Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM

11 posts, read 30,773 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My family and I are considering moving to Cranbury and I wanted to know what the realistic daily commute to NYC would be. I'm assuming the Princeton Junction Station is the most viable option since it has express trains that make it to the city in about 53 mins or so. I just wanted to know what the parking situation was like and how long does it take to get to the train station from Cranbury on average. I'm hearing anywhere from 15-20 mins but I have no clue what the traffic conditions are like during rush hours. I would be catching the train between 6-630 but in the morning and evening.

Any additional information or other factors that i may not have considered would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 03:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
15-20 minutes is about right for the drive from Cranbury to Princeton Jct. There is a 4 year waiting list for a permit at the station for non-WW residents.

West Windsor Parking Authority - Permit Info

Old 05-21-2015, 03:40 PM

thanks for confirming the info, but what are the parking options for non-WW residents? Is there a lot nearby that i could pay a daily rate? Also, one concern of ours is how our kids will assimilate going from cranbury schools to princeton high schools. I know their class would be moving over at the same time and will have established friends but wondering if anyone has had any experience with this transition.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
All that parking info is addressed in the web site. You can also look into the ride share permits.

Cranbury sends about 240 8th graders to Princeton HS every year.
This send/receive agreement ends in 2019. This article is an interesting read-

At ‘Overcrowded’ Princeton High School, 1 in 6 students is from Cranbury | walkableprinceton

If Princeton decides to end the send/receive relationship w/ Cranbury in 2019 it will be interesting to see where the Cranbury kids end up. Before Princeton the Cranbury kids went to Hightstown HS.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 AM

Thank you for all the info

Old 06-18-2015, 06:38 AM

Just one more follow up question...Does anyone commute from the 8A Park and ride? Can someone describe what the commute is like from there?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 AM

14 posts, read 24,057 times
Regarding Princeton Junction Parking, I had the same questions before moving there last month. Parking is usually available at the Wallace Rd commuter lot before 6:30 am. There's also new parking lot for Princeton Junction (entrance on Vaughan Dr), where parking is available after 6:30 am for $5/ day. The Vaughan Rd lot doesnt usually fill up, though it is ~ a 5-7 min walk to the platform since the parking is well past the end of the platform

Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM

how long is the drive in the morning from Cranbury to Prin Jnct?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM

Also - how come you opted for the train vs the park and ride at exit 8A?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,802 times
We just moved to Cranbury recently, and my husband has been commuting via train. It's a 9 min drive to the train station for him (he takes the 1st express in the AM at 5:20am), and he has his choice of daily parking ($5) in the Wallace lot ideally located at the bottom of the platform steps. They just switched their parking system, so he's able to prepay for a week's parking at a time which saves a few minutes in the AM. He usually takes a train home that gets him in around 6pm, and it takes about 11 min for him to drive home with the expected additional traffic at the more traditional "rush hour" time. He hasn't bothered signing up for the Vaughn lot waitlist, since to him it's worth the couple extra dollars/day to have such fast access to the train. As I mentioned, we've only recently moved here, but so far we're happy with our choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey