Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 59,418 times

Advertisements

We are moving to either Rumson or Colts Neck, NJ this summer. I beleive the school district is good in both towns. What are the pros and cons of living in each of these two towns. Is one community better suited for a young family (small kids)? I will appreciate any insight/opinions regarding these two towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,637,636 times
Wow! You really can't go wrong either way. It's much easier to get on the GSP from Colts Neck, then Rumson.

You'll have cool neighbors like Bruce and Jon Bon Jovi if you choose Rumson.

Personally, I think Rumson is a tad too snooty for my taste. Then again...what the heck do I know, I grew up in Highlands which is considered a clam-digger, cootie-town.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shanny

Old 02-04-2008, 11:11 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Default You can't go wrong either way

It's just a question of finding the home that you like the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Wow! You really can't go wrong either way. It's much easier to get on the GSP from Colts Neck, then Rumson.

You'll have cool neighbors like Bruce and Jon Bon Jovi if you choose Rumson.

Personally, I think Rumson is a tad too snooty for my taste. Then again...what the heck do I know, I grew up in Highlands which is considered a clam-digger, cootie-town.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Shanny

Old 02-04-2008, 12:38 PM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
The two towns have completely different feels, IMO. A lot depends on which you prefer. We currently live in Colts Neck, but if I were choosing between the two to buy, and the houses were comparable, I would go with Rumson. If beach going is something you do, then Rumson is the better option. There are tons of factors that go into home buying though, so obviously you'll just weigh what is most important to you.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both towns are great places!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Rumson, NJ vs Colt's Neck, NJ

Thank you to all three of you for your reply.

Juliann1977, you mentioned that the two towns (Rumson and Colts Neck) have very different feels.., in what way?

Looking on the realtor.com, it seems, that you get very little for your money in Rumson, than in Colt's Neck. The houses are not comparable for the same price. So, what are the advantages of living in Rumson, excluding the proximity to the beach. Are the neighborhoods charming, more shopping, restaurants..? Or, is it just, that the real estate has higher value in Rumson?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriyaQuinn View Post
Thank you to all three of you for your reply.

Juliann1977, you mentioned that the two towns (Rumson and Colts Neck) have very different feels.., in what way?

Looking on the realtor.com, it seems, that you get very little for your money in Rumson, than in Colt's Neck. The houses are not comparable for the same price. So, what are the advantages of living in Rumson, excluding the proximity to the beach. Are the neighborhoods charming, more shopping, restaurants..? Or, is it just, that the real estate has higher value in Rumson?
colts neck is a rural area that has only been getting built up recently while rumson is a very old established community.
There is more of everything in the rumson area, stores, restaurants, a better sense of community. Colts neck is very suburban and most people there are newcomers. Both towns are nice, it all depends on what turns you on, I prefer rumson.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
colts neck is a rural area that has only been getting built up recently while rumson is a very old established community.
There is more of everything in the rumson area, stores, restaurants, a better sense of community. Colts neck is very suburban and most people there are newcomers. Both towns are nice, it all depends on what turns you on, I prefer rumson.
Yep--exactly.

Quote:
Yes, all of your hypotheses are correct.

Thinking about it though, given Rumson is more established and from what I've gathered most residents are a little older, Colts Neck might be the better option for you given you have young kids.

I'm a little surprised about the real estate comps too actually. I would expect that Rumson would be a bit higher, but not substantially. Actually, what made you choose those two towns? There are a couple others in Monmouth County that also might fit your bill (I'm thinking Holmdel and Marlboro, specifically)... Given Rumson and Colts Neck are so different, I guess I'm just a little surprised you would have targeted them together.

Last edited by juliann1977; 02-05-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM

Thanks, again for the reply.

Quote:
Actually, what made you choose those two towns? There are a couple others in Monmouth County that also might fit your bill (I'm thinking Holmdel and Marlboro, specifically)... Given Rumson and Colts Neck are so different, I guess I'm just a little surprised you would have targeted them together.
Last year, when we came up for the interview, we did a drive around Red Bank, Colt's Neck, Fair Haven, Middletown and Rumson area. Although it was all beautiful, these two areas just stood out a little more. Plus I heard that the school district is better in these two compared to Red Bank and Middletown. It was a quick 2-3 hour drive, so I am not sure, how well I really covered everything. From what I remember, Holmdel seemed a lot more rural than Colts Neck, and I really not know much about Marlboro. I will appreciate more insight about Marlboro and Holmdel.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
I wouldn't characterize Holmdel as more rural then Colts Neck at all. And the school district in Colts Neck is relatively new and while I'm sure pretty good - I would say at this point if school district is your focus, go with Holmdel. If you don't like rural, I'd move Colts Neck down on the list and bump Holmdel into its place. Just my two cents. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriyaQuinn View Post
Thanks, again for the reply.

Last year, when we came up for the interview, we did a drive around Red Bank, Colt's Neck, Fair Haven, Middletown and Rumson area. Although it was all beautiful, these two areas just stood out a little more. Plus I heard that the school district is better in these two compared to Red Bank and Middletown. It was a quick 2-3 hour drive, so I am not sure, how well I really covered everything. From what I remember, Holmdel seemed a lot more rural than Colts Neck, and I really not know much about Marlboro. I will appreciate more insight about Marlboro and Holmdel.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
From what I remember, Holmdel seemed a lot more rural than Colts Neck, and I really not know much about Marlboro. I will appreciate more insight about Marlboro and Holmdel.
Holmdel has the best public schools in Monmouth County. Colts Neck and Marlboro are part of the Freehold Regional School district, which is also very well-regarded. As you mentioned, Rumson also has very good schools.

Holmdel is very sprawling--not particularly rural at all, though there are parts (probably the parts you saw ) that one might consider rural. As a whole, Colts Neck is the most rural of the bunch. Marlboro is very suburban and abuts both Holmdel and Colts Neck.

FWIW, Rumson and Colts Neck are the most hoity toity towns in Monmouth County. Holmdel, Marlboro, Manalapan, and some of the beach towns would follow.

Your kids will have lots of options for things to do in all of those towns. We are building in Marlboro and among our many reasons for choosing that town was the excellent recreation programming. I have a toddler, and I've found the area to be just fantastic for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey