Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,060 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking into moving to Sparta, Nj. We love the houses around there, school district seems great and the small town- family oriented feel.

My only concern at this point is how friendly is the town of Sparta to people of color.

My husband and I are both born and raised in the USA but come from Guyanese/ West Indian descent.

Do i need to be concerned with any racism in this town or possibly my kids who will go to the Sparta schools?

This is of concern to me as where I live now in Piscataway, NJ and it is very diverse and never had to face any sort of racism where I live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurgana View Post
My husband and I have been looking into moving to Sparta, Nj. We love the houses around there, school district seems great and the small town- family oriented feel.

My only concern at this point is how friendly is the town of Sparta to people of color.

My husband and I are both born and raised in the USA but come from Guyanese/ West Indian descent.

Do i need to be concerned with any racism in this town or possibly my kids who will go to the Sparta schools?

This is of concern to me as where I live now in Piscataway, NJ and it is very diverse and never had to face any sort of racism where I live now.
In short ... yes.

With a town in Sussex County that has a 1% black population, there will be a decent amount of ignorant racism.

I am Asian and went to school where there are a ton of Asians and where it was all white, and the racism was there at both, but different.

In a nutshell, there will still be racism at Piscataway, but it will be less than Sparta, and since many of your kid's friends will be 'people of color' at Piscataway, they will have more backing.

Of course, it's 2016 and things are different than when I went to school. Things were so much worse when I was a kid. I've got stories... but I wouldn't worry about it being a traumatic experience. Mine wasn't ... at all.

But I would want my kids in a diverse school.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:16 PM

33 posts, read 177,946 times
No. This town has maybe 4 black families and frankly people treat them around here with the upmost respect. As long as you keep your house nice and be decent to people I dont see what the problem with you being in Sparta. If you want to give your kids the chance at a good life Sparta is the place. But dont expect many people that look like them.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
I wouldn't say Sparta has an issue with people being rascist basically because 99% of the towns caucasian.But I'll put it like this , an area where every other pick up has monster truck tires and little confederate flags all over it, and on rt 15 its not unheard of to see a black person pulled over with a line of sparta cops pulled behind them should give an indication on how well diversity and social exceptance go in the area .

Old 06-16-2016, 04:20 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
I wouldn't say Sparta has an issue with people being rascist basically because 99% of the towns caucasian.But I'll put it like this , an area where every other pick up has monster truck tires and little confederate flags all over it, and on rt 15 its not unheard of to see a black person pulled over with a line of sparta cops pulled behind them should give an indication on how well diversity and social exceptance go in the area .
Yeah. Sparta and it's neighbors are a real Selma, AL circa 1963.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:41 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Yep them monster tires and cops all lined up harassing peeps would scare me away too. lmao

Old 06-16-2016, 09:15 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
For adults, it's no problem.

Personally, I'd get more racist remarks in Newark than Sparta and I'd rather live in Newark.

For kids, it's different, they say whatever they want. It's funny, because my parents never even considered that a mostly white place (especially a relatively well off one) could be racist. When we told them later that it was, they were a bit surprised.

My sister went through the same experience and she will not place her child in a school that has any less than 10% Asians. Lol.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 AM

191 posts, read 393,891 times
Haha some of the comments make me crack up like some of the posters live in some pc bubble where rascism couldn't possibly exist anywhere in Nj , get serious!Is Sparta the same as Alabama in the 60's, obviously not, but its definitely not a place like Monclair either where diversity is embrassed.I really have never seen to many blacks in Sparta so who knows, just going by what I've heard from friends and family that live and grew up there .If anyone is interested, I've also heard stories about Lake Mohawks treatment of people of color moving in back in the 60's and how well that went over, but of course there couldn't possibly be any truth to that , right?

Old 06-19-2016, 08:34 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Keep in mind you're saying back in the 60's,,, I think no one really knows because everyone's personal experience also depends on the actions and reactions of the other people they meet.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:46 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Ummm Sparta is a middle class to upper middle class town. Yes, it is predominately white and I'm sure there are a few racist ignorant people living there. You also have many who moved there from places like Hudson, Bergen and Essex counties, used to diversity.

As far as pick ups with monster tires and confederate flags, no, maybe 20 miles up the road in Sussex boro but not Sparta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey