Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 03:48 PM

75 posts, read 132,234 times

Advertisements

Both of these small cities have a similar population size (~20k), walkable urban core with shops and restaurants, and surrounded by picturesque countryside and affluent sought-after suburbs.

I'm wondering if you could give insight on the everyday "feel" and livability of these cities (and their surrounding areas), and what the future trends towards in these areas.

My priorities include:
-job opportunities in a variety of fields
-"community" feel, including town events with good participation
-families and unmarried young professionals to meet
-historic yet convenient to quality grocery stores and the usual big-box shopping/restaurants
-safe pedestrian friendly downtown, including at night and on side streets
-access to day-trips to surrounding areas (hiking, beach, Philly/NYC, fun attractions)

FYI, I prefer a town that has everyday life necessities (grocery, gym, parks, movie theatre) as well as "boutiques", and is not just a tourism spot you walk around once and window shop at little expensive stores. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your help!

PS. Does NJ vs PA make a difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times
I'm more knowedgeable of Morristown than West Chester, but have spent time in both areas so I can provide some insight.

Morristown has an interesting vibe, there are certainly a lot of young professionals in the area; the town is awash with sushi joints, yoga studios, crossfitters and the like. Sidewalk cafe' seating is always full on nice afernoons. Bars are packed at happy hour. Friday and Saturday nights things can get a bit trashy/clubby. It's weird though in that it's not a college town (there are three down the road though), and I can't think of too many other country towns that have that kind of nightlife. There are like 45 liquor licenses issued in the town, and probably close to 70 restaurants. A lot of American fare, Italian, Sushi...the town could really use a good tapas spot. Unlike a lot of nice NJ towns, Morristown is not just a bedroom community but also an employment hub with the courthouse and Headquarters Plaza, so it stays quite busy during the day.

Morristown also has a bit of a WASPy wealthy heritage too, so there's a strong emphasis on history and commemoration in the community, and a lot of big houses and old money. The town and region is diverse though, lots of South and East Asians out and about downtown. The town also has poor black and hispanic sections.

Morristown is quite expensive, and I often wonder how so many post-grads can afford to live there. There are some rented houses but also a lot of luxury rental buildings, with 1-bedroom apartments starting at over 2000/month. There are a decent number of cultural activities such as McCulloch Hall, Morris Museum, and Morristown National Historical Park. It also has direct rail access to Manhattan. On the other side, it offers easy drives (or bikerides even) to pristine natural areas in Washington Valley and Jockey Hollow. You can also drive to Short Hills for all the shopping you'd ever want.

I know less about West Chester, though from the research I've done that did seem to be a close comperable to Morristown in the Philly region. I know West Chester has the university so it has more of the college town vibe going for it. I believe West Chester has a reputation for being a bit more artsy and alternative, whereas Morristown has its odd mix of Yuppy and old-stock WASP...it's like someone took a Manayunk vibe and Wayne and blended them together. West Chester does not have direct rail access to Philly, but the drive is probably less of a hassle since there's no bridge to cross. West Chester is close to Brandywine country which is equally, if not more beautiful than the Morris and Somerset Hills.

As for NJ vs PA? Taxes will probably be lower in PA, but it depends on what kind of housing you wind up with. Beyond that it's really a matter of personal preference.

-Wish there were a place like either in South Jersey...

Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 AM

75 posts, read 132,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I'm more knowedgeable of Morristown than West Chester, but have spent time in both areas so I can provide some insight.

Morristown has an interesting vibe, there are certainly a lot of young professionals in the area; the town is awash with sushi joints, yoga studios, crossfitters and the like. Sidewalk cafe' seating is always full on nice afernoons. Bars are packed at happy hour. Friday and Saturday nights things can get a bit trashy/clubby. It's weird though in that it's not a college town (there are three down the road though), and I can't think of too many other country towns that have that kind of nightlife. There are like 45 liquor licenses issued in the town, and probably close to 70 restaurants. A lot of American fare, Italian, Sushi...the town could really use a good tapas spot. Unlike a lot of nice NJ towns, Morristown is not just a bedroom community but also an employment hub with the courthouse and Headquarters Plaza, so it stays quite busy during the day.

Morristown also has a bit of a WASPy wealthy heritage too, so there's a strong emphasis on history and commemoration in the community, and a lot of big houses and old money. The town and region is diverse though, lots of South and East Asians out and about downtown. The town also has poor black and hispanic sections.

Morristown is quite expensive, and I often wonder how so many post-grads can afford to live there. There are some rented houses but also a lot of luxury rental buildings, with 1-bedroom apartments starting at over 2000/month. There are a decent number of cultural activities such as McCulloch Hall, Morris Museum, and Morristown National Historical Park. It also has direct rail access to Manhattan. On the other side, it offers easy drives (or bikerides even) to pristine natural areas in Washington Valley and Jockey Hollow. You can also drive to Short Hills for all the shopping you'd ever want.

I know less about West Chester, though from the research I've done that did seem to be a close comperable to Morristown in the Philly region. I know West Chester has the university so it has more of the college town vibe going for it. I believe West Chester has a reputation for being a bit more artsy and alternative, whereas Morristown has its odd mix of Yuppy and old-stock WASP...it's like someone took a Manayunk vibe and Wayne and blended them together. West Chester does not have direct rail access to Philly, but the drive is probably less of a hassle since there's no bridge to cross. West Chester is close to Brandywine country which is equally, if not more beautiful than the Morris and Somerset Hills.

As for NJ vs PA? Taxes will probably be lower in PA, but it depends on what kind of housing you wind up with. Beyond that it's really a matter of personal preference.

-Wish there were a place like either in South Jersey...

Thank you! This is a great response.

Do you think young professionals in Morristown are earning a very high salary to afford that very high rent??

Are the "sections" of town strictly defined, like if you cross over one street, are you all of the sudden in a completely different area?

Old 11-01-2014, 11:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
I can see similarities to both. Morristown is a bit larger it seems (not by much) and set up on square; West Chester has a more quaint downtown on a grid with a core few blocks. Both have some nightlife and good restaurants (Morristown has C21).

PA taxes are generally cheaper and both are close to very large suburban job clusters.

Both have excellent schools and sit at the beginning of rolling pretty landscapes.

I would imagine Morristown is slightly more expensive for homes and both are fairly affluent (upper middle class so-to-speak)

To me a lot would come down to jobs and whether you want to be in the Philly or NYC burbs. Taxes and real estate are generally more affordable in Philly burbs when compared to NYC burbs. Both are very nice and would be great places to live

Best of luck

Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Haven't been to West Chester in years but I'd have to agree Morristown is a more affluent waspy town. There are alot more 20 and 30 somethings professionals in Morristown too. It basically comes down to if you want to be in a Philly or NYC burb and in my opinion NYC is much nicer and has more to offer.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM

22 posts, read 42,889 times
West Chester feels much smaller than Morristown. There's nothing like the Headquarters plaza or really all that many buildings above 3 stories in WC.

I'd say Madison is more of an accurate NJ comp for West Chester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey