Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times

Advertisements

I'm 42 and my mother left me in the car numerous times growing up. Sometimes more then 15 min. I was probably at least 5. It's odd to think about now because as a grandma she won't have my daughter out of her sight. Overly protective. But I guess she just adjusted to cultural norms each time. I've left my kid in the car running into gas stations and places I could see from the Windows. No more then 5 min. But it's something I have to analyze before doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
My mom used to leave me in the car for a few minutes while she ran inside a place when I was a kid, maybe starting around age 5. I lived. It was when I was old enough to know how to and be able to understand locking and unlocking doors, and she would usually leave the car running and tell me to lock the doors and unlock them when she got back. I survived, and my mom's not a terrible mother. I told her that she used to do this recently, given the controversy with leaving kids in cars, and she doesn't recall ever doing this for some reason, but she did, for little stops here and there that literally took maybe 5-10 minutes. She probably doesn't recall because it was such an insignificant thing to do.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times
Look, we all had parents who did things differently. Cars used to not have seatbelts for that matter and football players used to wear leather helmets and link arms as they ran down the field literally stepping on the other team.

As additional safety techniques are developed things are going to change. Taking your kids or your pets out of the car is one of them.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:55 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
That's exactly right: it's a much different world from when a lot of us grew up. Children were left in cars regularly, with the windows down on warm days. There weren't as many crazy people around. I walked and biked to school until I was old enough to drive myself to high school.

Today, children can be stolen by all manner of mentally ill dweebs. In some areas, it pays to never take your eyes off babies and toddlers. They can disappear in an instant.

And before I get slammed: that's not true in all areas! But there are certainly places where it pays to have eyes in the back of your head if you're a parent.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:59 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
That's exactly right: it's a much different world from when a lot of us grew up. Children were left in cars regularly, with the windows down on warm days. There weren't as many crazy people around. I walked and biked to school until I was old enough to drive myself to high school.

Today, children can be stolen by all manner of mentally ill dweebs. In some areas, it pays to never take your eyes off babies and toddlers. They can disappear in an instant.

And before I get slammed: that's not true in all areas! But there are certainly places where it pays to have eyes in the back of your head if you're a parent.
But yet the statistics show otherwise. I think that it is just more apparent in the news vs in the old days when you didn't hear about it.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:11 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
Is It Okay To Leave Your Kid*Alone In A Car*If You're*Not An Idiot?

so last summer there were plenty of cases of neglect where the father intentionally killed his kid in a car, mother goes to work while kids in car, gambles, drinks etc while kids are the car.

the article linked above take the view of what if the adult is not an A-hole and just a rational adult of sound mind parent.

there have been a few times now in the 13 months i've been a father that i have wanted to leave my (usually sleeping) child in the car for 5-10 minutes while i run into a post office, bank, dunkin doughnuts, etc. All these times the weather was below 70 and the car could be left running or not and i would have allowed my child to rest and gotten my task done faster than taking the car seat out and the stroller and diaper bag, etc.

I was confident that my child would be in no harm during the time but the only thing that prevents me from doing that is the overly cautious, i want to be in everyones business, stranger wannabe hero that may pass by for those few minutes and assume a monster is trying to kill their kid.

the **** storm of problems that i have read about when cops and CPS get involved for honest well intentioned parents caught in a ridiculous legal battle because of a stranger have kept me afraid of doing this.

i love my kid and would never put her in harms way but sometimes one can use a break and if everyone (parent and child) is better off in the 5-10 minute safe scenario it would be nice to know i have that option without fear of legal battles.

i'd like to see everyone else views on this. state if you are a parent or not for perspective.
I am a parent and I NEVER, not ever, leave my grandkids alone in the car, and they are now 3 & 6. I also never left my kids alone in the car. There are so many things that can happen, resulting in the death of my child or grandchild that I would never get over it if something happened. If you want to live your life that way, putting your kids in danger, you go right ahead, but rest assured, if I see you leave your kids in the car, I will be that crazy heifer that bashes your windows in & calls the cops.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
BTW I'm in my early 20s.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:31 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,871,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
But yet the statistics show otherwise. I think that it is just more apparent in the news vs in the old days when you didn't hear about it.
This, right here.
Crime Statistics | Free Range Kids

Let's not have this thread get derailed by kidnapping fears, but nearly all kidnappings are still done by someone the family already knows, not some stranger.

"Despite these huge numbers, very few children are victims of the kinds of crimes that so-often lead local and national news reports. According to NCMEC, just 115 children are the victims of what most people think of as "stereotypical" kidnapping, which the center characterizes thusly: "These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently."

Of these 115 incidents, 57 percent ended with the return of the child. The other 43 percent had a less happy outcome." CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog

Old 05-12-2015, 05:45 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
O/P it's a different world now a days. I grew up during the time people left their strollers outside a store with sleeping baby in it as they ran an errand, in the city my mom did this with me and siblings many a time

Problem today is so many absent minded parents who forget the child is in the car you risk a broken window or worse if a passerby sees it as they don't know how long child has been there.

Most people from my generation have left child in car for quick errand. Now my adult children would never do it with their children and I understand why.
it's funny when people say this because the world is different in that it's SUBSTANTIALLY SAFER today than the time when people left their strollers outside a store as they ran an errand.

Honestly, the reason to not leave your kid in the car has nothing to do with child abduction (which is extremely rare and usually done by someone you know), it's because the child could have health problems while you're gone and cannot help themselves.

it's not likely to be a problem, but it's one of those extremely easily avoidable risks.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

actually, there were plenty of crazy people around - people just weren't aware of it then. no 24 hour news cycle. no sex offender registry. etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: