Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
yeah, I caught the 7:46 from fanwood today--track 5
The train after yours was on Track 1 this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 02:50 PM

389 posts, read 664,442 times
that is what I noticed the previous two days. So there is some regularity...

Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
that is what I noticed the previous two days. So there is some regularity...
Weeelllll, last week we were on Track 5 at least once. I stand by my assertion that it's got a schedule and system except for when it doesn't.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:00 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um, this seems to be something every Newark PATH rider knows except for you and the OP.
So yeah i confirmed this yesterday, you guys were right. I have only been commuting into NYC for the past 18 months or so, and am shocked i never realized this. I always saw some folks walk through the train to the other side of the platform to wait for the next one and wondered to myself, how do they know that side is opening next? Now i know. Thanks everyone lol.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
So yeah i confirmed this yesterday, you guys were right. I have only been commuting into NYC for the past 18 months or so, and am shocked i never realized this. I always saw some folks walk through the train to the other side of the platform to wait for the next one and wondered to myself, how do they know that side is opening next? Now i know. Thanks everyone lol.
Welcome to the club. It's just one more tool in helping to manage the nightmare that is commuting from New Jersey!

Old 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Welcome to the club. It's just one more tool in helping to manage the nightmare that is commuting from New Jersey!
Do you really think it's that bad? I only commute to WTC twice a week and only since September but other than one bad day (Tuesday actually - on the PATH for an hour due to signal problems) it's been fine for me. My commute is only about 50 minutes, but I live close to Newark on the RVL. *shrugs*

Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Do you really think it's that bad? I only commute to WTC twice a week and only since September but other than one bad day (Tuesday actually - on the PATH for an hour due to signal problems) it's been fine for me. My commute is only about 50 minutes, but I live close to Newark on the RVL. *shrugs*
To tell the truth, it usually goes fairly smoothly. It's just long, or at least my commute is, and I've been at it for too many years. My commute is an hour and a half, from Monmouth County to Jersey City. Office will move back to the city next month, but that's only one more PATH stop.

It's the whole thing, not just whether the trains run smoothly. Trying to get out of the house on time to catch the train on time. Parking the car, then paying for the parking in the machine, which doesn't always work. Then the train is coming but I've got to get across the tracks before it gets there.

Get on the train, usually a 56-minute, uneventful ride. That's the best part. Mostly, it's reading time.

Then Newark Penn. Get on a PATH train, usually standing. Stand there freezing in the cold weather, waiting for the door to close. 20 minutes of being slammed around while the train jerks and stops and starts. Then get off the train, walk with a herd of other people to the escalator, go upstairs and outside to the cold wind blowing off the Hudson, go get coffee and breakfast if I don't have my boiled eggs and banana that morning, then schlep everything another block to the office...get in the office, remove the coat, put down the stuff...I'm exhausted by the time I get there. 36 years of different variations of this story. I'm tired of it.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:34 AM

389 posts, read 664,442 times
just an update on this thread...

I spend the last two weeks making note of the arrival tracks that the train I was on. Looks like the following is the 'norm'-- that said, there was once or twice where the track changed on me

> train 5412: arrives track 5
> train 5416: arrives track A
> train 5420: arrives track 5 (though it was on track 1 once)
> train 5422: arrives track 1 (not sure about this one-- only caught it once)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey