Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 09:43 AM

376 posts, read 599,026 times

Advertisements

This is more of a Bergen County vs Nassau County question. I'm currently in Westchester but it's too expensive to buy a home here especially in an area with good school. Plus I work in downtown, Westchester is not the most convenient.

Looks like Bergen and Nassau (near the towns I mentioned in title) will both be good choices, slightly cheaper than Westchester. What are the pros and cons of either area? It looks like commute will be slightly shorter from LI, plus taxes will be lower, but I'm afraid LI will be too boring. It will be hard getting to any place from LI. Please share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 12:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
I think it depends where you are from.

I know people from NJ and people from Long Island, and neither really venture into the other, because they are mirror images of each other, even if somewhat Bizzarro images.

If you are not from either, I would pick NJ, but obviously I am from NJ.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think it depends where you are from.

I know people from NJ and people from Long Island, and neither really venture into the other, because they are mirror images of each other, even if somewhat Bizzarro images.

If you are not from either, I would pick NJ, but obviously I am from NJ.
I'm not from either, but my folks are mostly in Queens and the Bronx. I have been living in Westchester for the past 5 years.

I was thinking about going from NJ to LI, or from LI to NJ. I will be commuting to Downtown NYC daily. On the weekends I'd like to take short trips. Since LI is on an island east of NYC, seems like it will take a lot longer to get anywhere from LI than NJ. However it seems daily commute is tougher from NJ than LI. LIRR seems to be better than NJ transit.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
I'm not from either, but my folks are mostly in Queens and the Bronx. I have been living in Westchester for the past 5 years.

I was thinking about going from NJ to LI, or from LI to NJ. I will be commuting to Downtown NYC daily. On the weekends I'd like to take short trips. Since LI is on an island east of NYC, seems like it will take a lot longer to get anywhere from LI than NJ. However it seems daily commute is tougher from NJ than LI. LIRR seems to be better than NJ transit.
Where in those places?

New Jersey is easier to the Bronx for the most part. Long Island is way easier to most of Queens, and for the most part, Long Island is easier to Brooklyn too.

The advantage of living in NJ is that it is more spread out. Long Island to me seems like one big suburb with one big road through it that has continuous traffic. Plus, NJ is a little more diverse. Long Island seems very homogenous. Just my opinion.

NJ is easier to downtown Manhattan.

For people who like to trip, NJ all the way. Getting out of Long Island during the weekends or holidays is a nightmare.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:09 PM

21 posts, read 52,824 times
I grew up in Ridgewood and loved it. While it's a bit of a hike from the shore in the summer and the NYC commute isn't as easy as it should be, I highly recommend it.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:36 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
I would add that given Global Warming and rise of the Ocean waters, I feel safer living on the "main land". Long Island was hit pretty hard by Sandy and I am afraid it is only going to get worse. Bergen county suffered from power outages but there was little water damage. Obviously you don't want to live in the low lying areas of the county near Passaic river ...

In terms of traffic, both areas are pretty horrible and congested. Public transportation sucks in both places but I would say it is a little worse on Long Island. I hear about LIRR delays more often than I hear about NJT delays. Could be wrong about that I guess since I don't live there.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmc View Post
I grew up in Ridgewood and loved it. While it's a bit of a hike from the shore in the summer and the NYC commute isn't as easy as it should be, I highly recommend it.
I am decide between NJ and LI. In NJ I'm mainly interested in two areas: Ridgewood and Millburn. Looks like Millburn may be better for commute though, it has train running direct to Penn and Hoboken. I won't need the Penn train given I work in Downtown, but would be nice to have easy commute to Midtown as well. Do you know anything about the parking situation in these towns at the train? How about daycare/after school programs? My wife and I will both be working in the city.

I don't really care for the shore. For beach lover LI would win quite easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey