Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM

155 posts, read 304,448 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why people are in favor of pumping their own gas. It's not going to save you money and it's probably not going to save you much time. The gas station that I usually go to is pretty quick and I go at night when there isn't a line. Can't we just have 1 nice thing left in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM

155 posts, read 304,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
I for one, would love to be able to pump my own gas and not try to communicate with an attendant in some foreign language....
Really??? I'm pretty sure "fill it up regular" is a pretty easily understood phrase.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:35 AM

228 posts, read 1,206,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
Really??? I'm pretty sure "fill it up regular" is a pretty easily understood phrase.

How about, "Hey bud, the tank isn't full, the pump shut off too soon." or, "Can you please not overfill my tank?" or "Please don't hit my car with the nozzle." or "Please don't put the gas cap on the trunk of my car"

Old 05-19-2015, 11:39 AM

493 posts, read 386,314 times
Gas workers' must be happy collecting unemployment benefits from New Jersey tax payers'... 3000+ of them

Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
I never understand why the people arguing for self serve always try to frame it as if the other side is not "capable" or has a hard time pumping for ourselves. It has nothing to do with that. Most of us have pumped our own gas many times in other states. Yes, it is easy and anybody can do it. Anybody can clean their own toilets too, but if you can have someone else do it for free, why would you want to give that up?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
ROFL pumping gas is one of the easiest things to do ever. You swipe your card, put the nozzle in the tank and push what grade you want. This is hilarious! Hang on, my wife is from Joisy, she'll get a kick out of this thread. Who still pays with cash? I haven't had cash in my wallet for over 15 years.
ROFL paying almost $4.00 a gallon to pump your own while those people in NJ get to check their e-mails while somebody else pumps in the $2.50 a gallon gas.

You're too funny.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I never understand why the people arguing for self serve always try to frame it as if the other side is not "capable" or has a hard time pumping for ourselves. It has nothing to do with that. ...
Because a good number of people keep throwing out the question of what their elderly, handicapped grandmother is going to do when she needs gas if there are no attendants. How are the elderly and infirm surviving in the other 48 states?

In my opinion supply and demand should determine whether self serve survives in NJ. At least make it an option, and if people really want someone else to pump their gas the way they say they do, stations will move to fill that void.

I don't know why this has to be a one or the other debate.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:05 PM

18,481 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedfx View Post
Because a good number of people keep throwing out the question of what their elderly, handicapped grandmother is going to do when she needs gas if there are no attendants. How are the elderly and infirm surviving in the other 48 states?

In my opinion supply and demand should determine whether self serve survives in NJ. At least make it an option, and if people really want someone else to pump their gas the way they say they do, stations will move to fill that void.

I don't know why this has to be a one or the other debate.
Because then I will have to pay extra for something I am already getting now for free. Nobody really believes the price will go down for self serve. The price will stay the same, but it will go up for full serve.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Because then I will have to pay extra for something I am already getting now for free. Nobody really believes the price will go down for self serve. The price will stay the same, but it will go up for full serve.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on that point. The margins that station owners make on gas are already so low, I have a feeling they will try to keep them as low as possible to *drive* as much business as possible their way. There will always be that one station that can keep prices the way they are that will force everyone to do the same. I still can't believe people who drive across town to save 3 cents a gallon. I'm going to have to pick my neighbor's brain, he runs a gas station, I wonder what his course of action will/would be in response.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
ROFL paying almost $4.00 a gallon to pump your own while those people in NJ get to check their e-mails while somebody else pumps in the $2.50 a gallon gas.

You're too funny.
Right there with you ROFL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey