Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:47 AM

20 posts, read 23,694 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering moving from Southern California to some family friendly community with great schools in NJ/NY, but I am not at all familiar with the East Coast. My husband will be working on Washington Blvd. in Jersey City and I would hope for a commute less than 30 minutes. We can spend up to $3k for a rental and want at least 3 beds and a single family home.

Where should I look/focus my search?

I am lost in all of these town names at the moment. We will be leaving family and great schools behind and with a 2 and 3 year old I want to make sure we get as equivalent as possible when we move. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,844 times
We also moved from So Cal to NJ (2008). Not sure where you live and what kind of landscape would be ideal for your family, but we used to live in Ventura County and love open space. We ended up in Warren, and love it here - great schools, great people. You can definitely find a good house to rent for 3000K. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1622 View Post
Hi, we are considering moving from Southern California to some family friendly community with great schools in NJ/NY, but I am not at all familiar with the East Coast. My husband will be working on Washington Blvd. in Jersey City and I would hope for a commute less than 30 minutes. We can spend up to $3k for a rental and want at least 3 beds and a single family home.

Where should I look/focus my search?

I am lost in all of these town names at the moment. We will be leaving family and great schools behind and with a 2 and 3 year old I want to make sure we get as equivalent as possible when we move. Thanks in advance...
You might have to be a little more realistic on the commute time, but you should be able to find something in your budget.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
We also moved from So Cal to NJ (2008). Not sure where you live and what kind of landscape would be ideal for your family, but we used to live in Ventura County and love open space. We ended up in Warren, and love it here - great schools, great people. You can definitely find a good house to rent for 3000K. Good luck!
We live in north inland San Diego right now and my husband only has a 1 mile commute to work :/ I know we won't be able to get close to that just hoping for as close as possible :/. As far as landscape goes we don't have much. We have an 1900 sq ft house with a small yard and 2 car garage at the moment. Thanks again!!

Do you prefer NJ over CA now?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
in the short term, you'll want to avoid anything that would require use of the pulaski skyway for his commute. i don't see 30 minutes being a viable commute time for any town you would consider though, unless you wanted to rent in JC for a year or two until you found something better, which is something i would advise considering.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
in the short term, you'll want to avoid anything that would require use of the pulaski skyway for his commute. i don't see 30 minutes being a viable commute time for any town you would consider though, unless you wanted to rent in JC for a year or two until you found something better, which is something i would advise considering.
I want to try to find somewhere that my kids can get into preschool and make and keep friends if we end up staying for a long time, instead of moving again down the road. But, realistically, if we live in a family friendly/safe suburb, how long would his commute be on an average workday? I've never been so I really have no idea, thank your so much!

Are there any other suburb towns you'd recommend? I am looking into Warren.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:22 AM

How rural do you want to be?

I would recommend South Orange, Millburn, and New Providence all of which are convenient to route 78, but each is a fairly different type of town. I'd also recommend towns like West Orange, Verona, Montclair, West Caldwell, Caldwell, and a few others which are close to 280. Each will have it's own challenges as far as traffic. I don't commute to JC, but I'm sure others on this board do and could comment on time. I'd guestimate 45 mintues for most locations.

Warren wouldn't add a substantial amount of time to your commute and is beautiful, but it's far more suburban than the other towns. So it really matters what you want in a town.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM

65 posts, read 125,793 times
You're all talkin about the Warren off 78 and not Warren county right? Because that commute would be beyond a nightmare.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 AM

41 posts, read 71,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
How rural do you want to be?

I would recommend South Orange, Millburn, and New Providence all of which are convenient to route 78, but each is a fairly different type of town. I'd also recommend towns like West Orange, Verona, Montclair, West Caldwell, Caldwell, and a few others which are close to 280. Each will have it's own challenges as far as traffic. I don't commute to JC, but I'm sure others on this board do and could comment on time. I'd guestimate 45 mintues for most locations.

Warren wouldn't add a substantial amount of time to your commute and is beautiful, but it's far more suburban than the other towns. So it really matters what you want in a town.
Might as well include Maplewood in that list as well.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njraised95 View Post
Might as well include Maplewood in that list as well.
yeah, maplewood also. forgot about that. my general point was to look along 78 and 280. many towns would fit the description, depending on what the poster likes/doesnt like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey