Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:34 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia319 View Post
It may be inane and obvious to say so, but anyone who's contemplating a big move should do more than just solicit other people's opinions. They should also tell something about themselves, so that people who advise them can get a better idea of how well they might fit in (or not) in a particular place. People on these forums are always saying how great or awful some place is, but "great" for a 20-something who is looking for rowdy nightlife translates to "awful" for an older person with a family looking for a quiet neighborhood.
I couldn't agree more strongly with that in theory, and that also is a big factor in how safe an area is for someone. Well, who are they? What do they do? How do they behave?

Different people are different. Not everyone has the same tastes, desires or needs. We can't just give a blanket answer and expect it to fit everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Sometimes the cops scare me more in Paterson than the people. I can tell you a crazy story, I was a manager of a Mentally Ill person who needed 24 hours 7 days week care. I had a group of staff. One morning my staff called me and said her car would not start can I take her home. Of course I did, so I drove her home and she was black, I was white and she lived in Paterson, not the best area. So with my luck this was the time when the Bergen Record published an article about white suburbia people going into Paterson to buy drugs and its an open market. The article embarressed the city and cops. Well with my luck a cop pulled us over and could not believe that I was driving home this black women to Paterson. Cop was black too. He ripped my car apart insisted that I swallowed drugs and then gave me a ticket to go to court, I wound up in jail for a charge called loitering in a drug area. I had to go to court 3 times in Paterson, get a lawyer and all three time cop never showed up. I got off but lets just say the cops can be worse than the people of Paterson.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
[quote=stevemorse;2918666] Cop was black too. He ripped my car apart insisted that I swallowed drugs and then gave me a ticket to go to court, I wound up in jail for a charge called loitering in a drug area. This is unfortunate that this happened but did you get a ticket or go to jail. There is a difference.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 40,256 times
This seems to be like a nice place to get some first hand info on the city?
Well, I am looking into doing a little LEGAL business in Paterson but before I drive all the way there can you guys give me a word or two on the neighborhood?
We are talking end of 22nd ave towards market. I know there are some highrises there but I am not sure if those are famos paterson projects.
I've been to Paterson a few times and never had any problems but this is supposed to be a longer term comitment.
May I add that I was born in Europe and not exactly street smart, although NY doesn't scare me a bit
Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
^^^ that is near the Alabama projects, but it is several blocks away. Besides, if NYC doesn't scare you, why should Paterson?

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse
I got off but lets just say the cops can be worse than the people of Paterson.
Steve. You have to realize that most cops in major cities are asses.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 AM

35 posts, read 195,250 times
it's pretty dangerous. if you're looking to relocate, a town around paterson that is low cost but still pretty decent is haledon. wayne is nice, but expensive.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:40 AM

35 posts, read 195,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chant108 View Post
This seems to be like a nice place to get some first hand info on the city?
Well, I am looking into doing a little LEGAL business in Paterson but before I drive all the way there can you guys give me a word or two on the neighborhood?
We are talking end of 22nd ave towards market. I know there are some highrises there but I am not sure if those are famos paterson projects.
I've been to Paterson a few times and never had any problems but this is supposed to be a longer term comitment.
May I add that I was born in Europe and not exactly street smart, although NY doesn't scare me a bit
Thanks a bunch!!!
the thing is, there are nice areas of new york, and there are really bad areas of new york. consider paterson similar to the latter; there really aren't great areas of the town.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:48 AM

^^^ You sure? The Eastside Park is akin to Brownsville? Lakeview is akin to Far Rockaway? Manor Section is akin to Soudview? I'm a native NYer, if you want, I'll be more than happy to take you to the tough areas of Paterson; then the tough areas of NYC. We will see if you feel the same way.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 40,256 times
You guys are tough on me. OK, there are certain parts of NY that I wouldn't venture to if they payed me. Just a few years ago a young guy got killed running away from a group thugs who were after him just cause he hapenned to be white in a wrong neighborhood.
So to make this simple, is the end of 22nd ave a place for a white boy?
I didn't mean to start the whole comparisson thing again. I don't doubt that Paterson has comperable neighborhoods to most NYC neighborhoods just that this particular place I'm asking about compares better to East Village or Harlem (the bad part whatever it's called?)
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey