Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM

20 posts, read 34,758 times

Advertisements

If I could change my name to NewToNJ I would.

I'm looking for advice on finding a location. I will be starting a new job in Princeton NJ in about three weeks, in the College Rd. East area.

I am hoping to do this without a car, and take public transit. Princeton itself I think is a bit above what I'm looking to spend. I'm considering New Brunswick, as it is a short train ride to Princeton, and the 600 bus goes from Princeton Junction to College Rd. East for work.

I'm wondering about the neighborhoods near the rail line in New Brunswick. I am also open to any other suggestions besides New Brunswick. Basically I am hoping to find something near the commuter rail line so my commute would be Train > Bus or taxi/Uber. I would prefer to avoid Bus > Train > Bus.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

I'll fill out the requested points below:

Where are you coming from? Cincinnati
Why are you moving? New Job
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Princeton, College Rd. East

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Ideally under $1,000/month
What kind of place are you looking for ? Studio/1 bedroom

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? No need / No children

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in. Convenient to public transportation, close to common things like grocery, post office, restaurants etc.
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. Proximity to public transit, urban and close to daily activities (shopping, restaurants, etc.), relative safety (don't mind a certain level of "gritty", but would avoid excessively dangerous areas)
(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Last edited by newtocincinnati; 07-04-2015 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Adjusting priority of important factors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 03:18 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
I hate to be the voice of gloom and doom, but expecting an apartment in a "safe, family-oriented neighborhood" that is also close to grocery stores and the RR station is not realistic--even in New Brunswick.

In Central NJ, paying less than $1k per month for an apartment usually means sharing with a roommate, and the neighborhood may still not be exactly what you are hoping for. Are you open to the idea of sharing with a roommate?

Old 07-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Thank you for the response.

Yes I am open to sharing with a roommate. I would prefer not to though.

Regarding safety, I guess that is relative. I'm a single male, so it doesn't have to be completely crime free. Just needs to be so that I wouldn't be dodging drug deals and gangs whenever I leave home.

I'm also open to a longer commute on the train. Is there anything a bit further away from Princeton that you think might work?

I've edited my original post to adjust the priority of important factors. Convenience is more important than safety in general. But would avoid excessively dangerous areas.

Last edited by newtocincinnati; 07-04-2015 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 03:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
Living in Central Jersey without a car will be challenging. Try looking at apartments to share in Plainsboro. The 600 bus stops near some of the big rental developments in Plainsboro.

Believe me, you really don't want to take a NJ Transit train and then have to wait for the 600 bus also. The times for the train & bus arriving at Princeton Junction station usually don't coincide, so you could end up waiting easily a half hour or more for a bus.

I think you could get a shared apartment for close to $1,000 plus utilities on top of that.

Also, make sure you know exactly how far a walk it is from the bus stop to your workplace & make sure that you don't end up on the opposite side of Route One from your destination !

Old 07-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Thanks.

A shared apartment in Plainsboro is an option.

The 600 stop is pretty much right across the street from work, so that should work fine.

Regarding the commute. My work also involves plenty of reading and studying, so spending some time waiting or commuting could actually turn into productive time in that respect.

In the end, I might have to nix the idea of commuting without a car, but would like to give it a shot if it's possible.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:13 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I would say Plainsboro would be perfect, or South Brunswick. The only catch is the car though- because I really don't know how often the 600 bus runs. I mean I know it's a commuter thing and it would run rush hour to the train stations, but I don't know what would be if you miss one.
College Rd East.. well I guess New Brunswick could work but it's really the train to the bus to the job which might be the issue.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:46 PM

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think this thread might be a bit broadly focused. I'm going to start a new thread with a very pointed question, to hopefully get some additional ideas.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:08 PM

44 posts, read 63,673 times
buy a car.. seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey