Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I am happy that NJ has very strict anti gun laws. I would be more scared of out of control, out of shape NJ residents shooting someone for no reason that on actual criminals. It seems that the high profile shootings all happen in the states with lax gun laws.
People who feel this way are people who have never been in a situation where they had a need to defend themselves. It's like people who say they don't need a home security system...until their house gets broken into. Last Tuesday night there was a carjacking in Orange. The driver of the car was pistol whipped and forced into the passenger seat while the car was pursued at high speed by police through 3 towns. The car eventually crashed in East Orange where the woman had to be treated by EMS. It's unfortunate she was not able to defend herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 02:12 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Sometimes I have to walk home through a bad neighborhood, so I've wondered what weapons I can LEGALLY carry for self-defense. I actually feel a little paranoid about even asking this question, even though I shouldn't. And I know that it's almost impossible to get a gun carrying permit in NJ.

The other day I was standing in line at the 7/11 right behind a local cop (some idiot ahead of us was taking forever to get lotto tickets...), so I started making small talk and I asked him what I could carry for self-defense in a bad neighborhood. He took a step back from me and put his hands on his utility belt. I thought he was about to frisk me or something so I quickly muttered, "like pepper spray?" His response was "take an Uber if you're so worried." I didn't expect such an immediately hostile response, because I grew up in a cop neighborhood and feel like I usually see eye-to-eye with them.

It shouldn't be like this. I know it's NJ, but I'm sure that in other states like Texas the cop would have considered it a totally legitimate question. So, am I supposed to just be a victim? Again, I am asking about LEGAL items.
Is anything forcing you to live where you have to "walk home through a bad neighborhood"?

If not, move. Who wants to live like that if they don't have to. Never have, never will.

If you do have to, all you can do is watch your back.

Don't even think of using a weapon other than fists or feet if you're violently attacked in public in NJ.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:06 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
People who feel this way are people who have never been in a situation where they had a need to defend themselves. It's like people who say they don't need a home security system...until their house gets broken into. Last Tuesday night there was a carjacking in Orange. The driver of the car was pistol whipped and forced into the passenger seat while the car was pursued at high speed by police through 3 towns. The car eventually crashed in East Orange where the woman had to be treated by EMS. It's unfortunate she was not able to defend herself.
The crime is of course horrible. But you think that a woman without too much training would be able to defend herself from a criminal with a gun? Unless she had some military or para military training, I think she would've gotten shut herself. I think anyone would've been better off to try to fight physically, scream and yell, etc...

Old 07-16-2019, 03:46 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The problem with this country in general is crime and punishment too weak and gun laws are getting stiffer while punishment getting more lenient. Us criminal laws don't protect victims, it only seeks to profit off the system of criminal law rather than serve and protect the people. You do more time cheating the Fed government of money than beating and raping women. Try robbery in Japan or Singapore with a gun, its mandatory long term sentence. Killing someone is another long term to automatic death sentence. Without punishment to deter criminal, self defense is the only viable option.

The cost of accidental shooting and involuntary manslaughter is less than being harmed or killed by a criminal. Once again we thank the progressives for being compassionate about the well being of criminals.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
The crime is of course horrible. But you think that a woman without too much training would be able to defend herself from a criminal with a gun? Unless she had some military or para military training, I think she would've gotten shut herself. I think anyone would've been better off to try to fight physically, scream and yell, etc...
Criminals know people in NJ are a bunch of sitting ducks that can't defend themselves. That's why most crimes happen to begin with. The perpetrator of a crime might think twice if they thought their potential victim had a gun, and the crime may not happen at all. An armed intruder could break into my home right now and take off with my kids and any of my possessions and there is basically nothing I would be able to do to stop them. That's pretty scary (and sad) when you think about it.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
US is the only country where home intrusion happens more often because of guns. In other countries, home invasions don't happen often because strict gun laws. More burglaries than home invasion. I visited may countries and not a single person has a home alarm system. Quite common here.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Surely one of you has statistics to point to that show some kind of corollary between guns and crime.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:54 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default NJ's focus is to prosecute crime, not prevent it!

Criminals in Nj do not carry guns!

It is against the law!

three year mandatory.....

have to release your medical records, FBI runs your finger prints, you need to have references the cops check, then a NICS is run against your driver license to see if you are wanted or charges pending since approval for a FID.

Repeat if a permit to purchase a pistol is desired.

If that, along with a 10 round mag cap doesn't discourage bad guys from threatening anyone in NJ, I don't know what will.

Aside from that, NJ is a sanctuary state!! People come to NJ to seek refuge from harm.

Even Obama said, the places with the strictest gun laws are the safest places!

No reason anyone would need a weapon in NJ, whether it be a rock, hardcover book, screwdriver or 44 mag.

Besides, Cory Booker cleaned up Newark before he was ordained a senator by the befuddled and confused.

We have guvmurph to protect us and his AG is right on top of things. NJ prefers you surrender your life rather than hurt your attacker. NJ's focus is to prosecute crime, not prevent it! Makes the job easier for prosecutors.

In a sanctuary state, illegal aliens feel safe ratting out local gang members. They have no fear of retribution, the cops will protect them! So in a sanctuary state and city, you are even safer!!!!!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
US is the only country where home intrusion happens more often because of guns. In other countries, home invasions don't happen often because strict gun laws. More burglaries than home invasion. I visited may countries and not a single person has a home alarm system. Quite common here.
what is the basis for this belief that guns increase the number of home invasions?

Old 07-19-2019, 04:17 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
What weapons are you LEGALLY allowed to carry in NJ for self-defense?

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to carry a pea shooter. Big downside is you're only allowed to use actual peas for ammo.

And they can't be frozen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey