Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,105 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I wanted some advice on what to do. I got a ticket in upstate New York the past weekend, for going 81 in a 65. I hold a NJ license, from what I read this is a 4 point ticket (1180D). (Can someone confirm if this is 4 points?) I also read online since I am a NJ driver I will only get 2 points on my license (Can someone confirm this as well?) I don't want any points on my license as I don't want my insurance to go up. I haven't gotten a ticket in over 5 years. So because I don't want points just paying the ticket by mail is out of the question. The other 2 options are show up in court and work a deal with the prosecutor Or get an attorney. What do you guys think is the better option? Do I have a chance of getting this down to 0 points, I'm not to concerned about the fine I have to pay is this possible without a lawyer. Any advice on what I should do? Is it better to go with a lawyer or alone? I got this ticket in Randolph, NY in Cattaraugus County. So if anyone can recommend a lawyer that would be great as well.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 06:59 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
If you don't get NY to drop it as a moving violation, you will get 2 points in NJ.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

As to fighting the ticket, some might have advice here, but you'd probably do better with local knowledge from someone in a NY forum.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:00 AM

53 posts, read 82,981 times
My experience with these things is that if you get the right local lawyer, they go to court in your place and plea it down to a non-moving violation. That costs $400-500, so if you have a day to spare you can easily do it yourself. In either case you'll also be paying $130 or so for a seatbelt violation or whatever they plea you down to.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereLeftToGo View Post
My experience with these things is that if you get the right local lawyer, they go to court in your place and plea it down to a non-moving violation. That costs $400-500, so if you have a day to spare you can easily do it yourself. In either case you'll also be paying $130 or so for a seatbelt violation or whatever they plea you down to.
I can easily do this my self? Just show up and ask to get it moved down even tho it is obvious that I was speeding?

Old 11-18-2015, 07:31 AM

248 posts, read 674,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankys_14 View Post
I can easily do this my self? Just show up and ask to get it moved down even tho it is obvious that I was speeding?
Yes. Show up to court on the day of hearing, be professional and respectful, apologize for the mistake and there is a 80-90% chance of the violation being reduced (but do not expect the fine to be small)

Remember, tickets are a revenue source for small towns in upstate NY and all they care for is the $, not so much for the violation. (Source: personal experience)

Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP1987 View Post
Yes. Show up to court on the day of hearing, be professional and respectful, apologize for the mistake and there is a 80-90% chance of the violation being reduced (but do not expect the fine to be small)

Remember, tickets are a revenue source for small towns in upstate NY and all they care for is the $, not so much for the violation. (Source: personal experience)
Awesome thank you! The court timing is at 6:00 PM and I can easily get off work. I'm not too concerned about the $ for the fine. Just don't want the insurance to go up.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Awesome thank you! The court timing is at 6:00 PM and I can easily get off work. I'm not too concerned about the $ for the fine. Just don't want the insurance to go up.
Just remember that the key for you is to end up with a non-moving violation. Even if they lowered the speeding offense to 1 mph over the limit, that would reduce NY points, but would still be 2 points for NJ.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Just remember that the key for you is to end up with a non-moving violation. Even if they lowered the speeding offense to 1 mph over the limit, that would reduce NY points, but would still be 2 points for NJ.
Thanks I will mention Non-moving violation to them. Hopefully they accept.

So the general consensus is go by my self and not shell out extra for a lawyer?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks I will mention Non-moving violation to them. Hopefully they accept.

So the general consensus is go by my self and not shell out extra for a lawyer?
I would still seek out people with direct experience with speeding tickets in NY State.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:32 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Oh good, another post about someone getting a ticket. It's been at least a week since the last one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: