Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM

380 posts, read 607,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There are genetic tests for Ashkenazi Jews because they lived in a specific area of Europe for a long time and didn't marry people of other faiths, but that is just Jews who happen to be from that area. That is not including Jews from all other parts of the world. If you wanted to say Askenazi Jews are an ethnicity that would be one thing, but you are saying all Jews are a race. This is totally wrong. And you are not getting it. There are ACTUAL Jews who are black as far back in their ancestry as Abraham. They are not Ashkenazi, they are not Sephardic. There are people with Jewish ancestry from all over Europe. There were Jews in Europe before there were Christians in Europe. Again, to say I'm half catholic and half jewish would be correct. To say I half French half jewish sounds idiotic.
People in a specific area not mixing sounds kind of like a separate ethnicity to me, hmmmm. Anyhow, more red herrings here---I never stated ALL Jews are a race (and a single race at that), I simply asserted that being Jewish can be an ethnicity/race or a religion, a point I still stand by.

If anything I've heard far more people say they are half x country/half jewish than say they are half y religion/half jewish (most people who tend to say that later are generally not very religious in either faith, they might as well be agnostic). But that's just me, again I think we are getting beyond the scope of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 01:18 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
There are 12 (13 including 2 from Joseph)Tribes of Israel. The Jews spread around the world after God took away their land. Most Jews in the United States are the tribe of Mannasah (Son of Joseph).

Old 06-17-2015, 02:13 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
People in a specific area not mixing sounds kind of like a separate ethnicity to me, hmmmm. Anyhow, more red herrings here---I never stated ALL Jews are a race (and a single race at that), I simply asserted that being Jewish can be an ethnicity/race or a religion, a point I still stand by.

If anything I've heard far more people say they are half x country/half jewish than say they are half y religion/half jewish (most people who tend to say that later are generally not very religious in either faith, they might as well be agnostic). But that's just me, again I think we are getting beyond the scope of this thread.
Fine. We can move on, but not until I say that I think you need to look up the phrase "red herring". Just because someone doesn't see eye to eye with you, doesn't mean they are throwing out red herrings.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Fine. We can move on, but not until I say that I think you need to look up the phrase "red herring". Just because someone doesn't see eye to eye with you, doesn't mean they are throwing out red herrings.
I find it a bit comical you posted this without the slightest sense of irony. Bringing up Asian and black Jews was a red herring (as was your post), ie bringing up something irrelevant or distracting to the main point of conversation. Asserting I argued all Jews are one race when I never said such was not a red herring but rather a straw man argument (ie misrepresenting my position that Jewish can be a race/ethnicity and then attacking the false premise), so I stand corrected on that front.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM

Ok. I thought you wanted to be done with this. I guess not.
You said...
Quote:
As already noted, North Indians are racially Caucasian, they are basically darker versions of Europeans. Southern Indians are a different matter.

The census may also classify Indians as "white" (ie Caucasian) along with Jews, Pakistanis, Persians, Arabs, and others from the Middle East regions.
Implying that you thought Jews were a nationality or a race. Is if Jews were bound together by racial or national lines. Comparing them to Pakistanis, Persians, etc. The only thing that binds the worlds Jews together is the religion. A white Jew from France probably knows little about the customs of a black Jew from Ethiopia, but the prayers are the same.

Quote:
I find it a bit comical you posted this without the slightest sense of irony. Bringing up Asian and black Jews was a red herring (as was your post), ie bringing up something irrelevant or distracting to the main point of conversation. Asserting I argued all Jews are one race when I never said such was not a red herring but rather a straw man argument (ie misrepresenting my position that Jewish can be a race/ethnicity and then attacking the false premise), so I stand corrected on that front.
I'm not the one who took us off topic. I'm not the person who veered us this way.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one who took us off topic. I'm not the person who veered us this way.

Objectively incorrect if one looks at the progression of this thread.

Last edited by Nmc400; 06-17-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Objectively incorrect if one looks at the progression of this thread.
Objectively.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
yea, Chatham

Old 06-18-2015, 04:14 PM

48 posts, read 104,220 times
Boro, not Township! amirite?

But seriously, OP (hope you didn't run for the hills) - What's "wrong" with Montclair in your opinion. It could be you're renting and now want to own. Don't know. I'm (still) looking and Montclair is on my list after reading enough of the messages here to understand that the low greatschools numbers are that way for certain reasons and not necessarily purely based on academic merit.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:18 PM

198 posts, read 530,356 times
MD, I assume you are Jewish, then you really need to brush up on the origins of Jews. I don't like Jews who are ignorant about their own origins. It is NOT just a religion and no, Jews did not originate in Western Europe. Jews are bound by racial lines, and yes you are all related through DNA originating in Middle East.
This article refutes the suggestion made by the historian Shlomo Sand in his book “The Invention of the Jewish People” that Jews have no common origin but are a miscellany of people in Europe and Central Asia who converted to Judaism at various times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/science/10jews.html

As for the OP. Any commuter town in NJ, close to NYC will be diverse. Your children will not be the only Asians in the class. And I agree with you about the competition in schools in Millburn. Sometimes,the competition is not about the children, it is among the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey