Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times

Advertisements

Thinking about some of the Jerseyism's in the other thread, got me thinking about the things we used to do up in ol' NJ to pass time...

- Anybody remember cruisin' the circuit in Asbury Park? (Burning gallons of gas driving and sometimes racing in circles around the boardwalk area.)
- Playing 24 hour Skilo on the Seaside Boardwalk (we were 18 and it really ticked off the old ladies when we won).
- Sitting on the old Rt 88 bridge in Pt Pleasant watching the current and the low bridge wreak havoc on the boats in the canal.
- That long drive home up Hwy 35 after closing time from the bars in Seaside.
- Dinner, bowling, and gambling at AC on a Saturday night.
- Drive-in movies
- Watching beachfront fireworks from the special cruises on the charter fishing boats.
- Camping and canoeing in the Pine Barrens.

And so on and so on. What did you all do for fun and to pass the time growing up in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,803 times
I miss the drive-ins the most. It was just so much better then going to a movie theater. Just had a very nostalgic, family type feel to it.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM

316 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Talking wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Thinking about some of the Jerseyism's in the other thread, got me thinking about the things we used to do up in ol' NJ to pass time...

- Anybody remember cruisin' the circuit in Asbury Park? (Burning gallons of gas driving and sometimes racing in circles around the boardwalk area.)
- Playing 24 hour Skilo on the Seaside Boardwalk (we were 18 and it really ticked off the old ladies when we won).
- Sitting on the old Rt 88 bridge in Pt Pleasant watching the current and the low bridge wreak havoc on the boats in the canal.
- That long drive home up Hwy 35 after closing time from the bars in Seaside.
- Dinner, bowling, and gambling at AC on a Saturday night.
- Drive-in movies
- Watching beachfront fireworks from the special cruises on the charter fishing boats.
- Camping and canoeing in the Pine Barrens.

And so on and so on. What did you all do for fun and to pass the time growing up in NJ?
Omg i went with my cousin to seaside and drove up and down the strip there i was so cool.
Bowling was a must i remember when we were in jr high we packed like 9 of us in compacted car. *this was before seat bealt laws *
going to concerts, camping in pine haven campground, loved the drive-in-movies love the one in amboy miss it now the theater that there is closed down there too. fishing on the charter boat. Oh easter sunday going on the easter egg hut in seaside to try and win the bike.
never did but i did win 3 easter baskets one year and cigerettes at age 7 and gave them to my mom, wow,.(would never happen these days)
going to lbi with my grandparents playing dig dug,

Old 02-08-2008, 04:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
driving to seaside at 5am saturdays with a caravan of cars with my family, staying all day at seaside park. going to the boardwalk around 4pm, and then the long drive home, all dirty full of sand, my neck stiff from sunburn, and sleepy from being up so long---just dreading the painful shower to come....ahhh those were the days

Old 02-08-2008, 05:44 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
A gang os would pack up coolers with beer. sandwiches and munchies and headed to Island State Park I believe beer was allowed back then? I cant remember lol....also driving up to Clinton Road in West Milford and sneak in for a swim!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
I miss the drive-ins the most. It was just so much better then going to a movie theater. Just had a very nostalgic, family type feel to it.
Me too. I remember going to the one in Toms River in the 1970's. We would wear our pj's and play on the swings. It was so much fun. Sometime in the 80's it gave way to a bunch of houses-no trace of it left. Very sad.

Nicole

Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Does anyone remember Mr Creeme-the ice cream place and the go-carts on Rt 37? Growing up in Toms River-I used to love going here as a child. I miss that too.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
driving to seaside at 5am saturdays with a caravan of cars with my family, staying all day at seaside park. going to the boardwalk around 4pm, and then the long drive home, all dirty full of sand, my neck stiff from sunburn, and sleepy from being up so long---just dreading the painful shower to come....ahhh those were the days
OMG...I remember the SAME exact thing...coming home all sunburned and we used to eat dinner at the Rustler's Steakhouse...kind of like a buffet style. I have no idea where that was but it was such a treat when we were at the shore.

A lot of us from the northern NJ area use to cruise Ridge Road through North Arlington, Lyndhurst and Kearny back in the mid to late 80's.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 AM

I remember the go carts on Rte 37.......they were so much fun and it seemed you got a lot of laps to go around.........

Old 02-08-2008, 06:21 AM

Does anyone recall Palisades Park (I vaguely do) But I do remember Betrands Island (not sure of spelling) And I also recall around Halloween they had "Scream in the Dark" in old abandoned buildings they were really scarey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey