Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,423 times

Advertisements

Interested in a house close (1000 ft) to the tracks. Want to know how bad is the train noise in the night, particularly when the train horns.

Also I am struggled in making a decision to purchase a house in the Estates of Princeton Junction. It does have lots of advantages like close to train station, relatively new home, seems to be good community, etc. however, the drawbacks are also obvious like very small lot (like 6000sqft for 3000sqst house), and close to rail tracks. Will these drawbacks affect resale value.

Your advise and information will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:53 AM

108 posts, read 152,203 times
I can't address the Princeton Junction train but for the past 30+ years I've lived 4 blocks from the train tracks in Belmar and after hearing the train horn for the first few weeks the noise just blended in and really haven't heard it for years.

And anyway I've always thought hearing a train horn was a benefit of living in a small town.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
You will hear the train from the Estates of Princeton Junction, some of those big homes that back to the woods also back to the tracks. Interesting, when those homes were initially marketed (in 2004-2005) there was a 20K lot premium for "backing to the woods".

Are there trees or other homes between the house and the track?

We replaced our builder grade windows with Pellas and that made a huge difference in noise transfer but we live a bit further away.

As mingus said some people get used to the noise after a while.

Check the train schedule, there are few trains running in the middle of the night. I believe they start again around 5 AM during the week and after 9 AM on the weekends.

That neighbourhood has been pretty stable, especially the big houses. There was a suit filed against Toll in 2013 by the HOA about some deficits in the infrastructure and water infiltration (in the townhomes), don't know how that turned out.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:40 PM

167 posts, read 335,125 times
When I lived in NC, I was a few blocks from where the train crossed the road and could hear the whistle blow very well inside my house. That track had trains running on it every few hours, day and night. In the year that I lived there, I never did get used to the sound and it woke me a couple times per night just about every single night. Drove me nuts. I guess it just depends on how noise sensitive you are. I'm very sensitive to noise and sleep lightly, so it just didn't work for me. From this and other experience, I refuse to purchase a home near railroad crossings, stop signs or high schools with large football fields. YMMV.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I thought I responded, hope this is not a duplicate. Anyway, the homes there have held their value so it's not a detriment.
The lots are small, but if that is not an issue for you then go for it.
Trains do not run all night long, and do not blow the whistle all the time. I would say that the best thing to do si to try and stay in the house for an hour or so (even day time there will be probably 4 trains all together both directions) and see what it sounds like from inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: