Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:27 PM

244 posts, read 644,144 times

Advertisements

If a person were to be in the Pre-Trial Intervention "PTI" program in the state of NJ; would that person be able to move to another state before the PTI period is complete? The state in question is Massachusetts. I am curious if I were to move to Massachusetts for a better job, if I could transfer my PTI from NJ to MA.

If your answer is to suggest asking an attorney or the probation officer; my reason for asking here, first, is that the attorney doesn't respond without being paid more and the probation period is at the very beginning and without a longer standing relationship with the probation officer it seems unwise to ask this question so soon.

Thank you. Appreciate any insight here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 09:05 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
I'm sure it's a decision of the probation officer, it may be the beginning of the person's PTI but I don't think you get on PTI unless it's your first offense. If you have a bonafide job offer, you may be able to transfer.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:00 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
The reason why the attorney is going to ask for money is because they're going to have the legal background on the case that no rando on the internet has. They're also going to know the particulars of the law you're asking about in a way that I wouldn't exactly trust a complete and total stranger to tell you the actual legalities of your case.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
The reason why the attorney is going to ask for money is because they're going to have the legal background on the case that no rando on the internet has. They're also going to know the particulars of the law you're asking about in a way that I wouldn't exactly trust a complete and total stranger to tell you the actual legalities of your case.
Yes, I fully understand your point. It's just that in my situation, I got a mediocre (at best) attorney, because you get what you pay for and $10K (which is what I've paid so far) doesn't seem to be enough for a good attorney. At this point, now that the judgement is complete, he won't even reply to me.

And, yes, this is a first offense and not even something I did. It's an ex-husband issue. The state of NJ couldn't be bothered to find my ex since is live across the country now. So they pursued me because our finances used to be connected 7 years ago and I could not prove that I did not know the circumstances, so I accepted PTI in order to avoid an indictment and trial because I was afraid I'd never be able to prove my ignorance to the situation.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I'm sure it's a decision of the probation officer, it may be the beginning of the person's PTI but I don't think you get on PTI unless it's your first offense. If you have a bonafide job offer, you may be able to transfer.

Thank you

Yes, first offense. Never did an illegal thing in my life. Being punished for something ex-husband did. The whole thing is surreal. And never mind the background check fears. Even though there is no conviction or arrest, it's possible PTI shows on a check and maybe I'll never get a job anyway. Life ruined. Be very very careful who you marry.... moral to the story.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Oh, I get it and I understand you wanting to ask here first, but everyone's advice is going to be "should" "might" "ought to" instead of "yes" or "no" which is what you really need.

Sorry for your circumstances, but it does sound like you might be better off without him no matter where you end up.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:38 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
There weren't written terms for the PTI outlining things like this?

Otherwise, maybe contact your court? http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/crdivof.pdf

Old 03-04-2016, 05:49 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Transfers are not unheard of but usually before the case is completed. Transfers after they have started might be permitted but the state of new residence would have to accept that transfer. Certainly not a given.

Permission would have to be obtained through the Administrative Office of the Court. The Probation Officer themselves is not going to have much say in this transfer.

Without a official transfer, the PTI might be revoked so make sure whatever you do is approved by the courts. Try stating here to get the information.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/crdivof.pdf

Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Oh, I get it and I understand you wanting to ask here first, but everyone's advice is going to be "should" "might" "ought to" instead of "yes" or "no" which is what you really need.

Sorry for your circumstances, but it does sound like you might be better off without him no matter where you end up.
So I called the probation officer directly and asked the question of what would happen if I found a job in a new state and needed to move. She was unbelievably easy going about it. She said she would not transfer probation, but keep me with her, and we can have monthly conversations by phone. She was actually nice to me and hoped I got the job. To say I was taken aback is an understatement.

Now that that's cleared up I just have to lose sleep over the background check. While this is not an arrest or conviction it still may come up and nobody is going to hire someone with any flags on a background check. The point of PTI is supposed to be to get back living one's life, I wish that also meant PTI would *not* show on a check.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:26 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Thanks for the update. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: