldn't mind as much.

Until that changes, those types of people can stay and wreak havoc in the cities.

Would you want people from Camden redistributed to a nicer town like Cherry Hill? Don't think so. This is not unique to NJ. I will take any respectable, kind person as a neighbor no matter their color or ethnicity.
Don't you understand that THIS is exactly what I was talking about in the original post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
Don't you understand that THIS is exactly what I was talking about in the original post?
But am I wrong?

No. I don't care how politically incorrect it may be.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
The feeling of jersey having diverse neighborhoods is a joke.In jersey different neighborhoods are for the most part underlyingly segregated.Its been that way in jersey forever and the politicians,government, and police like it that way.Blacks like living in their own community, so do whites, asians, indians, jews , latinos etc,etc...People in Nj are paranoid of each other and blame game each other over which town is bringing the other town down or why minorities or white trash or gangbangers, or waspy yuppies are raising or lowering your property value and destroying your mayberry.Take the blinders off, the state plans it this way.
I think you hit the nail on the head. There is something about Northern NJ and parnoia. Must be in the air or something.

Like that whole thing about not selling homes to blacks or latinos in Clark? Absolutely true.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. There is something about Northern NJ and parnoia. Must be in the air or something.

Like that whole thing about not selling homes to blacks or latinos in Clark? Absolutely true.
I think it is an issue for the entire state, and it's simply the result of wealth right next door to poverty. Believe me the waspy suburbs in South Jersey have been afraid of Camden for decades.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
I think it is an issue for the entire state, and it's simply the result of wealth right next door to poverty. Believe me the waspy suburbs in South Jersey have been afraid of Camden for decades.
As they should be. Look at it. Look at what goes on within it.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
When talking about wanting diversity, most people are talking about color, creed, and national origin -- rarely wealth and never criminal status. There are plenty of areas of NJ which are diverse, really diverse, in terms of color, creed, and national origin. Find the Cooper Center's racial dot map of the US, and look just west of Newark, or between Newark and Paterson, or in NW Elizabeth and Union, or... well, just search around. Plenty of places with white, black, Asian, and Hispanic all mixed together.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM

369 posts, read 558,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
BTW..States cannot go bankrupt.
Ha, wrong there. They can go bankrupt.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:13 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
The feeling of jersey having diverse neighborhoods is a joke.In jersey different neighborhoods are for the most part underlyingly segregated.Its been that way in jersey forever and the politicians,government, and police like it that way.Blacks like living in their own community, so do whites, asians, indians, jews , latinos etc,etc...People in Nj are paranoid of each other and blame game each other over which town is bringing the other town down or why minorities or white trash or gangbangers, or waspy yuppies are raising or lowering your property value and destroying your mayberry.Take the blinders off, the state plans it this way.
NJ is really segregated by class more than race. There's plenty of towns with varying ethnicity. There are not that many towns with huge class variations within them. Rarely do the rich and the poor live in the same town in any significant numbers, especially if there isn't some physical feature "splitting" the town.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:09 AM

30 posts, read 199,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
Three things to get NJ healthy once again:

1) Build Newark. Yes, Newark. Continute to entice corporations and business incubators to move there. They have a phenomenal mass transit infrastructure, universities, research and lots of smart people living around the area.

2) Lift the Blue Laws in Paramus. Isn't it one of the highest - if not the highest - commercial/retail revenue grossing zip codes in the US? And that's from being open just six days a week.

3) Rutgers football. Really. Rutgers football. Birthplace of College Football. And the other programs within the school too. Entering the Big Ten was a huge first step. First throw more money into the football program, improve facilities, keep the top recruits from leaving the state, and you have an amazing opportunity to pump a whole lotta money into the school and the local economy, while drawing top applicants and faculty.

Columbus, State College, Ann Arbor. Let's throw in non-Big Ten Austin in there too. And none of them have NYC as their backdrop.
You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I currently live in Newark. The Ironbound, Downtown and North Wards have made tremendous strides (although they were always the safer and more bustling areas of town to begin with). With the Prudential Center building, the NJ Performing Arts Center and some new housing being built, Newark has a lot to offer not only to New Jersey, but to the country as a whole. That is my honest opinion. New Jersey NEEDS Newark to thrive.

My honest opinion on reading this thread is that a lot of what you guys are saying about Jersey applies to NYC. I lived in NYC and was born there. While I love the city and continue to work there, I am somewhat disappointed in the obscene real estate prices and the general Disneyfication of the city. In my opinion, the city has been declining. It's getting harder and harder to live there. People are resenting it. So many of my friends move here, and then leave after a year or two. I feel that if things continue in NYC the way they have been, the decline *may* become tremendous. I obviously don't want that, and I don't think people in New Jersey want that, either. Like it or not, close proximity to NYC is a tremendous privilege for many of us in New Jersey, although it does raise our expenses to a certain degree. I do think that with DiBlasio things may at the very least stagnate for a while, so even if they don't improve, the real estate situation in the city will probably at least not get worse like it continually did under Bloomberg. OK, sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but my honest opinion.

Like another poster said, it's not just Jersey, or New York. It's our whole country that is suffering as a result of bad political moves over the years. One thing that I do know is that I love New Jersey, and if there's anything I can do to make things better for the Garden State, I'm all ears.

Lastly, having lived in Ann Arbor for 15 years, I'd like to say that I hope Newark doesn't become TOO much like Ann Arbor, or any other little "college town" for that matter. Ann Arbor, while a very nice town, is also very cliquey and pretty full of itself. I've been gone from there for six years and don't miss it one bit. I'd rather see Newark raise to the level of its own potential, though I could also see it become a bit like Cambridge, Massachusetts (not necessarily the Harvard/MIT thing, but Cambridge is a nice working class town aside from the prestigious schools). That said, it might be nice if Newark didn't gentrify quite as much as Cambridge. I could also see Newark becoming maybe a bit like Philadelphia; maybe still having its bad areas but also some really nice ones, and being seen as the CITY it is, not just a giant ghetto like some people make it out to be (all too often folks who've never even been there).

Just one man's opinion.

Last edited by Kashi1; 09-25-2014 at 12:19 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
NJ is really segregated by class more than race. There's plenty of towns with varying ethnicity. There are not that many towns with huge class variations within them. Rarely do the rich and the poor live in the same town in any significant numbers, especially if there isn't some physical feature "splitting" the town.
Yeah, this is true. Racial tension is usually more of an issue when there's an economic gap to boot. The harsh reality is that most upper/middle class neighborhoods have a double standard. Asians and Indians are seen as a boon, but blacks and Latinos are met with suspicion. This is especially obvious in Middlesex, Mercer, and Somerset Counties, where once mainly white neighborhoods have becoming increasingly less white (mostly because these people can't afford NJ anymore) and instead new Asian migrants counterbalance the loss and either maintain the neighborhood's economic stance or even improve it. The Brunswicks, The Windsors, Plainsboro, Edison, Piscataway, Monroe, Hillsborough, and Bridgewater are all examples of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey