Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 05:19 PM

240 posts, read 1,264,894 times

Advertisements

Which part of Bergen County is better, North Bergen County or South Bergen County? Are most people in Bergen County wealthy and rich? I've heard that Bergen County is one of the richest counties in America. Is that true?

Please answer the three questions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:02 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Which part of Bergen County is better, North Bergen County or South Bergen County? Are most people in Bergen County wealthy and rich? I've heard that Bergen County is one of the richest counties in America. Is that true?

1.) and 2.) The northern part is nicer, but it is also the most expensive. Most of the county's wealth is concentrated in the north. While Southern Bergen is not cheap per say, it's more middle class (For example, towns like Lodi, Garfield, Little Ferry, Elmwood Park, Moonachie, Lyndhurt, etc. are middle class.)

3.) Yes it is. However, the counties of Somerset, Hunterdon, and Morris are richer than Bergen. IMO, they are nicer too.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 PM

39 posts, read 157,326 times
I just moved to North Arlington, the southernmost tip of Bergen, and I lived in Fair Lawn for a year (I think that's more central). From what I can tell, southern parts seem to be more middle class. The particular area of Fair Lawn I lived in definitely wasn't dominated by a demographic I would consider super rich. Never lived in northern parts of the county, but I think the people down here seem more real and I just like it better overall.

People have been crossing the river from NYC seeking a lower cost of living, which subsequently drives our cost of living up. The cost of living in all of northeastern NJ has been driven up lots primarily because of its proximity/accessibility to the city.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
I like South Bergen County Way better!

North bergen county is more high class with higher tax and housing prices for not as much to do as south bergen county.

Though South bergen isnt cheap but is cheaper than North of the county, it has more to do and can get better transportation to NYC and closer to airports and still are able to get GREAT houses.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:16 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I like South Bergen County Way better!

North bergen county is more high class with higher tax and housing prices for not as much to do as south bergen county.

Though South bergen isnt cheap but is cheaper than North of the county, it has more to do and can get better transportation to NYC and closer to airports and still are able to get GREAT houses.
Actually the taxes are higher in many south Bergen towns. For instance communities such as Paramus and Saddle River which are in Northern Bergen County have very low property taxes. The town you live in (Lodi) has one of the highest property tax rates in the entire state.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post

LOL, you should have phrased the question "Answer me, these questions three" like the troll under the bridge.

Bergen isn't that high in terms of income. Like the previous poster said, Morris, Somerset, and Hunterdon are more wealthy. Now, if Upper Bergen was a separate county, it'd probably be the richest in NJ, and one of the richest in the nation. But Southern Bergen County brings it down a bit.

Northern Bergen is definitely more expensive and nicer by most people's standards. Think Saddle River, Ridgewood, Ramsey, and Ho Ho Kus versus Lyndhurst, Rutherford, Carlstadt, and Wallington. No comparison!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM

328 posts, read 1,196,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
LOL, you should have phrased the question "Answer me, these questions three" like the troll under the bridge.

Bergen isn't that high in terms of income. Like the previous poster said, Morris, Somerset, and Hunterdon are more wealthy. Now, if Upper Bergen was a separate county, it'd probably be the richest in NJ, and one of the richest in the nation. But Southern Bergen County brings it down a bit.

Northern Bergen is definitely more expensive and nicer by most people's standards. Think Saddle River, Ridgewood, Ramsey, and Ho Ho Kus versus Lyndhurst, Rutherford, Carlstadt, and Wallington. No comparison!
Rutherford is a well to do, very desirable town compared to Wallington, Carlstadt and Lyndhurst. And as such the taxes are extremely high. Also some parts of Ho-Ho-Kus are upper class while other parts are very middle class.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
Rutherford is a well to do, very desirable town compared to Wallington, Carlstadt and Lyndhurst. And as such the taxes are extremely high. Also some parts of Ho-Ho-Kus are upper class while other parts are very middle class.
Rutherford may be nice compared to Lyndhurst and Carlstadt, but still doesn't hold a candle to many/most of Northern Bergen County's suburbs.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:49 AM

169 posts, read 702,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Rutherford may be nice compared to Lyndhurst and Carlstadt, but still doesn't hold a candle to many/most of Northern Bergen County's suburbs.
Rutherford actually does hold a candle IMO, it is a bit more crowded than upper bergen county but is a very classy town with great schools, and amentities. Upper Bergen county is nice but way too rural for my liking. Rutherford has a nice strip of resturants, shopping, etc. on Park Ave and all of the side streets are very quiet and tree-lined so you have the best of both worlds (most homes also have large lots compared to the rest of southern bergen county).

Upper Bergen is great for families and older people, Rutherford is also great for that as well as the young professional couple.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
Depends on what you consider "better."

Northern Bergen County tends to win the race... most of the towns are more suburban. There are more big grassy lawns, and pretty little parks, better libraries and tonier stores/restaurants. Public Schools are by far better in most Northern Bergen County towns (don't rip me apart, I know there are exceptions... but for the most part, this is true.) You will also find nicer "town amenities" like pool clubs and the like here. Of course, they come with a hefty price tag and it's just unaffordable for many. There are towns where you may be able to get a decent home (or even an apartment from time to time) that will not completely break the bank - like Paramus, Mahwah or River Edge... and you will get a good school system and other amenities. There are other towns that are just for the super wealthy (Franklin Lakes, Alpine, Upper Saddle River). While some of the Northern BC towns have fantastic downtown districts, Ridgewood being the king of them all, some towns are criticized for having basically no downtown (Paramus, Washington Township). Also, the towns with easier access to Rt.17 or the Garden State Parkway are more appealing because others are a bear to get too... just getting from the town to the main highway is a trip (towns like Closter, Cresskill, etc.).

Southern Bergen: While not as manicured as it's Northern counterparts, it does have its charms. Yes, Rutherford considers itself the diamond of Southern Bergen County. While it is nice compared to some other towns in the area, I agree that it does not hold a candle to most towns in upper Bergen. Southern Bergen is more diverse, it's still expensive, but the average family makes less money. It is more blue than white collar, although demographic changed a bit during the recent super high house prices... but does have a more blue collar feel to it. That's both good and bad, as I've lived in both areas. Public Schools in Southern Bergen can vary greatly from town to town. Rutherford's are not bad, but they are not as great as people think. Actually, Hasbrouck Heights probably has some of the best Public schools in the lower half of the state. Garfield, Lodi and Hackensack have the most depressed public school districts and lowest test scores. I know that at least one charter school (in Garfield) has opened to give students from those districts another choice. Some towns are really more blue collar - Moonachie, Wallington and Carlstadt for example. Others have a very large immigrant population - Little Ferry, North Arlington, East Rutherford. Some are very small not often heard of towns - like Wood Ridge. It runs the gammut.

If you are looking for diversity, somewhat lower prices and easy access to the city and main highways - Southern may be your ticket. Some say it's less snobby - some say it is more "trashy" - these are matters of opinion only.

If you want better schools and more tony areas, most of upper Bergen would be better for you - but it comes with a price tag. And again, there is what many will refer to as the snob factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey