Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:00 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times

Advertisements

help! we saw a fixer upper for sale in west milford but so many houses there seem to be built literally on rocks and have giant boulders as their backyard with no grass. in fact the garage/basement was built around the boulders. anyone have any insight on how to live with a house like this. isnt it extremely slippery and dangerous in winter?

i realize they were probably built as summer lake houses, but now people live there full time. opinions? insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM

166 posts, read 326,819 times
Which neighborhood?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
help! we saw a fixer upper for sale in west milford but so many houses there seem to be built literally on rocks and have giant boulders as their backyard with no grass. in fact the garage/basement was built around the boulders. anyone have any insight on how to live with a house like this. isnt it extremely slippery and dangerous in winter? i realize they were probably built as summer lake houses, but now people live there full time. opinions? insights?
If mountainous terrain bothers you why on earth are you looking for a home in the Highlands?

Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,828 times
Quote:
help! we saw a fixer upper for sale in west milford but so many houses there seem to be built literally on rocks and have giant boulders as their backyard with no grass. in fact the garage/basement was built around the boulders. anyone have any insight on how to live with a house like this. isnt it extremely slippery and dangerous in winter?

i realize they were probably built as summer lake houses, but now people live there full time. opinions? insights?
I grew up in WM. Main issues are the septics and the well water. Need to make sure both of those are good before you buy. In fact, you will probably need a new septic so should plan on budgeting for that.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If mountainous terrain bothers you why on earth are you looking for a home in the Highlands?

it's not "mountainous terrain". the back yard is completely bedrock--there is a difference. i want to know how people would use it. how does the dog run around? how do you walk out back and not slip. or do they not use it at all?

and speaking of septic--where is it? i would have to assume somewhere in the front because it cannot possibly be in the back!

Old 04-14-2016, 03:55 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,983,536 times
Quote:
it's not "mountainous terrain". the back yard is completely bedrock--there is a difference. i want to know how people would use it. how does the dog run around? how do you walk out back and not slip. or do they not use it at all?
Taken from the West Milford Township website front page:

Quote:
West Milford, an 80-plus square mile municipality located in Passaic County, NJ, sits in the "Heart of the Highlands." Its beautiful mountainous terrain, dotted with nearly forty tranquil lakes, is crisscrossed by narrow roads that run along its scenic valleys and ridges.
Quote:
and speaking of septic--where is it? i would have to assume somewhere in the front because it cannot possibly be in the back!
If its an old lake bungalow and hasn't changed hands recently, it's probably on a cesspool, which is usually just a 4' or so diameter seepage pit-they require much less room than a septic, so they were easier to shoehorn in between outcroppings of ledge. Otherwise, the property likely has a mound system, which consists of a drainfield installed in an artificially constructed mound. The septage has to be pumped into it rather than allowed to flow by gravity. If the property does not already have one, it will have to before it's sold.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:44 AM

luckily for us we will not be buying it.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:55 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,828 times
Quote:

The septic field has to be located away from the well and in location where it can seep into the soild so it is likely not in the backyard given how it is all rocks according to your description.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:57 PM

they didnt post any pics of the backyard,no surprise when we saw it in person it all looked like this:

just type bedrock and look at the images--the whole yard--NO grass at all

the garage had bedrock jutting into it, you couldn't actually fit a car in it. in fact the listing stated no garage when there is obviously a garage door. now i know why. i really dont know how they built this house and the neighboring ones. amazing

Last edited by findinghope; 04-14-2016 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: would not let me post pic

Old 04-15-2016, 08:18 AM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Boulders from the last glacier keep the prissy rif raf out. how can that be a bad thing?

Masons mountain side inn, the Carvel on marshall hill road, Pete's tavern, Rocky's Diner and the A&W ..... the WM of days gone by, along with Nairobi airport.

WM s the snow belt of NJ as well as being chock full of boulders, bobcats and giant pileated woodpeckers......and the bears! boulders are the least of your problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey