Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:04 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,815 times

Advertisements

With all of the ruckus about the middle class and lower middle class being eliminated, do you believe section 8 is a good thing? I know alot of these welfare programs were created for the Depression Era, but I was wondering has these programs hinderd our society?

I think the purpose of these threads is to open our minds and I really want to open mine and kind of challenged what I have always thought on the subject.

Last edited by neekah18; 01-15-2008 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,327 times
No I don't think it is. Although it pays a part of the rent there is no incentive for the person to better their life. They can find more and more programs that enable that type of dependency.

I am a landlord and I don't want sec-8 and if I'm not careful I can get fined if I were to come out and state that. Is that fair? I can't even have a choice who I rent to.

There are no easy answers and there are many aspect to section 8, if we ask the social worker they would say yes, it's their job.

Ask the senior who can not afford there taxes, they will say no.

More and more people want something for nothing.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM

28 posts, read 37,908 times
Have to agree with Mike on this one. Just another way for people to get something for nothing and learn to depends on others and the government.

section 8 is not good, sure it serves a purpose but the whole system could use a good revamp.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:05 AM

222 posts, read 1,026,053 times
Section 8 is definitely not good for the community or property values. I've lived in 2 separate condo communities that became overrun with section 8 folks. From what I heard from the landlords there, the govt was willing to pay more then the going rental rate so many landlords jumped on it. This was central jersey, so we're talking north of $1200 per month in rent for a 2 bedroom. Of course, the crime rate went up in the area and a bunch of these section 8 condos were destroyed by their tenants.

It really frosted my cookies too, to know that I was busting my butt to make ends meet and there was someone living next door in an identical condo who had 3 kids and no job.

Last edited by krusher; 01-15-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM

That is what upsets me. Is the criteria for receiving Section 8 based upon income? Is that why they keep raising minimum wage every year or so? Because they figure welfare recipients only work minimum wage jobs and if we can keep raising minimum wage maybe there won't be a need for welfare.

I guess it would help if I actually met or heard from someone who has received Section 8 and was a success story. I haven't met one yet that can form a complete sentence but yet they know all the tricks to "beating the system. They know how to move in and out of state with Section 8 and what other assistance they can receive but will not contact anyone for a decent job or further their education (even though they can receive a substantial amount of financial aid while us poor working folks had to work full-time to pay tuition and bust our humps for even the smallest scholarship).

Old 01-15-2008, 11:57 AM

18 posts, read 72,746 times
Default sec 8

Sec 8 is a vey good program and yes it does help WORKING people who can't afford the 1300 rent for a 2 bdr. I work for the State of NJ and I am on sec 8. If it wasn't for the program I would not be able to support my family.......thank goodness for the programs that are still around to help low income working people any salary under 40,000 is considered low income.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 29,015 times
Section 8 Success story right here! When I was 19 (with a 4 year old son) my cousin called me early in the morning telling me that there was a "Section 8 Line" that we would have stand in for hours, in order to sign up for Section 8. Needless to say...I wasn't very interested. She practically drug me out of bed to go. And it turns out that that was one of the best things I've done to better my life.

I was able to remove myself and my son from "The Hood", and a very negative environment; to a more positive one. I remember my rent being just $12!! But at the same time, I was in college and not working much. Section 8 allowed me to be able to focus on school and get good grades, instead of having to work full time in order to pay full rent. I really think that if I wouldn't have had Section 8, I would have not finished college because of the negative environment that my son and I were in. I would have just worked my behind off to get us a better place to live, and probably would have never had time for school.

I graduated from Temple U when I was 25 and now...2 years later, I have a great job with a great salary, and I'm about to close on my first condo!! I'll be saying bye bye to Section 8 on February 25th when I close. So all in all, I think that Section 8 is a good thing for those who plan to use it to better their lives. BUT, I'd say about 85% of the people who are on Section 8 are not using it for that reason. I have friends and know people from "The Hood" that are having babies and purposely loosing their jobs just so that their rent will be lower. That's not right. I think there should be a 5 year limit on Section 8. I mean, I did it in 5 years...so it's definitely possible.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM

42 posts, read 62,783 times
No, Section 8 makes people depended on the government for assistance. Dependency means lazyness.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 PM

Congratulations to you Tam!!! I definitely think there should be a limit to Section 8. I know people that have children and are on Section 8, won't work in a pie factory, but will be the first one waiting during tax season because they let someone claim their child on their income tax so they can get the money!!! There are also people who live in nice neighborhoods where there are working families who don't qualify for any aid but they continue to struggle. Those that receive Section 8 and food stamps drive around in new cars and SUV's.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:13 PM

Oh and also on the first of the month they will have grocery carts full of food and a ton of junk food, while I am clipping coupons and trying to find sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey