Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't get all the people here saying they refuse to let anyone in their house. The way I look at it, unless you have something to hide what's the issue? If you had a pipe leaking in your house would you let the plumber in? If you were having new furniture delivered would you let them in or make them drop it at the front door? Sorry, I just don't get it.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I agree. Our township had it done a few years ago. The inspector was in and out of my home in less than 5 minutes. He didn't go upstairs, walked halfway down the basement steps and took a quick look. I'm thinking the OP's issue is that he's going to get caught because of the additions he's made and the town don't know about it.
My experience last summer was essentially the same.

I see this issue as one of financial self-defense. Just as you would defend himself against a physical attack, and just as you would remove a pickpocket's hand from your pocket, allowing an assessor to take a cursory look at your home is potentially just as much of a self-defense strategy.

When the assessor came in for his quick look-around, I followed him from room to room, making sure to point out that--other than
re-painting, re-carpeting, re-roofing, and replacing light fixtures--nothing of note had been done to the house since it was built 17 years ago. I insisted that he take a look at my basement, so that he could see that it remains unfinished--unlike the basements of at least 90% of my neighbors.

If the assessor gained entry to...let's say...3 houses of the same model that had upgraded/finished basements, and if I refused him entry, the probable result would be that my home would be assumed to have a similar basement upgrade, and I would wind up with a higher assessment. In my mind, refusal to allow the assessor entry is the essence of a self-defeating strategy--unless, of course--you have something to hide.

In my case, I have nothing to hide, and because I don't want to subsidize my neighbor's taxes, I allowed the assessor to take a quick look inside my house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
It's a real shame just how much paranoia can affect some people.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't get all the people here saying they refuse to let anyone in their house.
I get it, it's that they don't want people they do not invite into their house. You invite in the plumber, you invite in the drywaller, you invite in the cable guy.

The assessor sent notice (the way a gas company would, for example) that they want to come in and check things out. They created their own invitation and some people take issue with that. The gas company guy at least has their property in your basement, they're just checking on their stuff.

I'm a "if that's how you want it" kind of guy so I don't really care, but the OP has to realize the tax assessor is going to make a guess about certain things and it's likely that they'll guess upwards more than downwards. They have nothing to lose and it puts the burden of proof on the homeowner.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's a real shame just how much paranoia can affect some people.
You're right, of course, but there is an upside to these widespread misconceptions.
The volume of aluminum foil sales has grown as more and more of these folks swath their heads in foil in order to prevent the government from reading their minds--or perhaps due to other irrational types of fears--and that sales volume increase has benefitted my investment in Alcoa stock.

Invest in aluminum companies now!

Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i actually did some renovation since i moved in about 5 years ago. i upgraded my master bathroom and added a full bath and guest bedroom in the basement. the "guest bedroom" isnt a legal bedroom so i couldnt call it that, i dont know if its a problem that there is a bed in there if someone saw it. i believe overall the value of homes has declined slightly since i bought so even with my renovations i figure im about even on today's value vs what i paid 5 years ago.

thats not really why i dont want them in my home but id the renovations would impact the assessment then i guess thats another reason.
If you do not have to let them in then you will come out ahead since they will not add the extra bath and bedroom to your assessment unless they can see it. The increase from the extra bath and BR will certainly be more than whatever max increase they might assign to your existing house.

I let them in and they still messed up my house specs. I added a legal 1/2 bath 5 years ago and when I checked the details of my assessment it said I had 3 baths instead of 2.5. I do not have a finished basement and wanted the inspector to see the unfinished basement as most of my neighbors have finished basements.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
And I still want to know if that picture of a gun in your original post was intentional. If so, I hope the NSA is watching you. In fact, maybe I'll send the NSA your post. I'll bet they can figure out who you are.
haha, its a cheaperthandirt.com catalog. I had just got it in the mail with the postcard so I thought it would be entertaining to use it as the background. I actually changed my mind and cropped most of it out. you do realize that its perfectly legal to own guns like that even in new jersey right? the NSA already knows what I have im sure.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I get it, it's that they don't want people they do not invite into their house. You invite in the plumber, you invite in the drywaller, you invite in the cable guy.

The assessor sent notice (the way a gas company would, for example) that they want to come in and check things out. They created their own invitation and some people take issue with that. The gas company guy at least has their property in your basement, they're just checking on their stuff.

I'm a "if that's how you want it" kind of guy so I don't really care, but the OP has to realize the tax assessor is going to make a guess about certain things and it's likely that they'll guess upwards more than downwards. They have nothing to lose and it puts the burden of proof on the homeowner.
yeah, i dont like anyone feeling they have the right to come in my home. im a small government guy and i believe the less we accept them in our lives, the better off we are.

also, it seems there may be something to lose if i get a higher assessment. id imagine their goal is to bring in more revenue, so they are looking to add.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, i dont like anyone feeling they have the right to come in my home. im a small government guy and i believe the less we accept them in our lives, the better off we are.

also, it seems there may be something to lose if i get a higher assessment. id imagine their goal is to bring in more revenue, so they are looking to add.

As to their goal: The real estate taxes are based on the value of the real estate. There is a reasonable element of fairness to periodically updating those values so that the taxes are reflective of value.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Why would I just make up an answer? My answer was based on several lengthy threads on reassessments in towns in my area on a very active local online message board, including multiple posts from residents who didn't arrange for the inspection, found their taxes went way up, submitted an appeal, and had them lowered after having their house inspected. My information is as valid as anything anyone else has posted.
actually, if this is the case then your information is more valid than someone like ansky who complied with the assessor and then made up his own guess about what would have happened if he didnt. haha, funny those people that just make up answers, right?

i guess i read your post wrong as it seemed to me that you also were drawing a conclusion of what you would expect to happen based on "logic." sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 01-15-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 03:06 PM

622 posts, read 3,112,727 times
My brother was on vacation during their reassessments of his town. The people who did it "assumed" every single SF of his house was finished. Basement and attic included. His attic, which has a very low ceiling where you can't even stand up in, and is not finished btw, was also considered "finished" and a living space, and was charged accordingly.

Long story short, he later reassessed again, and they lowered it to where he needs to be.

Good story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey