Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 07:33 AM

227 posts, read 329,743 times

Advertisements

My husband accidently dropped the only set of car keys in the snow while shovelling yesterday. We looked around a lot but could not find it. Its a 1999 Nissan maxima and a transponder key. Can someone guide whats the best way out to get a replacement and approx cost.

1. Reach out to an auto locksmith and have him come onsite and cut a duplicate key.
2. Go to a dealership and have then make a duplicate.

Any other options?
Also if someone has prior experience or knowledge, what could be the approx cost under both these situations? Also what documents might be needed?

Going to call insurance as well as dealership in a few minutes. Just thought i'd ask here as well.
Dont know if it makes a difference but we are at Morris county, NJ.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Because it is a transponder key, and because you don't have one to copy, I believe that the only option is to go to a Nissan dealer's parts department, and give them the key codes that you have--hopefully--written down in the Owner's Manual or in some other location. Be prepared to prove ownership of the vehicle in order to have them order/make a key for you.

As to the cost...these things are not cheap, but I can't say for sure just how expensive it will be.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Because it is a transponder key, and because you don't have one to copy, I believe that the only option is to go to a Nissan dealer's parts department, and give them the key codes that you have--hopefully--written down in the Owner's Manual or in some other location. Be prepared to prove ownership of the vehicle in order to have them order/make a key for you.

As to the cost...these things are not cheap, but I can't say for sure just how expensive it will be.

Good luck!

Thank you! I have no clue if we have the key codes. We do have the title and the VIN number.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
I priced and extra one for an Altima in East Hanover and it was about $180. I wish I'd gotten it then (they were busy, I didn't want to wait) because I ended up getting in in FL and paid $230. I had to bring all the keys and the car because they reprogram them and the existing ones won't work if they don't do them all at once. Don't know how you'll get the car to the dealer without the key. Call the dealer and/or locksmith and ask what to do. If it was on a key ring with other metal keys, know anyone with a metal detector?

Old 01-25-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I priced and extra one for an Altima in East Hanover and it was about $180. I wish I'd gotten it then (they were busy, I didn't want to wait) because I ended up getting in in FL and paid $230. I had to bring all the keys and the car because they reprogram them and the existing ones won't work if they don't do them all at once. Don't know how you'll get the car to the dealer without the key. Call the dealer and/or locksmith and ask what to do. If it was on a key ring with other metal keys, know anyone with a metal detector?
We live in a large complex with other houses within and husband has no clue where exactly he dropped it. To add to the woes the plowing trucks were dumping snow from everywhere to certain spots, so it could be anywhere.
Will check with the dealership. An auto locksmith gave us a quote of $150+ however a dealership looks like a more reliable option. However i dont want it towed. Ugh.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 AM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
In 1999, the Maximas started using a key with a chip in it.
You will probably have to call the dealer and prove the car is yours, so they can create a new chipped key

If you bought the car new or buying it used, you received the new car documents
Many times they include the backup codes needed to make a new one

Depending on the vehicle
many vehicles have a hidden procedure where you insert the new blank key in the ignition
do a procedure dance
and the car will program the new key itself

Worst case, you will have to replace the ignition lock in the car and get a new key with it.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
In 1999, the Maximas started using a key with a chip in it.
You will probably have to call the dealer and prove the car is yours, so they can create a new chipped key

If you bought the car new or buying it used, you received the new car documents
Many times they include the backup codes needed to make a new one

Depending on the vehicle
many vehicles have a hidden procedure where you insert the new blank key in the ignition
do a procedure dance
and the car will program the new key itself

Worst case, you will have to replace the ignition lock in the car and get a new key with it.
Thats great Info, thanks!
At this point i am certain we are shelling 250$ plus, so might as well do the research well

Old 01-25-2016, 01:34 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Car keys with transponders in them are tricky. If you have a working one then for many cars you could go to Home Depot and they make them for about $60, but thats if you have one already. And thats for most cars. The car I have now is a fancier import and they dont do those.

Even when I had a Dodge or Chrysler 2 hardware stores tried to make one and both failed, a 3rd Homey Deep I went to figured out he had to cut the key slightly closer to the part you hold in order for the car to read the chip.

Without a working key there might be places that will do it via mail but it will take a while, I think they send you a key then maybe a dealer programs the chip, and those are about $200.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:37 PM

110 posts, read 181,241 times
For a 2000 Nissan Altima, the cost was around $200 at the Nissan dealer. I do not remember the exact amount as it was a long time ago. I had a spare key from which the dealer made a copy. I am not sure what happens when there is no key to copy from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey