Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:08 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I want to say yes but really I have no idea. The dormer is a big variable sine it alters the existing roof structure...Short story long, that sounds completely fine for this type of project but I really don;t know given all of the variables. I can tell you my costs I quoted you are 100% accurate based on my individual situation.
Hence my recommendation to the OP to get quotes from contractors. It's kind of like asking "How much is a new septic system?" It could be $25K if you live in South Jersey (but not within any Pinelands Preservation areas) where the soil is very well drained, the water table is low, and a gravity system would work fine. Or it could be $60K for a pumped mound system if you live in the Highlands, bedrock is very shallow, and you're within 300' of a T1 stream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Hence my recommendation to the OP to get quotes from contractors. It's kind of like asking "How much is a new septic system?" It could be $25K if you live in South Jersey (but not within any Pinelands Preservation areas) where the soil is very well drained, the water table is low, and a gravity system would work fine. Or it could be $60K for a pumped mound system if you live in the Highlands, bedrock is very shallow, and you're within 300' of a T1 stream.
Getting quotes from contractors is unfortunately not an easy thing to do, especially this time of year. It takes forever to get them to your house and then it takes even longer to get a quote out of them. The catch 22 is that usually the easier it is to get an appointment/bid, the worse the contractor and a job like this usually will require at 2-3 different contractors unless you are really confident in a GC that has awesome subs. Something I've never been comfortable with, I like to hand pick everyone and make sure the guy giving me the quote is the guy doing the work, period.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:21 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Getting quotes from contractors is unfortunately not an easy thing to do, especially this time of year. It takes forever to get them to your house and then it takes even longer to get a quote out of them. The catch 22 is that usually the easier it is to get an appointment/bid, the worse the contractor and a job like this usually will require at 2-3 different contractors unless you are really confident in a GC that has awesome subs. Something I've never been comfortable with, I like to hand pick everyone and make sure the guy giving me the quote is the guy doing the work, period.
I get that, but given the choice between really good information that requires a bit of legwork vs. vague/potentially useless information that requires little effort, which is better?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I get that, but given the choice between really good information that requires a bit of legwork vs. vague/potentially useless information that requires little effort, which is better?
is that one of those rhetoricalistical questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey