Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

if I close on a home as a buyer and the seller chooses the title company, can I be sure that I get a clean title. I have read stories in the newspaper about realtors, lawyers, title companies who are in it and vanish after closing and leave a destructing behind. This happened in florida. I have a contract for a short sale on a home owned by a real estate lawyer and she is going to pick the title company after the lender approves the short sale. So far she is trying to get a deal with the investors from the lender (Countrywide) for a judgment.
I need some help here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,913 times
That is what title insurance is for. I am pretty sure, that in NJ it is mandatory you have it for the buyer and seller. Here is Georgia, I had to opt for it, otherwise you are not protected.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:02 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I'm in Florida and I don't know if it's mandatory but you always get it so it might be mandatory. But i've read about title companies who are in it with realtors and lawyers to scam people.
I was actualy shocked to do find out when i signed the contract that the seller is a real estate lawyer.... having a short sale?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
if I close on a home as a buyer and the seller chooses the title company, can I be sure that I get a clean title. I have read stories in the newspaper about realtors, lawyers, title companies who are in it and vanish after closing and leave a destructing behind. This happened in florida. I have a contract for a short sale on a home owned by a real estate lawyer and she is going to pick the title company after the lender approves the short sale. So far she is trying to get a deal with the investors from the lender (Countrywide) for a judgment.
I need some help here?
In NJ the Seller almost NEVER chooses the title company. The buyer is having the titel search done, and paying for the title insurance, so they (or more likely their attorney) choose the title company. I assume you have a Real estate attorney working with you on this deal. Ask your attorney.

P.S. If you do not have a Real estate attorney working with you, I recommend getting one. In addition, if you need a recommendation for a title company, let me know, I can give you several. Title is state regulated in NJ, so the cost will be the same whichever company you use.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 01-24-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Added a P.S.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:07 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
In NJ the Seller almost NEVER chooses the title company. The buyer is having the titel search done, and paying for the title insurance, so they (or more likely their attorney) choose the title company. I assume you have a Real estate attorney working with you on this deal. Ask your attorney.

P.S. If you do not have a Real estate attorney working with you, I recommend getting one. In addition, if you need a recommendation for a title company, let me know, I can give you several. Title is state regulated in NJ, so the cost will be the same whichever company you use.
+1 you defiitly NEED to have your own attorney and he/she should be the one to initiate the title search. Using the same realestate agent as sellers/buyers agent isnt too much of an issue but attorneys should never be shared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey