Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 08:00 AM

23 posts, read 17,706 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am recently shifted to NJ(Metropark) and working in NYC. I heard a lot about Princeton University. I want to visit it, can I make a random visit there? Is there any prior permission needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Princeton University's beautiful and historic campus is an open one, so anyone can enter the grounds, take pictures, and soak-in the atmosphere.

When you go, try to make time to tour the university's art museum, which is a gem, and is free. And, if Nassau Hall (the original building) is open, that is also worth a look. Nassau Hall was actually the location of the new US government for a brief time during the American Revolution, so it is steeped in history.

The Firestone Library is another building that you should see, and the university's chapel--adjacent to the library--is a cool and beautiful refuge on a hot day. If you are lucky, the choir might be rehearsing while you are there.

Street parking can be a bit...tight...so I advise using the municipal parking garage, which located one block west of Nassau Street, and which is relatively inexpensive. The campus is only a very short walk up Witherspoon Street from the parking garage, and on the way to the campus you can avail yourself of a cup of coffee at Small World, an independent coffee roasting company that brews extremely good coffee.

Enjoy!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Thanks for information. What is best hour to visit? I have to drive here.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:10 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhusa View Post
Thanks for information. What is best hour to visit? I have to drive here.
The campus is always open during daytime, so I think that the exact time of your arrival is more or less irrelevant, except--of course--when it comes to traffic congestion on Route 1. I would suggest that you avoid the AM & PM rush hours.

The art museum does have somewhat limited hours. Take a look at their website:
Visit | Princeton University Art Museum

Old 06-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The campus is always open during daytime, so I think that the exact time of your arrival is more or less irrelevant, except--of course--when it comes to traffic congestion on Route 1. I would suggest that you avoid the AM & PM rush hours.

The art museum does have somewhat limited hours. Take a look at their website:
Visit | Princeton University Art Museum

Thank you so much. Let me plan it today. Hope will get some good snap there?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,853,670 times
If taking NJ Transit it's NorthEast corridor line to Princeton Junction.

At Princeton Junction get on the Dinky train which goes back & forth between PJ & Princeton.

Dinky station in Princeton is short walk to campus.

If driving than you can park for free on nights & weekends only on William St. (Lot 10 on map.)
https://m.princeton.edu/map/

Check out PU's Orange Key tours.
https://www.princeton.edu/main/visiting/tours/

And, as another poster said, don't miss the free Princeton Art Museum on the campus.
Paintings are upstairs, antiquities downstairs.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:45 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I was going to add about the tours of the campus - but daliowa added above. I took one about 20 years ago and it was excellent. I plan to do it again soon. (and free)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: