Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Tahiti, please let's not go there...it's been so peaceful between the two of us.
Of course you cannot compare NYC to Charlotte. But then posters, particularly those "pro-New Jerseyans" on this forum, need to put their arguments into perspective. You can't blame me for defending the city I live in, especially when someone tries to convey Charlotte as such a crime infested, miserable city. Those who have visited or live here now would beg to differ.
As far as the worst/best comment, why wouldn't someone defend where they live? Aren't you doing the same?

LOL - it wasn't bound to last

First off, I'm not defending anything. If you've seen any of my posts about these "best places" - I've said time and time again they're a crock and I'd never use them in any argument, just like I'd never use a "worst places" either (remember, it wasn't me who brought up that "miserable city" list, and honestly, I'm shocked Charlotte was on there, that makes me want to throw the BS flag).

You accused me once of continually bringing NC into the discussion when someone said something disparaging about NJ, yet you just did the same thing in reverse when this crime thing was mentioned! While you didn't say NJ has more crime - that was the implication, which is why I questioned whether you mean NJ or NYC.

I try to call a spade a spade. If someone comes on here and says Camden is a hellhole, I'm not going to disagree. When people say taxes are high in Essex County, I'm not going to disagree. It's when sweeping generalizations are made is when my feathers get ruffled.

Of course people want to defend where they live. I think I do a decent, balanced job for NJ. I sometimes don't see that in the transplants (not you specifically), which makes sense, because they have more at stake since they uprooted their lives to move, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I sense a bit of envy in that comment. As I do in most "people-who-left-Jersey-are-crazy, unhappy-that-they-moved, can't-find-a-job, just-moved-for-lower-taxes and will-one-day-come-back" comments out there. What is wrong with leaving New Jersey???? Why do you care?
I can see defending a negative comment about your state, but give it a rest already. JEEEEZZZ, my "Jersey" attitude is showing again!
jeez is right! i'm just asking a question! what's envy have to do with anything?

see my response to you above, which is what prompted that question.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:22 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - it wasn't bound to last

First off, I'm not defending anything. If you've seen any of my posts about these "best places" - I've said time and time again they're a crock and I'd never use them in any argument, just like I'd never use a "worst places" either (remember, it wasn't me who brought up that "miserable city" list, and honestly, I'm shocked Charlotte was on there, that makes me want to throw the BS flag).

You accused me once of continually bringing NC into the discussion when someone said something disparaging about NJ, yet you just did the same thing in reverse when this crime thing was mentioned! While you didn't say NJ has more crime - that was the implication, which is why I questioned whether you mean NJ or NYC.

I try to call a spade a spade. If someone comes on here and says Camden is a hellhole, I'm not going to disagree. When people say taxes are high in Essex County, I'm not going to disagree. It's when sweeping generalizations are made is when my feathers get ruffled.

Of course people want to defend where they live. I think I do a decent, balanced job for NJ. I sometimes don't see that in the transplants (not you specifically), which makes sense, because they have more at stake since they uprooted their lives to move, KWIM?
No, I wasn't implying that NJ has more or less crime than Charlotte....just questioning the source of the information (article). My bad for using NJ's TV news as an example.
Yes, you do a very good job as a moderator for the NJ forum....can't say the same for..... well, you know.... That's why I keep coming back to this forum.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
again, are we talking NJ or NYC news? are you saying atlanta's crime problem isn't as bad as NYC's? i'm confused here.
I'm comparing to the news on ABC, NBC, and CBS in central NJ- call it NJ news, NYC news, or whatever- it'd include coverage of stories in NYC, Newark, North Jersey, etc.

I'm not trying to compare the level of crime in the two areas- what I'm saying is that the coverage of crime seems to vary greatly from city to city, and that it's not a perfect indicator of the actual level of crime. Atlanta's stations seem to be so focused on "in-depth coverage" of every little incident, which makes the crime seem far worse than it actually is, whereas other areas don't necessarily do that. Maybe it's because so many of the NJ/NYC stories are covering the corruption, etc., that there's no time left over to cover the crime? lol

To your second question, I don't have actual figures, but I'd bet that the actual City of Atlanta has a higher crime rate per capita than NYC proper, but on an overall MSA level, I really don't know which one rates higher. I do know that "my little slice of GA" out 35 miles from the center of Atlanta has an extremely low crime rate, and that's all that really matters to me.........

Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM

110 posts, read 548,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm comparing to the news on ABC, NBC, and CBS in central NJ- call it NJ news, NYC news, or whatever- it'd include coverage of stories in NYC, Newark, North Jersey, etc.

I'm not trying to compare the level of crime in the two areas- what I'm saying is that the coverage of crime seems to vary greatly from city to city, and that it's not a perfect indicator of the actual level of crime. Atlanta's stations seem to be so focused on "in-depth coverage" of every little incident, which makes the crime seem far worse than it actually is, whereas other areas don't necessarily do that. Maybe it's because so many of the NJ/NYC stories are covering the corruption, etc., that there's no time left over to cover the crime? lol

To your second question, I don't have actual figures, but I'd bet that the actual City of Atlanta has a higher crime rate per capita than NYC proper, but on an overall MSA level, I really don't know which one rates higher. I do know that "my little slice of GA" out 35 miles from the center of Atlanta has an extremely low crime rate, and that's all that really matters to me.........
What I find interesting is how many of the cities with the highest crime rates in the US are in the South. Of course Detroit and DC aren't in the south. But Richmond, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Atlanta, they are all annual contenders for the top spot.

Then you see New York, the crime rate has plummetted.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao9999 View Post
What I find interesting is how many of the cities with the highest crime rates in the US are in the South. Of course Detroit and DC aren't in the south. But Richmond, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Birmingham, Atlanta, they are all annual contenders for the top spot.
And why do you find that "interesting"? Do you see some link between the distance to the equator and crime? Are you implying that maybe crime is a result of a high black population? Or maybe that it's just something that "civilized northern folk" don't do? BTW- all of the southern cities you listed have violent crime rates of between 520 and 580 per 100,000 residents according to the 2006 FBI stats. For comparision, NYC is 637, Philly is 756, Detroit is 757, and Las Vegas is 877, so you may want to re-think your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao9999 View Post
Then you see New York, the crime rate has plummetted.
Yup- for a few reasons. First off, the city, under the past two administrations, has spent a huge amount of money on increasing the police force, and also on getting rid of the homeless people. Secondly, NYC has gentrified and become so expensive that alot of the "criminal element" can't afford to live there anymore. And yet, even with that, NYC still has a higher violent crime rate per capita than the cities you called out above. So what's the point of your post, exactly???

Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
And why do you find that "interesting"? Do you see some link between the distance to the equator and crime? Are you implying that maybe crime is a result of a high black population? Or maybe that it's just something that "civilized northern folk" don't do? BTW- all of the southern cities you listed have violent crime rates of between 520 and 580 per 100,000 residents according to the 2006 FBI stats. For comparision, NYC is 637, Philly is 756, Detroit is 757, and Las Vegas is 877, so you may want to re-think your comment.

Yup- for a few reasons. First off, the city, under the past two administrations, has spent a huge amount of money on increasing the police force, and also on getting rid of the homeless people. Secondly, NYC has gentrified and become so expensive that alot of the "criminal element" can't afford to live there anymore. And yet, even with that, NYC still has a higher violent crime rate per capita than the cities you called out above. So what's the point of your post, exactly???
ah, a little touchy I see, eh? surely since you can dish it out you can take it, right?

i *think* it's a fact that warmer climates *generally* have higher crime rates.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
ah, a little touchy I see, eh? surely since you can dish it out you can take it, right?

i *think* it's a fact that warmer climates *generally* have higher crime rates.
Not touchy at all- just disproving some points. I would have done the same thing if they were talking about any other city.

To your second point, I've never seen any data that proves or disproves that theory, so I wouldn't even attempt to touch it.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Not touchy at all- just disproving some points. I would have done the same thing if they were talking about any other city.

To your second point, I've never seen any data that proves or disproves that theory, so I wouldn't even attempt to touch it.
Bob, I have no facts to back it up. But when the weather in my area is extremely cold the crime rate plummets to almost zero because the bad guys don't go out. Statistic wise our crime rate is very low when the weather is cold. When it warms up the sh$t hits the fan. That stat IMHO is probably pretty much the same in most of the cold, cold cities. If it snows for say 3 days the street crime is almost zero. So some people are assuming that the warmer cities are more capable of having year round crime. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Bob, I have no facts to back it up. But when the weather in my area is extremely cold the crime rate plummets to almost zero because the bad guys don't go out. Statistic wise our crime rate is very low when the weather is cold. When it warms up the sh$t hits the fan. That stat IMHO is probably pretty much the same in most of the cold, cold cities. If it snows for say 3 days the street crime is almost zero. So some people are assuming that the warmer cities are more capable of having year round crime. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Makes total sense. I was working on a jobsite in a crappy area of Newark back in 2000 that started in January, and the streets were pretty well abandoned. We got a freak warm (maybe 65?) day in February, and all of a sudden there were kids running through the State parking lot next to us flipping door handles on cars looking for unlocked doors. That day alone the police had multiple breakins/car thefts reported in that lot and ours. It's like they were just waiting for the warm weather to start stealing or something.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey