Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:00 PM

7 posts, read 18,031 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide between many top school districts- millburn, westfield, chatham, new providence etc. I am having troubles deciding how different these schools really are when it comes to school stress. I want my children to work very hard and if they get into AP's eventually that is great, but I hear that each school presents different levels of stress even though they all are top schools. I have friends in Millburn, and they say the stress really picks up in 6th grade. This seems early and have a hard time thinking my 6th grader should endure this at such a young age. Is this true for Westfield, Chatham etc? Are they all the same in the end if your child goes into accelerated/honors and eventually AP programs. Or schools outside of Millburn make more an effort to keep the stress levels out of the middle school, and allow it to pick up in highschool if the child chooses to pursue higher level AP classes.

I don't know what to do as Millburn gives my family the best commute, has great services nearby (ie. traders joes, all banks, town center, library, train station etc), and more diverse. Other towns feel more removed as we both commute to city and would add about 15 minutes to our commutes.

Please comment on school stress for each district from middle school on....

Millburn/Short Hills
Chatham
Westfield
Summit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 02:43 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Stress is a very personal thing. How can generalizations be made for an entire school district? Your kid might be very stressed while another kid in the same class handles it very well. It all depends on their personality. I remember taking AP classes back in the day and there was this one kid that was always a nervous wreck and looked like he was on the verge of a heart attack at all times. Meanwhile I was not stressed at all. Are you the type of parent that asks your kid why they got an A- and not an A+? That plays a big factor too...a stressed parent usually results in a stressed child...

Old 12-29-2015, 02:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
you're overthinking it and creating stress.

you control the vast majority of your children's environment and resultant stress level.

(let's see, new category here? want most highly ranked and competitive schools... but with low stress)

Old 12-29-2015, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 18,031 times
Original poster here- I am not saying I want no stress. I completely accept that there will be stress in all good school districts especially if your child is above average and is able to get into honors classes. I just hear that some districts are more manageable than others even if it is a top district. And some districts start killing you with homework early. I wanted people's views on this. I am not the type of parent that expects perfection by any means. I want my kids to do the best they can, but I also don't want them to be in a system that the bar is so much higher than other top 10 districts.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:38 AM

396 posts, read 708,181 times
I have kids in the Millburn school system. They are very different. One of my children is intellectually curious, sharp, scientific minded and observant. He's a little scattered but gets As and Bs. If he was my only child, my perception of MMS would be an easy one: Aplus. I'm forever amazed at the level in which he's being taught....from content to methodology. Lots of homework but not so that he doesn't have time for sports. He has nice friends....a little geeky but polite, responsible and self assured. Our experience with him has been beyond excellent and I think they've takrn a kid that might have been bored elsewhere and turned him into a responsible student with good command of himself.

My other child is artsy and she's struggled much more. She finds the work level to be too much....too detailed, too expanded, too much everything. She's struggled socially even though she's adorable and kind and a good kid. But she's absent minded and her sharp friends have little tolerances of it. This is not an easy place for a kid that has their heads in the clouds....

Good resources if you have an IEp. Nice kids. Kind teachers.....

The extracurricular stuff is all through town..which is ok other than it might have helped my daughter socially.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:57 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Many of the top schools in New Jersey put a lot of pressure and stress on the students. Not only is it for academic reasons, but for social reasons as well.

Millburn is notorious for this. They felt a lot of pressure to be the #1 high school in New Jersey.

School community takes a hard look at stress - News - NorthJersey.com

There’s even a Twitter account devoted to the stress.

https://twitter.com/millerprobz

Now that Chatham is #1, I’m sure the stress will increase exponentially, although this article shows the stress was already there in 2008:

Teen Stress - A New Epidemic | Patch

Summit Middle School:

LCJSMS Guidance:*Summit

Westfield High School:

WHS Looks to Tackle Student Stress | Patch

Even though you didn’t ask about West Windsor/Plainboro, I found a recent New York Times article illuminating. Now the parents are at odds with each other, and it’s apparently broken down along racial lines:

New Jersey School District Eases Pressure on Students, Baring an Ethnic Divide - The New York Times

Other school systems you can check out: Madison and Cranford.

Of course, all of these school systems are terrific in lovely places, with mostly walkable downtowns.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
I know people in all of them (with children in middle and high school).
MIllburn is the most competitive, and "diverse" in terms of huge % Asian and Indian.
Summit is the most diverse, economically. Schooling is good, not excellent, but with that parents may have more diverse expectations (vs. in Millburn where the type A parents all want the same thing - Excellence - and their student to be #1).
Westfield similar to Summit, but the lower-end economic group is smaller.
Chatham will have the "popular" types, ie, connected, social parents with excellent jobs (and many SAHM in all these districts). Very good schooling.
Madison will not be as competitive and is a smaller town, and good sense of community.
New Providence will be the most normal and is a much smaller school district than the others.

That's just my observations based on many conversations with residents of those towns.

Last edited by snuffybear; 12-30-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 05:59 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Regarding the NY Times article above, when I read it, I thought, wow that's exactly like what I hear about Millburn/Short Hills.

Impressive list of resources, NJMemories! And great these schools are dealing with the issue.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:20 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Regarding the NY Times article above, when I read it, I thought, wow that's exactly like what I hear about Millburn/Short Hills.

Impressive list of resources, NJMemories! And great these schools are dealing with the issue.
Thank you! It did occur to me that article could definitely be describing many wealthy, competitive communities (yes, I did think of Millburn). I read it on Christmas Day and it was the first article I thought of while reading the original post.

I am glad the schools are starting to realize that the pressure is a real problem.

Also, I forgot to say the Chatham is known for having a "Chattitude".

I'd prefer Madison myself if I was raising children. It is pretty, which an adorable downtown, and very good schools, but not as pressure-packed as Millburn and Chatham. The high school is excellent!

Actually, all of these towns are beautiful. I love the Revolutionary War history associated with Chatham, Madison, and Morristown.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 PM

173 posts, read 245,394 times
Wow, just wow. Let the kids be themselves, and everything will work out. I could never be a helicopter parent. Let them be. Whatever classes they take are fine. I wish parents wouldn't put all these expectations on kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey