Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 08:48 AM

227 posts, read 329,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indmirage View Post
Thank you so much, all your replies were really helpful. Our decision making criteria does not really include areas only populated by Indians.. We love diversity and have previously lived in Cherry Hill with very few Indians in our community and have friends comprising of all ethnicity from our previous stay in US. What matters the most is our child's education and clean and spacious apartments (you see we got spoiled by South Jersey :-)

Would Edison have bus or shuttle connectivity to Train Station/Metropark. I looked at Iselin/Woodbridge areas but North Edison schools have much higher rating. not sure though if those ratings matter to us right now as our daughter will be going to an elementary school only. Also, my daughter was born in May 2008..can anyone please give me an idea what grade will she be admitted to in US?

Hope you all can help me. Thanks so much!
I would still recommend Edison/iselin/woodbridge, only because the connectivity to JC is good and schools are fairly decent. Keeping in mind that you would be open to relocation once ur daughter grows up, i think a school district with rating of 8 and above plus convenient commute is what you should be looking for. You can always move later when you are settled better.
If your daughter is May 2008 born she will go to Grade 2 right now and to Grade 3 when new session starts in september 2016.

I used to live in Bayonne which is very close to JC but has terrible schools. We moved to a better school district as soon as she reached preschool.

Millburn is anotherlocation which has top notch schools but the rentals are very high. You can consider morris plains/parsippany but it will pretty much be the same quality of schools for a longer commute.

Sorry i dont have no idea about parking at metropark. If you are a facebook user you could consider joining "Central jersey brown mommies unite" group. Its a group with mothers from Central jersey primarily edison, iselin etc with good info on questions about schooling, daycare, nannies, apartments etc.

Send me a pm if you need any help with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM

30 posts, read 47,790 times
Thank you so much Seagreen for such a detailed reply and offering help for the FB thing. Really appreciate that. Yes, I am also leaning towards Edison/ Iselin/Woodbridge after considering all the factors but just have few questions:

1. I see that North Edison is the best place to live due to high rated schools. What about the schools for Iselin or Woodbridge ...more importantly elementary school. The rent is Iselin /Woodbridge is lower than Edison and if the schools are pretty good then we can consider these two areas too as it will save some bucks and give us more rental options.

2. I have read a lot about bed bugs problem in Edison/Iselin/Woodbridge and that is making me scared to move. We will be buying everything from scratch and it is hard to think that we might lose some of the furniture etc due to this bug problem. Moreover, never experienced bed bugs in my life so scared all the more :-)

Old 12-07-2015, 09:32 AM

Also I am bowled over by Millburn School rating (10) but the commute to NYC looks tough. Would have loved to live there though :-(

Old 12-07-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much Seagreen for such a detailed reply and offering help for the FB thing. Really appreciate that. Yes, I am also leaning towards Edison/ Iselin/Woodbridge after considering all the factors but just have few questions:

1. I see that North Edison is the best place to live due to high rated schools. What about the schools for Iselin or Woodbridge ...more importantly elementary school. The rent is Iselin /Woodbridge is lower than Edison and if the schools are pretty good then we can consider these two areas too as it will save some bucks and give us more rental options.

2. I have read a lot about bed bugs problem in Edison/Iselin/Woodbridge and that is making me scared to move. We will be buying everything from scratch and it is hard to think that we might lose some of the furniture etc due to this bug problem. Moreover, never experienced bed bugs in my life so scared all the more :-)
I know a lot of people who live in Iselin and are happy with the schools. Like you said its just elementry schools for now. I dont have specific info because i never lived in that area. One idea would be google some apartments in all the areas ur looking and input the address in Greatschools.org website to see which school is assigned and its rating.

regarding bed bugs, most of the times the cause is buying infected preloved stuff off craigslist. if you are buying new, half the problem is so;lved. and yes some apts are beg bug ridden. Read reviews every apartment you are considering. ask the management upfront about it and also if they have exterminator services regularly. Mostly run down apt socieities face this problem, the maintained ones are fairly good.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Also I am bowled over by Millburn School rating (10) but the commute to NYC looks tough. Would have loved to live there though :-(
The commute is actually not tough because they have a direct train to Penn station. I stay very close to Millburn. The parking at the station has a huge waitlist plus the rent is exhorbitant.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:20 AM

255 posts, read 456,008 times
Quote:
Also, my daughter was born in May 2008..can anyone please give me an idea what grade will she be admitted to in US?
Kids born in May 2008 are in 2nd grade.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:21 AM

Thanks for all the help, here i am with some more questions :-) As suggested by everyone we WERE leaning towards Edison coz of reasonable commute to NYC and good area/ schools but then considering the fact that we will be without car for a few months till we get our driving licenses (since our US licenses expired way back and we are returning after more than 5 years) we are thinking Edison might not work out to be the best place for us. After doing some research on walkable towns - close to NYC and with good schools we liked Rutherford but the apartments are out of our budget. The only place which fits into our budget after stretching a bit is Liberty Terrace ( 140 Hackensack Street, East Rutherford ) where we are getting 2 BR for $2300/month. The place otherwise looks fine with direct bus to NYC, train station and police station close by and lot of shops/restaurants and library at walking distance. I just want to get opinions whether the place is really worth (both the apartment and the city) and also are we making the correct decision of choosing East Rutherford and not other slightly affordable towns like Lyndhurst.

Last edited by indmirage; 01-27-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM

173 posts, read 245,558 times
Quote:
Thank you so much, all your replies were really helpful. Our decision making criteria does not really include areas only populated by Indians.. We love diversity and have previously lived in Cherry Hill with very few Indians in our community and have friends comprising of all ethnicity from our previous stay in US. What matters the most is our child's education and clean and spacious apartments (you see we got spoiled by South Jersey :-)

Would Edison have bus or shuttle connectivity to Train Station/Metropark. I looked at Iselin/Woodbridge areas but North Edison schools have much higher rating. not sure though if those ratings matter to us right now as our daughter will be going to an elementary school only. Also, my daughter was born in May 2008..can anyone please give me an idea what grade will she be admitted to in US?

Hope you all can help me. Thanks so much!
^Awesome! I Love reading this! Welcome to America, I wish u The Best of Luck, And much success in YOUR new country! You have a great attitude!

Old 01-28-2016, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 20,919 times
No good areas in this state.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM

538 posts, read 733,806 times
I'm in South Orange with a fairly reasonable commute, Millburn is only two more stops down the line so I don't think I'd consider it far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey