Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:49 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
We moved from NJ to the Charleston SC area almost 2 years ago and we love it. We love the big, beautiful Carolina sky, the friendly people, the slower pace, quick and easy access to the beaches and the beauty of Charleston. Sure, we miss some of the food, but now we have access to some of the best restaurants in the country here in Charleston and we love the fantastic seafood and the southern cuisine.
Imperieux,

Speaking of cuisine, since I noticed you lived in Charleston, have you ever been to Hyman Seafood on Meeting St? One my top seafood joints in the entire U.S. Not to mention one of the largest menus. Also, Jestine's right down the street for soul food.

Overall, Charleston ranks as one of my favorite restaurant cities in the U.S. It's right up there with NYC, no kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:03 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,522 times
Granted I miss NJ - but I come on this NJ board and the SC board. NJ will always be home to me, I lived there for 43 years. If someone asks a question about NJ, I may be able to help them.

Trust me I know we are not moving back - honestly we do have a better quality of life living in SC.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,335 times
There are many things to miss about NJ,friends,food,sports etc. but i feel the south has more for your $$$$$, things like parking in the city is impossible for simple things like the doctors office, post office,courthouse,who can forget street cleaning tickets $$$$ i dont miss any of that stuff!! knowing i can leave my house and come back to my space is like gold to me. Sure i miss NJ sometimes but not enough to go back.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 AM

30 posts, read 121,900 times
Summerling, thanks for posting! I'm glad your girls were able to adjust well to your move to PA. I really am trying to escape the cold if possible, and something about PA just doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling lol. But...coastal SC sounds nice. I am going to be researching some of the areas on the coast, so thanks for the tips!

KinAtoms, thanks for the post about CA. I'm sorry it was a crummy experience, but I admire you for trying!!! I wish I would have gotten it out of my system pre-children, but there wasn't much time for that as I had them young. I still want to land out there one day...but I don't think it is a good choice for the family right now. After I am done with college though...we'll see what the prices out there are doing. My heart still lies in the idea of living there, but I need less stress right now, not more. The part you said about "peace being as unattainable there as it is in New Jersey" resonates. I am sure that is true...unless you are uber-rich! Especially the way prices went up there even more so than here. I was looking up some little houses in Long Beach...600k, 1200 sq ft, no lot...that were about 200k not all that many years ago! Ugh! I must put the idea aside and refer to posts like yours.

findinghope, thanks for posting about NC. I really would like to see what all the fuss is about there in Charlotte. I am not one to follow the crowd, but hey there has to be a reason so many are migrating there!

lolamom - your post was very, very helpful!! "Sure nothing compares to NY but I found we never ever went into the city when we lived in the burbs and both in Seattle and Atlanta, we really enjoyed combining suburban lifestyles with frequent city outings." - That sounds like me! That is what I would like as well. I can't be in the middle of nowhere and would really like to be able to utilize a city yet have the suburbs for my kids. I wish Seattle weren't so cold! I probably shouldn't rule it out with all the other good things it has. My dh and I were talking and he knows I would be happiest outside of a city. I'm not an everyday kind of soccer/caravan mom..not that there is anything wrong with that, but it makes it harder to fit in..even here (though in NJ, noone bats an eye if you are a little different, there still aren't many progressive types where I currently am.) Though not a requirement, I know I would be happiest in an area near some sort of city life! Thank you for posting.

colleng47- good luck on your journey to OK! Our favorite pediatrician moved out that way not long ago. She will be missed! I hope your kids adjust easily. I think moving somewhere new and being adventurous is much better than sitting in the same place for 30 yrs if you aren't happy. I would have liked the adventure of moving somewhere new when I was a teenager! OK would have been quite a shock to me as I was on the train to nyc all the time lol..but it would have probably kept me out of more trouble! I am definitely ready for change. I have been for a long time, and I know it would also be good for my kids. Now if I can only chose where to go! I wish you a safe and happy journey!

imperieux: thank you for posting about SC. It is good to hear you found somewhere that helped you have less stress! I am sorry to hear about the cancer and do hope you are well now. I am thinking very much about the cultural differences of the south vs. here, and I am not sure I can do the deep south, even if it is cheaper. I did get to stay in Columbia, SC for a few weeks, and it was pretty, but very much a culture shock. I do not think I could live there. I didn't get to see the other areas, like the SC coast much though, and I am hearing a lot of good things. I am thinking about everything from all angles and wouldn't pick somewhere just based on lower prices alone. I'm trying my best to find the right fit! It is encouraging to hear from those who have found theirs. I really am a fast paced city kind of girl, but I have my kids to consider now too...I need a happy medium I think. Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 121,900 times
Nick1, thanks for your post about NC. Good to hear you adjusted well to being there, and I will look up the website you posted! It is good to hear that most of the NJ/NY people you know there are not looking back! I am going to look into Charlotte a little more evn though I did initially dismiss it. I am trying to keep an open mind and there are a lot of amenities I could utilize in Charlotte. It's not off the list yet.

GJM, thanks for posting about the SC weather. I am freezing even indoors the minute it gets cold out (our heating bill is crazy)..I never seem to warm up, so it is something to consider! I don't think I could do the inland area but as I said, I will be exploring the coastal towns.

wanderlost, I hope you are able to find your way back soon if that is what will make you happy!

A little more on our situation:

The good thing about my dh's job is, he can go anywhere with it. It is a specialized thing in the medical field, so there will always be work at a good rate of pay wherever we go. Financially it would make much more sense for us to relocate as he wouldn't take much of a paycut if any even in a lower cost of living area, as he could bring his current job with him to most locations. It's both a good thing, and a bad thing as we can't narrow anything down based on where he could work...he could work anywhere! It would be helpful to him to be near a city as well (major medical centers would mean more business), but honestly, we could go anywhere that has hospitals, and well that's everywhere!

Thanks to everyone, and anyone I missed here who posted. I really, really appreciate all the advice....You know I think a lot of people from other states think people from NJ aren't nice, but I beg to differ. Posts like this prove that, look at how many people took the time out to write! You have all been so very helpful and I am glad I posted!

I really want to go about this the right way. I plan on narrowing it down to a few spots and visiting them as time allows. If we sell our house by summer (which hopefully we will) I may just rent something here for a little bit while we narrow it down. I don't want to jump into anything, but I surely do not want to be saddled with another house here! It has been a very rough year for us...let's just say real estate isn't always the best investment when you buy at the peak and it tumbles! It's been an awful experience and I am looking forward to a new start.

Thanks again everyone...this board is great and city-data is priceless as far as getting information on other areas. I think I will be sticking around here for awhile!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:39 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Imperieux,

Speaking of cuisine, since I noticed you lived in Charleston, have you ever been to Hyman Seafood on Meeting St? One my top seafood joints in the entire U.S. Not to mention one of the largest menus. Also, Jestine's right down the street for soul food.

Overall, Charleston ranks as one of my favorite restaurant cities in the U.S. It's right up there with NYC, no kidding.
I was completely impressed with the amount of fantastic restaurants in the Charleston area when I arrived here. I just didn't expect it for a city of only 100,000 people. From gourmet to down home southern cooking, you can find it all here except maybe NY pizza

I've lived here now for almost 2 years and still haven't dined at all the different restaurants here, probably because I keep frequenting my favorites. I'll be honest that I haven't tried Hyman's because I fell in love with The Wreck first and keep going back but I'll make it to Hyman's soon enough. I plan on trying every single restaurant here if I can!

As for Jestine's, I agree that's it's really wonderful and if you like southern soul food, try the Hominy Grill on Rutledge Ave for breakfast and you won't be disappointed.

Slightly North of Broad (or SNOB) on East Bay and Peninsula Grill on Market are my personal favorites so far, along with Magnolia's on East Bay for lunch. But I have many more yet to try.

Try them during your next visit to Charleston. Meanwhile, I'll have a review of Hyman's soon enough..

Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaSpellman View Post

[font=Arial]I am thinking very much about the cultural differences of the south vs. here, and I am not sure I can do the deep south, even if it is cheaper. I did get to stay in Columbia, SC for a few weeks, and it was pretty, but very much a culture shock. I do not think I could live there. I didn't get to see the other areas, like the SC coast much though, and I am hearing a lot of good things. I am thinking about everything from all angles and wouldn't pick somewhere just based on lower prices alone. I'm trying my best to find the right fit! It is encouraging to hear from those who have found theirs. I really am a fast paced city kind of girl, but I have my kids to consider now too...I need a happy medium I think. Best of luck to you and your family!
Thanks for your kind words, Sabrina. And I can't agree more that it needs to be the best "fit" for your family, above anything else. Even though I absolutely adore where I live now, I can't realistically say it's for everyone because it's very different than what many of us from the north are used to. Sometimes you want different, but can you live it 24/7 or is it better for a vacation instead? Only you can answer those questions.

On that note, I do want to add that Columbia and Charleston are very different cities and I'd hate for you to rule out Charleston because of your visit to Columbia, if you decide to ever take a look at the deep south again. I won't make this a post on the great things about Charleston, instead I'll just say that I describe it as a cross between Savannah GA and New Orleans, based on my experience in both. That's just my personal opinion though!

Good luck to you whatever you decide, even if you decide to stay in NJ. And why not visit other areas under the guise of research and have some fun while you're discovering that perfect fit for yourself and your family? If you decide to stay in NJ, you'll have had some really nice family vacations!

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
that's what i'm thinking, nick. i imagine that people who are feeling a little homesick would be the ones who are still on the NJ forum, and that's why so many have written that they're moving back, or they are not happy. now i know some of you will say "i'm not homesick, i'm on the NJ forum to 'keep up'" maybe so, but i still think if you were really into your new home and lifestyle, you wouldn't still be clinging to NJ.
Nah........I go visit NJ threads because I grew up there, and lived there a long time. Jersey gets in the blood........
I only, only, miss the shore, but then I am not far from it being in Pa.
I really love the open spaces of Pa, that is the main reason......I wouldn't crowd myself in back in NJ anymore. The traffic, and the homes being so close together, would really bother me now.
I love SC too.......for its weather. If I could drag all the kids here who have jobs and getting those retirement years in at them. I'd possiably move here.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 23,264 times
Quote:
that's what i'm thinking, nick. i imagine that people who are feeling a little homesick would be the ones who are still on the NJ forum, and that's why so many have written that they're moving back, or they are not happy. now i know some of you will say "i'm not homesick, i'm on the NJ forum to 'keep up'" maybe so, but i still think if you were really into your new home and lifestyle, you wouldn't still be clinging to NJ.

I am new to blogging completely, I think I got here by typing in charlotte real estate or moving to charlotte to see if i could provide some info and hook up with relocators. But its the truth for my part, if i was lamenting my move to NC I would go rigth back, but its good here, cant speak for other areas. Maybe partly because Huntersville and charlotte is such a fast growth area, mant, many new people from around the country, so there is sort an openess and newness about which can lend to some fun and interesting new meeting of new faces. No NJ homesick here!! Swear it!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
You know, I've heard this one too many times now and I'm going to finally say what's on my former Jersey-girl mind.

Perhaps it would be a thrill to hear otherwise but I'm not still clinging to NJ and I do actually love my new home and lifestyle. I still own land in South Jersey and just had a reassessment that really ticked me off so once I've read the SC boards I do sometimes come here and read up on the NJ real estate market and the problems with property taxes. I also still have family there and I have a concern for their wellbeing in "their" state and I AM keeping up with things a bit. Now this isn't the first time it's been questioned as to why a "defector" such as myself would be here on this board so would anyone else care for me to write all my reasons down and create a "sticky" so that I don't have to recite these all over again? I can also add the lot and block numbers of the land I own on the chance that I attract a buyer in addition to making my point.

Because to be perfectly honest, I'm getting tired of having to justify when and why I come to this board, and after the fifth time I became quite irritated by it.

So, for the record...I'm not homesick. I adore where I live now and my health has improved since. I'm not moving back to NJ because of all those reasons in addition to the fact that my husband is making MORE money in sales here than he was up north. And that's with the lower cost of living here. I never even post that fact because I don't feel it's right to throw my goodwill in other's faces but right now I feel like shouting it to the world. So, for one last time, we're happy here in the Charleston area where it's 70 degrees in the winter while you're all up there freezing your butts off and I'm not here on this board because I'm so damn miserable.

Don't like it that I post here sometimes? Don't read it. Put me on ignore. Because I'll be posting here until the day NJ decides to drop my property taxes and we all know it'll be a cold day in hell before that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey