Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:36 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ONE HUNDRED PERCENT disabled veterans get a tax waiver on their primary residence in NJ. I've already posted this. I'm not making it up. My father did not pay property taxes on our house, and my mother, as his widow, gets that benefit. It ends when she dies. But AGAIN, you have to be 100% disabled. My father lost both legs in WWII. That is considered 100%, even though, yes, he could walk on prosthetics, and yes, he could hold a job (he was an electrical engineer).

He also got a grant toward the construction of building the house with extra-wide doorways for a wheelchair, because sometimes when the stump bones got infected, he couldn't wear his artificial legs for months at a time, and sometimes by the end of a day they would hurt, so he would use the wheelchair. Or walk on his knees (Dad made a great horsie when we were little.) There are no front steps in front of my mother's house. My father had a bathroom with a shower that you could pull a wheelchair into. This house was built in 1957. For you kiddies on here--there was no "ADA" until the early 1990's.

Oh yes, he also got an annual clothing allowance of a few hundred dollars for the wear and tear artificial legs take on pants.

Again, I am quite sure my father would rather have paid his taxes.
Don't know if your aware. The tax exemption only pertains to the home they lived in when he was still alive. If she opts to move from that home she will loose the exemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Don't know if you're aware. The tax exemption only pertains to the home they lived in when he was still alive. If she opts to move from that home she will loose the exemption.
That's correct.

She'll be 86 years old next month, and as long as she can stay in her own home, she will. Not really just for the tax break, but because that is her home where she has lived for 57 years and where she raised her children and a couple of her grandchildren. If she becomes incapacitated at some point, she will likely move in with one of us or go to the health care center in Wyckoff. She would sell the house.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:47 AM

13 posts, read 16,067 times
You can avoid property taxes by claiming the home is a church

Back in the early 90s when I was president of my Fraternity we decided to change our Fraternity to a church. You need to have weekly services and have at least 20 members. We converted our basement bar to an "Alter" and held meetings on Sunday Night. We obtained a Keg of wine and it became our wine night. We ordained all the brothers as monks, and called the house a monastery . The other benefit of being a religious group, you are allowed to serve alcohol to underage members.
Our former Pledge program was altered and it became a rite of ordination to go thru 6 weeks of pledging to become a fellow brother.

the chapter house was fully paid for, but we transferred the property to the new church as a donation. We had to pay for a lawyer to get our status changed and it took some time and money going thru the legal system. But then we never had to pay property taxes again.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:15 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jova99 View Post
We converted our basement bar to an "Alter"

Did that qualify as an alteration?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jova99 View Post
in the early 90s ... we decided to change our Fraternity to a church. ... had to pay for a lawyer to get our status changed ... never had to pay property taxes again.
Any proof of this assertion?

Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Any proof of this assertion?
Of course he won't be able to provide any proof for that tall tale.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Even if you rent, you are still paying property taxes.
not just taxes, you are also paying owner's mortgage.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
With regard to Jewry:

Thank you for posting the pictures Big Jake! Yes, based on the attire of the people in the photos, one can fairly conclude that they are quite likely Orthodox Jews.

But how can you tell that those pictured are specifically 'Hasidic'? Is there some indicator in these photos that I am ignorant of?
(And that's not a smart-arse question, I am legitimately interested and curious. From pictures alone, how do you tell the difference between Hasidics and other branches of Orthodox Jewry?)
The Yeshiva in Lakewood is from the Lithuanian Orthodox branch, not the Hasidic.

To say that they're Hasidic...
• isn't that akin to referring to Protestants as Catholics?. Sure, they're all Christians, but Protestants are not Catholics.
• or akin to referring to Sunnis as Shiites? Yes, they're both Muslim, but Sunnis are not Shiites.

With regard to property tax exemptions:

Being from North Jersey, I'm not too familiar with Lakewood. But yes, using the links I provided in my earlier post, one can easily ascertain that Lakewood has hundreds of tax-exempt properties due to religious exclusions.

Yet tax-exemptions are not exclusive to Jewish communities. Eastcoastguyz is absolutely correct. Gaming the system is equal opportunity for all.
I dont think anyone really cares Hasidic, Orthodox, or otherwise. I think the OPs intent was to use the name that conjures up the image of the Black Hats and Payots. I grew up in Teaneck NJ which has a very large Orthodox Jewish community, and I used to see them all walking every saturday going to Synagogue.

I also thought they were able to make many homes into Synagogues since Teaneck is a large town, and when they were spread out, making more Synagogues would give them less distance to walk.

But I just skimmed the "New Jersey Property Tax List Search" and nope, not so many Orthodox Synagogues in Teaneck on file for tax exemption, and practically all of them are full sized churches. Theres a couple houses, but MUCH fewer than I thought I'd see. And after googling the addresses, the pictures were all familiar sites. Many more flavors of religion on this list that are tax exempt. IMO, theres WAY too many churches in this town for its size.

So unless theres Orthodox houses of worship off the record not filing taxes, the notion is just stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey