Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:06 PM

285 posts, read 749,962 times

Advertisements

If someone, for example, a group of criminals enter your house, and you try to defend your life and the life of your family, if you succeed but one the criminals end up dead or badly wounded... your chances of being charged with homicide are 100%

The last victim (of the thugs and the spanish law) is a chineese shopkeeper, who was assaulted by two criminals armed with knives, in the fight, the shopkeeper managed to grab one of the knives and killed one of the criminals, the other one thug stabbed the shopkeeper and run away, the shopkeeper is now at hospital badly wounded under police watch, charged with homicide.

That was just an example, I can show you have hundreds of cases like that...

One of the most unacceptable things for a dictatorship is that people could defend by themselves.
We are ruled by evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Getting charged with homicide and a conviction because of that are two different things.

Personally, I'm quite glad that courts have to check whether the conditions for self-defense were met and that there are no stand your ground laws over here...

Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Getting charged with homicide and a conviction because of that are two different things.

Personally, I'm quite glad that courts have to check whether the conditions for self-defense were met and that there are no stand your ground laws over here...

The chances that the shopkeeper gets convicted are high.
He is under police watch at hospital, and he could end up in " preventive" jail.
In the best case, he will have to pass through a torment, years of litigation and trials.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:48 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,074 times
I wonder if that happens everywhere or only in Spain, I was wondering since a long time ago...

Self defenses must be controlled of course and investigate, but it is true that if you kill or damage someone who is attacking you into your house, the one with legal charges is you.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 AM

I think the US has a better and more rational self defence law.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 238,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I wonder if that happens everywhere or only in Spain, I was wondering since a long time ago...

Self defenses must be controlled of course and investigate, but it is true that if you kill or damage someone who is attacking you into your house, the one with legal charges is you.

Catbelle

In Spain, law favours "chorizos" (criminals).
Why?
Common opinion is that politicians are "chorizos", so they protect themselves.
But you can defend yourself, of course.
As a general rule, thiefs were not violent, you could scare them away and they fled when discovered..until the wall fell...

Old 03-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofardin View Post
Catbelle

In Spain, law favours "chorizos" (criminals).
Why?
Common opinion is that politicians are "chorizos", so they protect themselves.
But you can defend yourself, of course.
As a general rule, thiefs were not violent, you could scare them away and they fled when discovered..until the wall fell...

You know very well the subject... are you too spanish?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
You know very well the subject... are you too spanish?
There seems to be a lot of Spaniards hiding around in C-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post

It happens in the UK too. If you assault a burgler in your house, or they get hurt by a trap you set up, YOU get in trouble with the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
I think the US has a better and more rational self defence law.
It depends on the state. Not all states are so lenient on self-defense like Florida.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There seems to be a lot of Spaniards hiding around in C-D

It happens in the UK too. If you assault a burgler in your house, or they get hurt by a trap you set up, YOU get in trouble with the law.

It depends on the state. Not all states are so lenient on self-defense like Florida.
UK... lots of similarities with Spain, a shameful law system who cares more for the criminals than for the victims, increasing poverty of the local population, flooded with tolerated massive immigration...
Maybe that's why so many british and spanish move into the US.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:26 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,048 times
I hate to break it to you but it is a myth that self defense in the UK will get you in jail. The cases where someone went to jail for killing or harming a burglar were because they did things like set the burglar on fire when the burglar had been tied up in a chair or used an illegal weapon to do it. Self defense is legal in the UK for homeowners. It's not legal when you do things like attack the burglar after they have been detained or use illegal means. In the US shooting the burglar after he was on the ground or tied up would also you get you in jail for murder.

As for a trap in your house or property in the US that would also get you in jail. Man traps have been illegal for decades in the US.

Spain btw is the 18th most armed county out of 178 countries. Over 2 and a half million people are registered gun owners in Spain. The law btw allows registered gun owners to openly carry firearms.

It should be noted that in 2010 there were 390 homicides of which 67 were committed with a firearm. And usually about 2 dozens or so suicides by gun every year. Compare that to the US where every day two or three times that number commit suicide by firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe