Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 16,026 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post here. My name is Bonnie and I live in Monmouth county NJ. In September 2012, my young son and I moved into my fiance's apartment. It is the upstairs of a two story home and the landlord lived on the ground floor. The landlord was an elderly shut-in. My fiancé never had a written lease, only a verbal agreement with the landlord to pay $600 a month, all utilities included, and this stayed the same when I moved in. We continued to pay our rent as usual for these few years with no problems. I had no idea this was an illegal apartment until a couple months ago my landlord mentioned that it is. But we stayed and kept paying our rent because we have no financial means to move right now and my landlord needed us just as much as we needed him. He was like a grandfather to us. Then, our landlord passed away this Sunday, 2/22/15. Couple days later, we get a knock at the door from the neighbor, who is the executor of the will, and he tells us about this woman who I didn't even know existed is the actual owner of the house. The owners intentions are to sell the house as-is, and she demanded that we move out in 2 weeks! My fiancé and me and my 6 year old son. Plus the executor is asking for the rent that we are behind on. it was a month and a half but he decided to only ask for the half month "considering the circumstances"....I made some phone calls to the court and they told me that only a court order can remove us from the house. Can someone give me any advice on this? I think this is absolutely ridiculous to be forced into this situation by this ruthless and inconsiderate woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:58 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Ruthless and inconsiderate? She's forgiving the month's rent you owe. Use that money to move. Don't wait for the court order to evict, you will have a very difficult time renting anything else with a recent eviction on your record.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM

But that's my point- she does need a court order, right? She can't just verbally kick us out, and especially in such a short time I assume.

And I'm behind on the rent because I don't have any money. If I wait for the eviction, at least that will buy me some more time to save up for a deposit. And on the other hand, since it's an illegal apartment, rent can't be owed in the first place, so technically I don't have to pay it, or am I wrong? I also was reading about relocation assistance- if that applies here, she would end up paying me.

I was forced into this situation- my landlord died. so I don't know how it would even count as an eviction. What would be the grounds?

And I call her inconsiderate because what kind of person would give a struggling family with a young child two WEEKS to pack up their lives and move into a new home? I think the term inconsiderate fits perfectly.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:10 PM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
How terribly inconsiderate of the actual owners of the house to ask that you move out of their house when you have not paid your rent. The gall of these people!!! Why, I think you should take full advantage of the old man's death and make those people evict you- don't pay for months! Make someone else pay to support your family!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Preface: I am not a lawyer.
Minimum of one month notice if your tenancy is considered month-to-month (which it sounds like it is). If it's considered a tenancy at will, three months notice. Even if they boot you out for not paying the rent, they still have to give certain notices.

Since this is a two-unit owner occupied residence, they likely don't need any grounds besides that you don't have a lease, and in any case if you're late with the rent they've got grounds.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM

Ok Hollytree, re-read my post. My landlord died and the owner wants to sell the house- that's why we are being asked to leave. Nothing about rent, that just happened to be a coincidence that we are a month behind at the same time all of this happened. And I'm the one who brought up the court order, NOT the owner. I was looking for more time than 2 weeks to save money, and I know it's a long shot, but possibly get relocation assistance.

Please read and comprehend the details before throwing sarcastic insults around.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Bu it is a fact you are behind in rent regardless. then you want more than two weeks more free.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 PM

223 posts, read 321,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsantos2015 View Post
I think this is absolutely ridiculous to be forced into this situation by this ruthless and inconsiderate woman.
I don't know if you're going to find much sympathy here, OP. You had a ridiculous deal ($600/month including utilities in central NJ??) and didn't pay your rent. Now the owner died. Did you really expect to keep living there rent-free?

The advice you get here is worth exactly what you're paying for it. You need to seek legal counsel and start looking for a new place ASAP.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsantos2015 View Post
But that's my point- she does need a court order, right? She can't just verbally kick us out, and especially in such a short time I assume.

And I'm behind on the rent because I don't have any money. If I wait for the eviction, at least that will buy me some more time to save up for a deposit. And on the other hand, since it's an illegal apartment, rent can't be owed in the first place, so technically I don't have to pay it, or am I wrong? I also was reading about relocation assistance- if that applies here, she would end up paying me.

Where were you going to find the money for next month's rent?

Are you saying that because the apartment is illegal, and you have no money, you should just stay there until you have the money to leave? I'm just curious (and I am really not judging you, since I was once in a situation where I really struggled to pay my rent).

I was forced into this situation- my landlord died. so I don't know how it would even count as an eviction. What would be the grounds?

You have no right to live there because it is an illegal apartment, you have no lease, and you are not paying any rent.

And where is your fiance in all this? Is he contributing to the household?

And I call her inconsiderate because what kind of person would give a struggling family with a young child two WEEKS to pack up their lives and move into a new home? I think the term inconsiderate fits perfectly.
I agree that two weeks in a very short time to find a place to live.

Perhaps there is some public housing in Monmouth County you can live in, at least on an emergency basis, especially since there is a child involved.

I don't know if this link is the latest info, but you could try it.

Monmouth County Housing Authority

Monmouth County Low Income Apartments

Monmouth County Assistance Programs

See if you can contact any of these agencies on Monday!

Also, I found this article written by a lawyer in 2012. I have no idea if this is still in effect. The article states that "The illegality of the apartment can trigger a tenant's right to relocation benefits (six times the monthly rent)."

New York and New Jersey Consumer Law Blog -- Illegal Apartments and Convictions

Old 03-01-2015, 01:42 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Only a judge can evict you from your apartment in NJ. The landlord will have to go through the eviction process which takes time. Only a special court officer, with a warrant for removal, can physically remove you.
You can fight the eviction and drag it out but it would be in your interest to pay your rent, on time, every month, or put the money in escrow to show that you tried to pay the rent. If you do not pay or put aside your rent, the eviction process goes faster and you will not be entitled to any relocation monies.
You may also want to negotiate with the landlord and get "keys for cash". This is when they give you money to move out sooner because it would be cheaper and faster than fighting it in court.
If the landlord were to lock you out, or shut off utilities, they could be arrested and could face jail time so that probably will not happen.
I suggest you contact your local legal aid office and get advice from a lawyer (if you qualify).

If this is an owner occupied, less than 3 unit house, then less rules apply - but I am not if sure that your situation. If this is the case, a one month notice is required.

Last edited by foodyum; 03-01-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: