Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you can change teams - you just have to meet the deadline. it's been like this for forever....

I get it. I just think its stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM

5 posts, read 15,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessertRat View Post
I'm a Libertarian. But I'm registered as a Republican, because I want to be able to vote in primaries. Since the early 80s, I've pretty much always voted Libertarian when possible. However, this year, if either Clinton or Obama is the Democratic candidate (and surely one will be), then I'm going to vote for them because I think it's important to break the demographic barrier. We need to open up the playing field so that you do not have to be white and male and straight/married and religious to be President. So my strategy for the primary will be to vote for a Republican who will have no chance against either Clinton or Obama; and I've got a good one, because I actually like him--Ron Paul. He'll never make it because he's too Libertarian (and he used to actually be a Libertarian).

Yeah, good reason to vote for someone. Don't go by the issues at all, just do it because the candidate is black or a woman. Glad to see people like you are out there voting for the person to rule our country.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 PM

416 posts, read 1,713,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymormonmama View Post
Yeah, good reason to vote for someone. Don't go by the issues at all, just do it because the candidate is black or a woman. Glad to see people like you are out there voting for the person to rule our country.
Democrats and Republicans almost always have an equal amount of problems when it comes to issues in my opinion--none of them are really any better than the others. Voting on issues, I vote Libertarian, which is what I usually do.

However, this is unfortunately a country in which only two parties are viable, and in which only a particular kind of person in those parties has been viable. This is a large part of the problem with this country politically, imo. The playing field is far too narrow for something so important. That IS an issue. It shouldn't be impossible for anyone to become President--regardless of their party affiliation or lack of the same, regardless of their "race" or ethnicity, regardless of their gender, regardless of their sexual orientation, regardless of their marital status, regardless of their religious beliefs, regardless of their place of birth, and regardless of their age. Ideologies, expressions of ideologies, race/ethnicity, gender, sex and marriage between consenting parties (whoever and however many), religion, etc. should not be legislated in any way, and orientations with respect to those things should not matter when choosing a political leader. They have mattered so far. It's not the case that there have been no good candidates who were from other parties, other ethnicities, women, gay or bisexual, single, swinging or polygamous, Jewish or Hindu or Atheist or Satanists etc., from other countries, in their 20s, etc. It's not been that the only viable candidates, or the best ones, in the long run just so happened to be white (with European ancestry--and Western European at that), straight/married, males who were Christians. It's that people have only voted for them, partially because of that. So voting for someone who will help break those barriers--especially when they have a very good chance of winning--IS voting for an issue. If neither Clinton nor Obama make it, I will be voting Libertarian in November.

So thanks, I'm pleased that you're glad to see people like me voting.

Last edited by DessertRat; 02-01-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
FOLKS - please keep it on topic - I see this veering into ugliness very easily. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Default changing voting location

I moved about 10 months ago, changed my address through the USPS and i received a sample ballot the other day with a poll location in the town i used to live in. How do i change it to be in my current city? I've tried to find an answer to this, but have had no luck.

its not too big of a deal since i can just drive 30 minutes to my old town, but its an inconvenience. Any help would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey