Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:37 AM

7,222 posts, read 11,944,967 times

Advertisements

Enjoy!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbda/geic...Adg#.me4DdqeP8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:19 AM

882 posts, read 1,672,791 times
Nice!

Though, it seems that Asbury Park has a good music scene, the rest of the state not so much.
I appreciated the mention of rural areas, growing up in northwest NJ, I could never understand why people thought the state was ugly.

No mention of any cities or nightlife...I think that sums up the state's drawbacks pretty well.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,158,257 times
I don't know why people in NJ love diners. It's like eating at a corporate cafeteria.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't know why people in NJ love diners. It's like eating at a corporate cafeteria.
Depends on the diner. Some have very good food. Some are just blah.

But people like them, I think, because you can get anything you want at any time of day.

Two years ago, on my birthday, I worked late, it was raining and miserable outside, my daughter wasn't coming home until the weekend, and I didn't feel like just going home and scrounging around to cook for myself or eating peanut butter and jelly, which is my dinner two or three times a week.

I thought, "What do I really want to eat tonight?" and my brain said, "You want french toast and sausages." So at 7:30 p.m., I went to the diner near my house and got that with a hot cup of tea and I was a happy birthday woman.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:33 AM

7,222 posts, read 11,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

But people like them, I think, because you can get anything you want at any time of day.

Two years ago, on my birthday, I worked late, it was raining and miserable outside, my daughter wasn't coming home until the weekend, and I didn't feel like just going home and scrounging around to cook for myself or eating peanut butter and jelly, which is my dinner two or three times a week.

I thought, "What do I really want to eat tonight?" and my brain said, "You want french toast and sausages." So at 7:30 p.m., I went to the diner near my house and got that with a hot cup of tea and I was a happy birthday woman.

Good for you!

I like two things about a "good" diner. First, as said above, you can get whatever you want whenever your want. There's something for every taste and diet. The second, is that the food always comes out very quickly.

Unless we are with a group, my husband and I always sit at the counter. That's where the interesting folks are.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,713,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I was sitting here wracking my brain to try to remember the miserable weather on our birthday and couldn't....then I remembered I was on a cruise.

I like diners for what they are, like you and Calico mentioned!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:58 AM

88,665 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I was sitting here wracking my brain to try to remember the miserable weather on our birthday and couldn't....then I remembered I was on a cruise.

I like diners for what they are, like you and Calico mentioned!
Hahaha, good for you. I remember it was a Thursday night and just pouring rain and kind of cold for mid-summer. Last year my daughter and I went to Atlantic City for my birthday. I taught her how to play Let-It-Ride. I felt it was part of my motherly responsibilities.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM

46 posts, read 71,219 times
diners can be sort of hit or miss. but the good thing is that there's a lot of them so you don't have to settle.

nice seeing White House Subs pictured in the article, that place is the best.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,987,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I appreciated the mention of rural areas, growing up in northwest NJ, I could never understand why people thought the state was ugly.
I live in northern Hunterdon County and work in Ewing. Ewing is not entirely heavily urbanized (sometimes its hard to tell where Ewing ends and Hopewell begins and vice versa) and people here don't realize how rural it gets as you head north on Route 31. For example, I remarked to my coworkers just now that the cow barn at the prison farm dairy near my house burned down and people looked at me with wonderment that such things exist in NJ:

Hay barn near Mountainview Correctional Facility burns (PHOTOS) | NJ.com

Old 04-16-2015, 03:45 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,692,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Not even close ,pretty sure most New Jerseyians have fond memories of diners either after a date or a long evening of drinking "down the shore"and no corporate cafeteria I have ever seen can match a "good" NJ Diner.Mine was Pats in Belmar or sometimes the OB in Point at the circle .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey