Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceseeker View Post
Well, it just is ironic that at a $550K budget (which is not small), it is difficult to fulfill a reasonable expectation of a single income household of having a decent sized house with a yard and good schools at a commuting distance to work. Maybe I possibly need to move out of NJ. I work really hard and the commute of 3 hours is becoming a pain. My compensation is around $200K including bonus. I don't want to fall into a debt trap. That's the reason for the above budget. But, it is hard to believe it is so difficult to this in NJ.
It's only difficult because of the mental prison within which you've chosen to incarcerate yourself. There are many homes in your price range where you will live comfortably, and close to Manhattan, and in a good school district. But you have locked yourself into an entitlement mentality that is not justified in this area. $550,000 is a reasonably modest budget, and $200,000 income is comfortable upper middle class. You want a big young house with a short commute, a big yard, and great schools. That is unreasonable in northern NJ. Those digs require twice your income and twice your budget. And even then, is a million going to do any serious damage in Millburn? Nope.

Reset your brain and get into a nice 1970s-1980s 4 BR Split or Bi-Level in Scotch Plains or New Providence or Cranford. You won't die in one of these homes. The family can thrive in a good school district and your commute will be short enough to actually see and enjoy them at night. Your primary responsibility in this venture is the short commute time and the schools, not square footage of either the house or the site. If you aren't home at a decent time and with enough energy to enjoy the family and eat dinner at a decent hour, then nothing else matters. At all.

Buyers can sometimes be their own worst enemy.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 02-25-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 09:04 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Well, it just is ironic that at a $550K budget (which is not small), it is difficult to fulfill a reasonable expectation of a single income household of having a decent sized house with a yard and good schools at a commuting distance to work. Maybe I possibly need to move out of NJ. I work really hard and the commute of 3 hours is becoming a pain. My compensation is around $200K including bonus. I don't want to fall into a debt trap. That's the reason for the above budget. But, it is hard to believe it is so difficult to this in NJ.
Your expectations are seemingly far beyond what the typical educated, working couple would expect to get in a house. Your budget is only a little higher then what the same couple could afford, so things dont add up.

You can find a nice sized house with a yard to enjoy, good schools, and reasonably close to work. however your expectations are not reasonable for NJ.

IMO you should make some compromises and deal with it. You have a great job. You can get a great house in a great town. There is a lot more to life then living in a mcmansion.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 02-25-2016 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Well, it just is ironic that at a $550K budget (which is not small), it is difficult to fulfill a reasonable expectation of a single income household of having a decent sized house with a yard and good schools at a commuting distance to work.
You can get all of that. You can't get it in new construction. You will be very limited if you also need an NYC commute, but you can probably still manage it. But you have to toss out the new construction idea; there's rather little new construction fitting that description, most of it is small lot anyway, and all of it is expensive.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:11 AM

122 posts, read 183,889 times
Folks - I already clarified that I am open to older construction but I still see messages saying I am only looking for new construction.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,486 times
Quote:
Welcome to NJ.

I think you are better off buying a home in the 400-450 range, and dropping 100+k in renovations before you move in. The new construction costs in this state are absurd. There is simply not enough land close to nyc, and people have $$$$$$.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Folks - I already clarified that I am open to older construction but I still see messages saying I am only looking for new construction.
And you've gotten advice...so what's the issue? Your previous post, while possibly not intentional, came across whiny and with entitlement issues.

The Property Brothers are looking to film in NJ, maybe hook up with them.

The 'Property Brothers' are coming to Jersey

Old 02-26-2016, 08:00 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
And you've gotten advice...so what's the issue? Your previous post, while possibly not intentional, came across whiny and with entitlement issues.

Exactly. And despite how interesting you think your conundrum is, not everyone that responds is going to read through 6 pages of comments to catch updates.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

I am really getting frustrated with the rudeness of replies that are coming through (possibly a culture issue?). What exactly are you calling entitlement issues? I was just asking a question about something that would be considered reasonable expectation in other parts of the country. If you want to answer it, answer, else don't answer. No reason to be nasty.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Exactly. And despite how interesting you think your conundrum is, not everyone that responds is going to read through 6 pages of comments to catch updates.
Ok. Then don't just comment on something without knowing any further clarification that has been offered. I started the thread with a rational question because I was not familiar with the market; partially halfway I learnt it is not reasonable to get a newer construction, so I reframed my expectation. If you did not know that and are still responding to the original message because you did not have the time to read through any clarification i have provided further, it doesn't make much sense for me to keep receiving these kind of responses.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:24 AM

264 posts, read 606,133 times
We and am sure thousands others started our house hunt with similar expectations. I think in your own time, you will come to the same conclusions that others are telling you here, it may seem harsh but its true! Our budget inched up, the longer we looked, because we refused to compromise on schools and location. Prioritize your list, and see what you end up with. Two things I will mention:
1. The age of a home isn't always a good indicator of reliability, older well updated and maintained homes will surprise you.
2. Privacy is over rated. I don't want to be able to look inside my neighbor's home, but its nice to be able to wabe across the street and look out for each other. This is NJ and yes, its crowded. All urban areas are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey