Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never heard of that before, Kracer. Thanks for that...I think. I do know they can injure with a good kick but not about the unprovoked buck attacks. Scary.

I remember that guy up in West Milford a few years ago. Came home after picking up a sub and got out of his car with the sandwich in his hand and walked around to his hatch on the SUV to get something and BAM, he was down in his driveway. Didn't know what hit him until he saw the bear walking away...with his sub sandwich. He had a couple of broken ribs, but he could have been killed.
MQ, here is a quick sampling of deer attacking humans....NJ is a dynamite keg about to explode with all the bad information about NJ bears being kind and gentle. So many stories of backyard bears and hand feeding, esp in Warren county. These critters deserve respect and are very intelligent wild animals. Their nature is to avoid conflict, however, as an individual gains confidence he knows he can intimdate or get intimate with humans regarding being in close quarters. You never know what will set off a wild animal or even a domestic pet. 'Legends of the fall' quote will be on gravestones of the careless.....'and it was a fine death' refering to the main character being woofed by a griz.

Deer Attack Kills Pennsylvania Woman - AOL On

Woman ‘in shock’ after deer attacks her outside home | fox8.com

Pet Deer Kills Owner - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

Pa. woman, 30, killed by deer kept on family land

Deer attacks Ashland couple, dogs

https://naturalunseenhazards.wordpre...ck-a-woman-ea/

Deer attacks couple before trooper wrestles it away | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NJ anti bear hunt folks are acting in the best tradition of timothy treadwell, the late grizzly bear expert.....

Grizzly mauls, kills a bear 'expert' - seattlepi.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 07:14 AM

279 posts, read 356,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
We are so over populated that I am not sure we need to kill bears. So what if bears kill a hiker or two. We should respect bears ! Bears are awesome.

Sounds like you need to go hiking in NJ...Perhaps you'll be the lucky one ( or two).

Old 10-18-2015, 12:21 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I appreciate all the thoughtful comments like the one by NJmmadude. I am a vegan and consider myself an animal-rights supporter. But we have created a bad situation here in NJ, mainly by allowing the bear population to grow too large. It's not like NJ was empty and people moved in and started complaining about bears, as sometimes happens in rural areas of the country. NJ has long been highly-populated with a relatively sparse bear population. Now we have even more population but lots more bears. I don't want to see a toddler or anyone else get killed by a bear (again). I am willing to listen to and consider reasonable solutions to this problem. No sense putting our heads in the sand.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:43 PM

323 posts, read 575,538 times
we have a human density problem in new jersey ,not a bear density problem

Old 10-20-2015, 09:53 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,705 times
I live in the bear country and me and my children encounter them at least once a week in the 10 years that I lived here. They are not a problem to us. We love watching them. I pro-hunting if it's not for trophies or sport. Bear is no ones favorite meat. Don't see people walking around in bear fur either. So I am against bear hunts, but I do realize they are overpopulating now. Many accidents in my area are caused by bears, that is the biggest issue. They don't attack people here and don't cause any noticeable property damage.

I do take issue with people going out into the woods thinking it's no different than walking around Manhattan, provoking animals natural instincts and then having the animal pay the price. All of this can be avoided by reading a tiny brochure that EVERY state park in north jersey places in the most visible place near the parking lot.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I rather see bears than pitbulls. Way too many owners walking their pitbulls without a muzzle and they look like they are gonna slip out of their owner's leash.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
we have a human density problem in new jersey ,not a bear density problem
So should there be a hunting season on humans? Force people to live in Newark in 100 story apartment buildings?

Old 10-20-2015, 05:39 PM

323 posts, read 575,538 times
yes we should we can start with the 2 legged animals that roam the streets in every town in nj

Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
So should there be a hunting season on humans? Force people to live in Newark in 100 story apartment buildings?
There is a bag limit on people in newark and the surrounding area...2 plus a week bag limit... up from the traditional one a month.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
I live in the bear country and me and my children encounter them at least once a week in the 10 years that I lived here. They are not a problem to us. We love watching them. I pro-hunting if it's not for trophies or sport. Bear is no ones favorite meat. Don't see people walking around in bear fur either. So I am against bear hunts, but I do realize they are overpopulating now. Many accidents in my area are caused by bears, that is the biggest issue. They don't attack people here and don't cause any noticeable property damage.

I do take issue with people going out into the woods thinking it's no different than walking around Manhattan, provoking animals natural instincts and then having the animal pay the price. All of this can be avoided by reading a tiny brochure that EVERY state park in north jersey places in the most visible place near the parking lot.
Your children have been lucky so far.

NJ bear country, especially warren co, is a disaster waiting to happen. And when resident's complacency causes a problem, they are fully responsible for the execution of their pet bear by the state. The false myths about bears by anti hunter organizations can and will have deadly consequences.

As I undersatnd one prominent anti hunter was fined for feeding bears and the trial is still pending. No idea where that case now stands.

Ever hear of timothy treadwell?

Large animal business is full of stories where people feel they have a special bond with an elephant, lion or bear or whatever and end up getting woofed.

NJ bear hunters are taking part in the scientifically detremined bear management program. Aside from deer, bear are the most studied large animals in north america. There is enough accumulated evidence hunting is the most effective tool in managing these critters.

Hunters do eat bear meat. They also eat muskrat, raccoon and oppossum. It is unlawful to waste the meat. To kill a bear legally in NJ is a hunter's memory of a lifetime, in essence a trophy. It is a very rare bird that 'trophy hunts' in the distorted sense in which that term is often used.

NJ's limited quality habitat is the rate limiting step for a healthy herd.
Science and politics are inextricably linked and NJ bears are a case study in that collision of facts and emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey