Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:22 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times

Advertisements

I am considering having a natural gas line installed for my outdoor gas grill. My home is already connected to natural gas (PSE&G). Has anyone ever had this type of line installed? How does it work? Does PSE&G do the work or is there some other company you have to call? Is it an easy install or do they have to dig up your yard? What is the cost? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:32 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I am considering having a natural gas line installed for my outdoor gas grill. My home is already connected to natural gas (PSE&G). Has anyone ever had this type of line installed? How does it work? Does PSE&G do the work or is there some other company you have to call? Is it an easy install or do they have to dig up your yard? What is the cost? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or not.
I don't know if this link will help..But it on my Gas Provider's site. Maybe you should lookup your gas provider's site to find out the "Rules of the Road" ..

This link has some helpful tips too..

https://www.enbridgegas.com/homes/ma...barbecues.aspx

snip~

The Convenience of Natural Gas Barbecues
Natural gas barbecues make year-round grilling a breeze. No more heavy tanks to lug back and forth and no worries about running out of fuel.

Buying tips
Choose a barbecue with at least 400 square inches of grilling space if you like to grill multiple foods for a crowd
Get one with a built-in thermometer which tells you when your meat is cooked perfectly
A fat drainage system will help you reduce flare-ups
Warming racks, side-burners and food prep areas are great add-ons that make grilling an entire meal easy and convenient
Two-burner systems have better heat control and work well for indirect cooking

Professional installation
Always use a licenced heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) contractor to install your natural gas barbecue for you.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Unless you are going to put in some sort of outdoor kitchen, Real High end stuff, the Payback will be LONG, I would stick with propane.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
not necessarily a money saver, but hugely convenient never having to lug propane tanks again! Can't give you costs since I'm in a different part of the country but I highly recommend doing this.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:39 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Along those same lines, someone ran a gas line into my backyard and then turned off the valve and cut off the copper tube where it comes out of the ground.

Would it be worth it to look into figuring out how to connect something to it again? This time with, maybe, a threaded connector? How much labor goes into putting one in in the first place?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,588 times
i just bought a home and the previous owners had this done already. i bought a real nice Weber NG grill and its super easy. there is a valve on the line i open or close and then turn my grill on. how much it cost though i have no idea. beats propane though for convenience.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:23 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
not necessarily a money saver, but hugely convenient never having to lug propane tanks again! Can't give you costs since I'm in a different part of the country but I highly recommend doing this.
Yes, that's why I want to do this. We use our grill year round and many times per week, so I am constantly exchanging propane tanks which becomes quite a hassle. But if the cost becomes excessive or if they have to dig up half my yard to put in the line, then I won't consider it.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 PM

220 posts, read 379,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I had this done last year for a Weber NG grill and it was probably the best decision I made regarding our backyard.

You don't need PSE&G to do the work, just a licensed plumber who has experience. I used WaterWorks and was very happy w/ the work that was done. They tapped into the gas line from the basement ceiling and ran the piping to my backyard deck. There are 2 shut off valves - one on my deck and one in the basement (the 2nd is just for added safety).

The cost depends on how far they need to run the line and the difficulty of the job. It cost me around $750, and I have absolutely no regrets (I grill about 1-2x a wk, even during winter). The amount I save on propane tanks ($20-30 per refill) and the wear on our nice oven in the kitchen (plus not having messy oil splatters and smoke/smell indoors, etc), makes it more than worthwhile.

Being able to rotisserie (which takes hrs to cook), burn off residue at very high heat, and grill for large parties without having to worry about running out of fuel is a huge benefit. It's hard to say if you'll get your investment back as there are so many other factors that go into buying a home, but I think having that gas line out back will definitely be a big plus and differentiator that not many other homes will have.

On a side note, I have the Weber S-470 NG, but if I had to do it again I'd probably just go with the S-420 or S-330.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,118 times
You say you want to run a NG line to your grill.

You understand you cannnot just run a propane grill using natural gas.

You must install a NG conversion kit into your propane grill or buy a new grill designed for natural gas.

You will most likely need a permit from your town.
After that, anyone can run the line but you should use a licensed professional for the connection.

Cost and trouble is dependant on how far your grill is from a Nat Gas source in your house.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 PM

220 posts, read 379,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
You say you want to run a NG line to your grill.

You understand you cannnot just run a propane grill using natural gas.

You must install a NG conversion kit into your propane grill or buy a new grill designed for natural gas.

You will most likely need a permit from your town.
After that, anyone can run the line but you should use a licensed professional for the connection.

Cost and trouble is dependant on how far your grill is from a Nat Gas source in your house.
Not sure about the permit, but 100% agree you should get a licensed pro (who should advise on whether you need a permit or not) and a dedicated NG grill, I wouldn't go the conversion route. It's difficult and expensive to do, and not sure if the grill would still be covered under warranty. Maybe if you already have a large, pricey grill that's out of warranty might a conversion to NG be an option...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey