Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimebell View Post
But isn't it manadory to have 2 year accounting experience before they allow you to sit for the exam?
Accounting is when you settle for less, accounting is when you give up on your dreams, accounting is when your to dumb to find employment in any other profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Accountants are interesting people. When I was trying to conduct business with em, they harassed me and misrepresented the jobs to get me into positions I clearly stated I was not interested in.

After I issued a refusal to conduct business, they still misrepresented the jobs, only the jobs did not get done.

During my last job search I had to blacklist an agency. They sent me to a job interview where during the 3rd round interviews I found out that the job is database support to an accounting department. This is the last job I would want and I have told that agency on 3 different occasions and in writing that I am not interested in dealing with accountants.

I mean Information Technology industry, everything is professional until accountants show up.

I know I am close to 40 and cursing off people is not a good way to do business, but I have a masters degree in accounting and 3 years of accounting experience with (2 cpa firms the first year) and the 3rd year when jobs are misrepresented as I am looking for any job that do not involve accounting. Now with all my accounting eduction and experience I have to say I have not found a better way to communicate to accountants then to simply curse them off from the get go. When you say "I am not interested in accounting" they come back to you by saying "this is finance".

Life is a wonderful thing. What really helps one enjoy their life is the lack of accountants in it.

As far as accounting recruiters harassing me, before I started my last job search I was thinking of getting a pepper spay. So that if an accountant tricks me into interviewing with them, and hence wastes my time. I kinda forgot to get it. But next time I hit the job market, I will have pepper spray in my business suit pocket. This way when the interviewer informs me "this is fiance" I am going to spray them for harassing me. yes, They no longer identify themselves as accountants, they say they are finance. Accountant is already a 4 letter word in these parts.

I am sorry if some-one feels that I have hijacked this thread, but this is my first hand experience with accountants, and I really do need to describe what accounting is like for a reasonable person to understand, or at least for the OP to get it.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:28 PM

In the old days, accounting.com had a forum similar to this one, only accounting industry specific. So Big 4 Srs, those guys had their CPAs. Well, every day some-one would post a question "What are my exit opportunities?"

Old 08-08-2015, 03:54 PM

I was at my high-school reunion party. This is just a bunch childhood friends that went to different high-school got together in a bar and got drunk.

3 people asked a question "Can you recommend a CPA that can figure out my taxes ?"

I asked this question, I do my own taxes, but only because I can't find any referrals (I have a business and managing my retirement and insurance options, also taxes). I mean I do my best doing it myself, but having a conversation with a professional from time to time would not hurt. And I have asked for referrals every-one I know.

Another guy. Whose wife is a CPA. Who is a millionaire. Who does not know if his taxes got done in the last 3 years. Who keeps paying a CPA. He is not sure if she is still a CPA, or alive.

Another guy who has a financial (brokerage/loans business).

Well, again. Sorry if some-one feels that I have hijacked the thread. I am simply painting a picture of what accounting is practically like.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Well, again. Sorry if some-one feels that I have hijacked the thread. I am simply painting a picture of what accounting is practically like.
You replied to yourself 5 times. That's thread hijacking. If you want to say something, do it all in one post so that the conversation can continue. As it stands, this thread is basically dead and the only clear takeaway is that DPolo doesn't understand how message boards work.

We clearly all disagree with your opinion on CPAs, but that's fine- this is a community of opinions, and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But don't clog the thread with so many replies to yourself without allowing others to discuss.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:01 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,407 times
OP, you can look up industry data for salary expectations pretty easily and here is one of the data set you can use to form your own judgement. Make sure you invest the time to understand data properly as well. For example, robert half data isn't localized nor does it clearly state if job is CPA required or not.

Once again though, this is an example of real data you can search by googling around yourself which will be far more reliable and pragmatic than what certain folks on this thread are saying.

http://www.roberthalf.com/sites/defa..._Half_2015.pdf

Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,289,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I don't want to get into a back and forth and have no interest in getting into this with you -- however, no, that is not what you were simply doing. You were doing and saying far more than that. You were speaking to and commenting on aspects well beyond the accounting industry, and your posts were not only threadjacking but in my opinion offensive.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
OP, you can look up industry data for salary expectations pretty easily and here is one of the data set you can use to form your own judgement. Make sure you invest the time to understand data properly as well. For example, robert half data isn't localized nor does it clearly state if job is CPA required or not.

Once again though, this is an example of real data you can search by googling around yourself which will be far more reliable and pragmatic than what certain folks on this thread are saying.

http://www.roberthalf.com/sites/defa..._Half_2015.pdf
robert half is known in the industry as Robert-halph a job !

But in accounting they harass you and waste your time with low paying data entry jobs. They are petty horrible to conduct business with in any industry.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
I don't want to get into a back and forth and have no interest in getting into this with you -- however, no, that is not what you were simply doing. You were doing and saying far more than that. You were speaking to and commenting on aspects well beyond the accounting industry, and your posts were not only threadjacking but in my opinion offensive.

1. I have a masters degree in accounting that is CPA qualifying.
2. I have accounting experience, which I find offensive.
3. I intend to us Pepper Spray as the means of defending myself from endless harassment by CPA's.

You credit debit vermin have wasted my time and keep insist on wasting my time. I have no respect for you or your license.

I know you accountants are on the slow side, but I am repeating myself again to spell thing out for you.

so let repeat again:
My idea of conducting business with NJ licensed CPA is to pepper spray the dirt bag before it opens it's mouth or tries to waste any more of MY TIME !

I speak from personal experience and experience of my friends, acquaintances. Also I provided links to statistics that to prove my position.

now, I am offended that you, good for nothing paper pusher have wasted my time !

Old 08-12-2015, 04:42 PM

10,442 posts, read 6,969,439 times
DPOLO if you're not from nj or an accountant you have no reason to be here.

OP don't waste your time learning quickbooks or anything else, that would have been nice to learn if this was 2003. Most places use SAP or other tools which require training on the job.

I'd say you have two options. Option 1, is if you want to make accounting a career send your resume to a big 4 firms. These companies higher people who want to be professionals, and who are motivated. Starting salary will be in 50k's but expect to work 60-80 weeks during busy and be stressed. However, the pay will increase and after 2 years you will be very marketable to many companies.

Option 2, is if you're seeking something more flexible and low stress, a temp agency or a place like roberhalf might be the choice. The work is generally accounts payable/receivable, also lower pay but it's a job and for those who just want a job not a career.

I wouldn't worry about your CPA, it's a plus but not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey