Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 AM

13 posts, read 14,640 times

Advertisements

**Advise, and insight needed***
My family ( husband,4 boys 8,7,7,5 and myself) are looking to move to Freehold Twp. by May 2015 from Bergen County. After some research (which looks good on paper) we agree that this town is a good fit for our family. The houses seem affordable, with a comfortable size property for our above average family. Testing scores seem to be above average; but I wanted more information of the dynamics and demographics. In Bergen county a lot of schools don't have parent involvement, and/or a lot of times the ones that do- parents are very "clicky" and/or "connected in town". I'm also very interested in the extra curricular school activities, and the youth sports in town. We are a blended multi cultured family, so diversity is important. I am South American and my husband is American, and we are both Roman Catholic ( any churches that can be recommended in town? my boys will need to attend CCD). If anyone has any answers or recommendations, before I take the plunge please help ease my nerves. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 01:16 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
In Freehold Township the R.C. church is St. Robert Bellarmine and in Freehold Borough it's St. Rose of Lima. The youth sports program in town is very good (both rec and schools). You've already done your homework on the schools. The only thing I can add is the fact that the high schools (Freehold, Freehold Township, Colts Neck, Marlboro and Manalapan) are all part of the Freehold Regional High School district. Depending on where you live in the township or what career path your children are taking will determine the high school they will go to. Although we lived in the township my children went to the borough high school. We couldn't have been more happy. I'm sure people will tell you don't let your kids go to the borough high school because "THOSE KIDS" (Hispanics, African Americans) go there. To those people all I can say is B.S. Where in the township are you looking to move? It's nearly 45 square miles. Good luck to you.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM

472 posts, read 812,781 times
Freehold Twp. is a very nice town, although I may be biased since I used to live there. There is some diversity, good schools (as you know), but I don't know much about the churches.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 PM

@ exhdo1- thank you for your response. We found a house by liberty oak park, I called transportation and my boys will end up in Laura Donavan ( which I am ok with, since my realtor knows the principal). I am not intimidated by Borough or the High schools at that, I would hope, by that point the kids will have acquainted themselves to the other kids and the area.
@spaceman27- thank you for your response

** What hospitals, supermarkets, pharmacies, drycleaners, restaurants are good in the area?

Old 03-04-2015, 02:10 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,631,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lriv619 View Post
@ exhdo1- thank you for your response. We found a house by liberty oak park, I called transportation and my boys will end up in Laura Donavan ( which I am ok with, since my realtor knows the principal). I am not intimidated by Borough or the High schools at that, I would hope, by that point the kids will have acquainted themselves to the other kids and the area.
@spaceman27- thank you for your response

** What hospitals, supermarkets, pharmacies, drycleaners, restaurants are good in the area?
Centra State is the closest hospital to you. It's on Rt 537, 5-10 minutes from where your looking. Across from the hospital is Iron Bridge Road and that should be renamed doctors road. There is also a Top Tomato supermarket near the hospital. You also have Shop Rite a few minutes away on Rt. 9, Wegman's is a little further up on Rt.9 in Manalapan. Food Town on Rt. 33 in the borough. Plenty of good restaurants down in the borough, some good ones in the township as well and if you want to travel a bit, lots of good places in Red Bank. You also have the typical Chili's, TGIF, Ruby Tuesday's and the like close by. There is a pharmacy at the intersection of Wemrock and 537. I think all the supermarkets have them as well. I guess you got the name Liberty Oak Park from your realtor. It was changed years ago to Michael J Tighe park but everyone I know still calls it Liberty Oak. Since you'll be close to Freehold Township High School, that's where your kids will be districted for. Once again, good luck with your move.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:05 AM

@exhdo1- thanks again...
I was able to map out all my places of interest and needs.... I actually drove around the other day; top tomato seemed like a market/family owned catering place ( not for my weekly shopping), Wegmans was a bit out of the way, and the Shop rite looked run down... Maybe I'm too picky lol - I saw an Acme as well- real close to me, but I am not familiar with that chain. I also, saw a Wal-Mart and Sams Club which is a plus. I drove by Centra State as well. What confused me a bit is why the kids would be districted to Laura Donovan and not Erickson?? it is so different than what I am used to in Bergen County. The mall seemed nice, always a plus!

***Does anyone have insight on traffic Northbound on Rt 9 at 7am and Southbound on Rt 9 at 4:45pm
my commute will be Freehold to Paramus. Leaving the house by 7am to be in Paramus by 8:30am and I will leave Paramus at 4pm

Old 03-11-2015, 11:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
You're gonna hate driving on Rt.9 I don't care what time weekdays, it's a messy commute. Accident prone yet it's mostly straight road. You got the buses hogging up one lane and speedsters weaving in/out and people yapping or texting on the phone while driving. I just hate driving on Rt9 through Freehold to anywhere north or south.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
@exhdo1- thanks again...
I was able to map out all my places of interest and needs.... I actually drove around the other day; top tomato seemed like a market/family owned catering place ( not for my weekly shopping), Wegmans was a bit out of the way, and the Shop rite looked run down... Maybe I'm too picky lol - I saw an Acme as well- real close to me, but I am not familiar with that chain. I also, saw a Wal-Mart and Sams Club which is a plus. I drove by Centra State as well. What confused me a bit is why the kids would be districted to Laura Donovan and not Erickson?? it is so different than what I am used to in Bergen County. The mall seemed nice, always a plus!

***Does anyone have insight on traffic Northbound on Rt 9 at 7am and Southbound on Rt 9 at 4:45pm
my commute will be Freehold to Paramus. Leaving the house by 7am to be in Paramus by 8:30am and I will leave Paramus at 4pm
There's a large Central American presence in downtown Freehold whenever I drive through there.

That commute would be hellacious, especially in a winter like we just had. Route 9 is light after light. An hour and a half would be possible under Sunday traffic conditions maybe. On a rainy Monday? I wouldn't even want to ponder it. And I know both areas well having grown up in BC.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 AM

@ebwick-on Sundays it takes me 50-55 minutes door to door. I figured leaving freehold by 6:30-7am should be ok, my bigger concern is leaving Paramus at 4pm.

My job is flexible but doubt they will let me leave earlier than 4. Thankfully the schools have after care until 6:30p- which is a relief for the days I get stuck in traffic. If the commute gets to be too much, I will consider changing jobs... I have been at my current job for 10 years, and benefits are great- I am totally torn but I really fell in love with the house and lifestyle I can afford to give my family in freehold.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 AM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
@ebwick-on Sundays it takes me 50-55 minutes door to door. I figured leaving freehold by 6:30-7am should be ok, my bigger concern is leaving Paramus at 4pm.

My job is flexible but doubt they will let me leave earlier than 4. Thankfully the schools have after care until 6:30p- which is a relief for the days I get stuck in traffic. If the commute gets to be too much, I will consider changing jobs... I have been at my current job for 10 years, and benefits are great- I am totally torn but I really fell in love with the house and lifestyle I can afford to give my family in freehold.
Yes, that could be a problem. I took the day off yesterday to see my dentist and visit my mother. I made sure I left my mother's house by 3:30 to avoid the worst of the Parkway traffic and guess what. I still sat in traffic by Saddle River Road/the old Red Mill to get ON to the Parkway, and then the Parkway itself had varying spots where the traffic was stopped due to congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey