Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:49 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times

Advertisements

They say that divorces are so expensive because they are worth it, but what would be the least expensive option here in NJ?

Say there are no kids, and it would be an easy 50/50 split.

I've heard mediators are a good way to go when the parties can work most things out on their own.

Anyone have experience with mediators, or if it's possible, simply filing your own papers? Where is a good place to start?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 05:12 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
When I got my second divorce, I just priced a few lawyers in the county I was in when the 18mo was up. We had no property to divide, so it was just walk into court and the judge pronounced us divorced people. She didn't even get a lawyer, that divorce agreement is 1page. My first divorce was about 15pages, but there were child custody, visitation and support issues. Some people actually do their own divorce. It helps if you have someone help with the paperwork. If you've worked everything out on your own, you don't really need a mediator. In both cases I was separated for over 18mos and there were no property issues.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
They say that divorces are so expensive because they are worth it, but what would be the least expensive option here in NJ?

I've heard mediators are a good way to go when the parties can work most things out on their own.

Anyone have experience with mediators, or if it's possible, simply filing your own papers? Where is a good place to start?

Thanks.
Do you both work and earn roughly the same amount of income? Do you have property? Is the separation amicable?

The answers to those questions will give you an idea how cheap the divorce may be.

Especially if one spouse has been the primary breadwinner.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:

Thanks.
An amicable divorce is the best way to go until one party talks to a lawyer. Then forgetaboutit.

Avoid lawyers at all costs because they will.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:

Thanks.
If there is no property and no kids or little property of value and both parties want the divorce, just pick up the papers from the divorce court and file yourself - pro se. Cost you about $250 beans and you're done.

I never got married. I have no idea why anyone would do this. Worst business contract ever invented the marriage license.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM

141 posts, read 209,008 times
FYI even with a mediator things can get bogged down.

People can get seriously noncooperative when money is involved even if it seems to be an equal split of assets. In my case, my ex was going to get a major portion of ours as he rightly should have for reasons not going into here. No alimony (wasn't necessary), assets split evenly according to ownership, he got nearly all the personal effects we had accumulated over 10 years too. I just didn't have it in me to worry about tangible things. House proceeds went entirely to him as well since most of the money to purchase it came from him or his family.

However, suddenly towards the end of negotiations he balked and refused me everything which had already been agreed upon. Again, which was fairly minimal.

The only way it moved forward was by me literally getting up and walking out of the room, threatening to go to court if he didn't act reasonably - which would have cost him more. The mediator was able to talk sense into him to so we could move past the impasse.

Divorce is rarely easy. It's just human nature of some to be greedy and vengeful.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:20 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
If there is no property and no kids or little property of value and both parties want the divorce, just pick up the papers from the divorce court and file yourself - pro se. Cost you about $250 beans and you're done.

I never got married. I have no idea why anyone would do this. Worst business contract ever invented the marriage license.
or, file yourself and if you have any problems or questions, hire a lawyer for a 30 minute hour.

i liked being married...for a while.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 AM

862 posts, read 976,698 times
I believe if you use a mediator you still have to hire your own attorney and your spouse has to also, to sign off on what you worked out, just to go over it and make sure one party is not being screwed, mediators are good if you have a lot of property and assets to divide, if you really don't have anything to divide you can probably just get the attorney.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
https://www.completecase.com/online-...ivorce-papers/

Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM

414 posts, read 296,772 times
A shovel and a tarp, or the nearest river. Has been working for 3000 years.

Seriously though, I can't tell you how many people let emotions jump in and make the entire thing a mess. And for no reason but to write checks to lawyers who have yellow pages ads.

Man up, or Woman up. Sit down and negotiate the items you both want. Be realistic.

Never happens, because each one wants to stick it to the other, but in the end, you stick it to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey