Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:31 AM

15 posts, read 14,022 times

Advertisements

Thank you PDD.

I am coming from Rochester, NY. I feel New Brunswick might be similar? We have nice areas, good areas, and then areas where there is a shooting/death 1-2 times a week. So, I feel as if I know when I'm in a good area, and when I am in a bad one.

And yes, It is almost impossible to find a place in Montclair for a reasonable price.

I feel my 3 choices are Montclair, Morristown, and New Brunswick.

Any of you know which town it would be easiest to meet new people out of the 3?

Thank you everyone for your advice! I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 AM

15 posts, read 14,022 times
Can anyone shed light on what Nutley, NJ is like? As well as Bloomfield, NJ? I have found pretty nice apartments for a good price, but that scares me bc seems like they're cheap/good price bc they're in bad areas. Please any advice will help me!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Bloomfield is mostly fine. It fits with an earlier poster of being close to one of the target towns (like Montclair), but not paying the premium to be in that town or school district. Stay more on the north end, away from the East orange border.

I don't know Nutley much. My impression is lower-middle to middle class and I think very Italian. Reasonably safe as far as I know.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:16 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
Check out Highland Park. Near but not in New Brunswick, easy access to 1&9, cute and funky downtown...and near collegey things close to Rutgers.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:33 AM

862 posts, read 976,698 times
Nutley is a residential type town, middle class, mostly family's, bloomfield is ok but stay away from the part near the border with Newark, that too is a residential type town, no nightlife there, ok towns.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:45 AM

684 posts, read 714,040 times
You have towns that have easy commute to NYC. There are some trade offs here. Montclair and Morristown, have a night life + train for commuters. A quiet place with no walking distance NYC commute options but back yard for the dog. Night life in driving distance. Center you google maps on Springfield and consider all neighboring towns.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 PM

76 posts, read 77,147 times
NJ native here.

Try Paramus or Edgewater.

Both nice towns, close to NYC and tons of shopping centers & decent nightlife.

You'll need a car to navigate to everything though.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:02 AM

90 posts, read 145,385 times
You wanna add banana and mango trees too?

Old 02-21-2016, 05:15 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,737 times
As far as nightlife goes nothing beats being near NYC especially at your age. So i would consider hoboken/jersey city just for the nightlife/singles scene. Otherwise, Montclair or Morristown have the best nightlife outside of those places and you can still hit the city on weekends(though getting out may be a challenge). Ive done a similar role from both the Montclair and the Hoboken/Jersey city area and it was easy getting to all those places.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:56 PM

76 posts, read 77,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
As far as nightlife goes nothing beats being near NYC especially at your age. So i would consider hoboken/jersey city just for the nightlife/singles scene. Otherwise, Montclair or Morristown have the best nightlife outside of those places and you can still hit the city on weekends(though getting out may be a challenge). Ive done a similar role from both the Montclair and the Hoboken/Jersey city area and it was easy getting to all those places.
Hoboken also has the PATH it's about 90$ a month for unlimited train rides from NJ to NYC.

Nightlife Thurs - Saturday is great. Tons of bars and places to eat....

IMO, best town in Northern New Jersey if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey