Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times

Advertisements

Diners at 3 in the morning
Going to Chester to look for the hooker man
Bertands Island on Friday nites
Riding around the square in Morristown 100 times a nite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
When I was a kid in the 70's we used to cut school and take the bus into Manhatten and hang out in Times Square. Now I look back and wonder how they used to let 14 year old kids into the peep shows. Back then it was anything goes in NYC. Things are so much different now. I know I wasen't the only youngster coming home with a smile on my face ....Come on guys fess up....

Old 02-09-2008, 09:25 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
When I was a kid in the 70's we used to cut school and take the bus into Manhatten and hang out in Times Square. Now I look back and wonder how they used to let 14 year old kids into the peep shows. Back then it was anything goes in NYC. Things are so much different now. I know I wasen't the only youngster coming home with a smile on my face ....Come on guys fess up....
NYC wow you were brave! we werent allowed to cross the street! hense the reason for playing together FROM across the street--lol

Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
OK I didn't see this one. In the city where we were born and being and living with lower middleclass neighbors we played bottlecaps. We melted crayons into wax in a soda bottle caps and we drew a square board with 13 numbers. The person who got to 13 first was the winner it was drawn in the dead center of the board and surrounded by poison. I showed my kids how to play it about ten years ago and they thought it was so cool. They played for 2 years and moved on. OK now you got me going, we used to pitch nickels and pennies against the wall. The person that got closest to the wall was the winner and if the coin stood up against the wall they called that a leaner and if you knocked it down you were an automatic winner. I just shared top secret, unauthorized city games that should and must not be shared with anyone. LOL. This thread makes me feel 40 years younger. Gotta love Jersey

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
OK I didn't see this one. In the city where we were born and being and living with lower middleclass neighbors we played bottlecaps. We melted crayons into wax in a soda bottle caps and we drew a square board with 13 numbers. The person who got to 13 first was the winner it was drawn in the dead center of the board and surrounded by poison. I showed my kids how to play it about ten years ago and they thought it was so cool. They played for 2 years and moved on. OK now you got me going, we used to pitch nickels and pennies against the wall. The person that got closest to the wall was the winner and if the coin stood up against the wall they called that a leaner and if you knocked it down you were an automatic winner. I just shared top secret, unauthorized city games that should and must not be shared with anyone. LOL. This thread makes me feel 40 years younger. Gotta love Jersey
YES!! I played that too - but we called it (mangled misspelling, I'm sure) "skozees" (or something like that). I used to love to mix the crayon colors together

Old 02-10-2008, 07:49 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post

Ditto - my friend and I would hop on the bus and take the PATH into the village - starting when I was 13. But alas, no male revues or anything like that

After school one day when I was 16, I changed out of my school uniform, went into the village, and got a fake id. I actually pointed the place out to my friends a few months ago when we all went into the city, and my son asked "Mom, what's a fake id?".

Old 02-10-2008, 10:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Skelsies in lower Manhattan, Skelly in the rest of the boroughs. The big thing was to go to the local grocery store and take...I mean borrow the top off of a Prell shampoo bottle. It was a lot better than a soda bottle cap because it held a lot more wax and slid better. We played when the winner got to 13 the rest had to head for the hills (which was any place in the park). Blast any players cap 3X in a row and you kept his cap. My mother had to sew more patches in my pants knees and I caught more grief for playing that game than I care to remember. For those of you who grew up in NYC here is a good website that will bring back memories. Streetplay.com: Stickball, handball, spaldeens, and more!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
YES!! I played that too - but we called it (mangled misspelling, I'm sure) "skozees" (or something like that). I used to love to mix the crayon colors together
See my post above . It wasn't good times, it was great times. We were all kids that had nothing but could spend a whole day outside playing with just a Spaldeen and a bottle cap.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Skelsies in lower Manhattan, Skelly in the rest of the boroughs. The big thing was to go to the local grocery store and take...I mean borrow the top off of a Prell shampoo bottle. It was a lot better than a soda bottle cap because it held a lot more wax and slid better. We played when the winner got to 13 the rest had to head for the hills (which was any place in the park). Blast any players cap 3X in a row and you kept his cap. My mother had to sew more patches in my pants knees and I caught more grief for playing that game than I care to remember. For those of you who grew up in NYC here is a good website that will bring back memories. Streetplay.com: Stickball, handball, spaldeens, and more!
Thanx for the website, I was going to attempt to draw the board but you made it easy. We lived in Jersey City for over 30 years and I only knew it as bottlecaps. Speaking of spaldeens we used to get an old coat hanger unravel it, go to a corner sewer and FISH out the old balls and play all day. Now it seems that some kids like to be gangbangers thats the cool game to play. How unfortunate

Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Thanx for the website, I was going to attempt to draw the board but you made it easy. We lived in Jersey City for over 30 years and I only knew it as bottlecaps. Speaking of spaldeens we used to get an old coat hanger unravel it, go to a corner sewer and FISH out the old balls and play all day. Now it seems that some kids like to be gangbangers thats the cool game to play. How unfortunate
We always saved either stickball or stoopball for the days finale. It was sure to split the Spaldeen in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey