Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

i hear there are Isis sneaking in from the southern border with bullets dipped in ebola juice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i hear there are Isis sneaking in from the southern border with bullets dipped in ebola juice
I heard that ISIS is in the process of smearing every door handle in The US with Ebola-laden fluids.
So, I think that the only logical course of action for all of us is to refuse to leave our houses, and to constantly wail, "We're all doomed!"

Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
have we sealed the border of texas yet? i'm very excited to be rid of them.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. I have been following this ebola crisis in West Africa since late July, checking the news at least once a day on it. I read The Hot Zone - a terrifying book that basically predicts this. I've been worried about this since Patrick Sawyer jumped on that flight to Nigeria, not long before he was scheduled to fly back home to the US, bringing ebola to another nation, for what I believe was the first time in history, through air travel. I knew then that this could become a problem - and it has. Sure, it's one person, but it's one person so far. As long as we allow air travel from these countries as if it's no big deal, nothing's going on at all in West Africa, this is going to keep happening, and it will eventually show up in other countries. Maybe the cases will be isolated, maybe western/first world nations can keep them under control, but that doesn't make it okay that the leaders in this crisis think it's fine to allow infected/exposed people to fly out of their home countries, knowing just how bad sanitation and living conditions there are.

I'm not saying we should completely close off the borders to these nations and let the people fend for themselves. The CDC is claiming closing air travel will only hinder efforts in Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea, and I disagree. We should end commercial travel between the countries. No more travel for business, leisure, family, etc. No more of these people just coming to the US on visas, for now. Of course we should allow missionaries and Doctors Without Borders medics and workers to fly over, but when they return home they are usually quarantined or at least watched for 21 days in case they get ill. People casually flying here and elsewhere from Africa are not. We should allow anyone who is involved in mission work or other work to get this under control to fly in and out, but no one else. No normal citizens, of any country should be allowed in and out of West Africa. We should tell any American citizens who are currently there, "listen, we're stopping air travel between her and everywhere else, you have X amount of days to come home. When you return home, you will be placed under quarantine, or otherwise be closely monitored at home, for 21 days. If you choose to not return to the US within this time frame, you will be forced to stay in West Africa until this epidemic is under control and we allow flights between the nations again." Simple. We don't have to worry about those holding visas, or awaiting visas, to come here from Africa because frankly, they're not our problem right now. Sorry, there is a crisis. Citizens are allowed home only, and only up to a certain date, and after that no one leaves. Period. We need to, and can, put our foot down for our OWN security, as a world and as an individual country. It's just politically incorrect to do so to Africa.

Obama is sending our military there right now. Why can't they help control the borders? Is that not what they're for, to use force, to look and be threatening? They don't even have to watch the whole border, they can watch the highly infected areas. Not ALL areas of these countries have been affected, and many more remote areas have not seen cases for weeks, or months. Currently, the biggest problem is the cities, like Monrovia, where tons of people live in slums. Remote villages that see outbreaks are relatively easy to control, that's why ebola has never gotten this serious in the past. This is the first time it's spread to major cities. Our troops, or Liberia's, or whoever else's, can block off the cities. Create roadblocks. Edge around infected villages. Don't tell me it's not possible, that's complete BS and everyone knows it. We have the power and ability to do this is we want to. Clearly, some people in power don't want to.

But we DO need to stop allowing people to casually fly out of West Africa to come here, or anywhere else, especially if all they stands between us and ebola is a stupid form you can lie on and say, "no, I have not been in contact with anyone with ebola." Bam. It's here. And look - it's here. Look - there was a scare in Newark yesterday, and man and his child flying from Liberia. They easily could have had it. We're lucky they didn't - this time. It;s only a matter of time before someone brings it directly to New Jersey if we keep acting like nothing is wrong as far as airline travel goes. Sorry to be rude and/or politically incorrect, but I don't exactly trust the Liberians and their methods of making sure their residents don't have ebola before coming to the US or anywhere else - especially considering the incubation period can be up to 21 days. Please.
Ebola Is Coming. A Travel Ban Won't Stop Outbreaks - Forbes

the military is going there to help set up isolation areas and makeshift hospitals to help contain the outbreak, which is the proper response. "closing" the borders (which is impossible) does nothing to address the spread of disease.

So yes, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE

Old 10-16-2014, 12:57 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
There goes Forbes, that bleeding heart liberal rag, shilling for Obama again

Old 10-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Look - there was a scare in Newark yesterday, and man and his child flying from Liberia. They easily could have had it. We're lucky they didn't - this time.
Population of Liberia:

total worldwide cases of Ebola - 9,000

% of liberians that have ebola if all 9,000 were there - 0.2%

so, we're not lucky they didn't. it's just a statistical reality.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
There goes Forbes, that bleeding heart liberal rag, shilling for Obama again
i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not....

Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not....
I think it is pretty obvious that this was sarcasm.

Personally, I find it very interesting--and enlightening--when publications with a clearly conservative leaning manage to support something that the current POTUS or others of a more liberal leaning have done. That tells me that Forbes is much more analytical and...yes...honest...than media outlets like Fox.

As a wise man once said, Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but if you believe Fox & Friends, nothing that anyone in the current administration (or previous Democratic administrations) ever did was correct. Right there, that should tell you something about their ability to be objective.

Nobody is ever right 100% of the time, and likewise nobody is ever wrong 100% of the time, but you would never know it from some of the more conservative media outlets.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think it is pretty obvious that this was sarcasm.

Personally, I find it very interesting--and enlightening--when publications with a clearly conservative leaning manage to support something that the current POTUS or others of a more liberal leaning have done. That tells me that Forbes is much more analytical and...yes...honest...than media outlets like Fox.

As a wise man once said, Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but if you believe Fox & Friends, nothing that anyone in the current administration (or previous Democratic administrations) ever did was correct. Right there, that should tell you something about their ability to be objective.

Nobody is ever right 100% of the time, and likewise nobody is ever wrong 100% of the time, but you would never know it from some of the more conservative media outlets.

well, as far as forbes is concerned, you also have to keep in mind this author is a forbes.com "contributor". i don't want to shoot down my own link, but even fox news' website has some contributors who are more analytical than what's on their cable news channel 24/7.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, as far as forbes is concerned, you also have to keep in mind this author is a forbes.com "contributor". i don't want to shoot down my own link, but even fox news' website has some contributors who are more analytical than what's on their cable news channel 24/7.

That is a very good point.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey